Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I think that game answers the question of whether it was the defensive coach or players that was the issue. Huge improvements needed at all positions on defense in the off season. Secondary particularly is a cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head, Kev. Defense was awful. No, awful doesnt even begin to describe it. Putrid, abysmal. I was genuinely surprised by Mariota's play last night. I thought he did okay. Yes there was the pick but he was mostly efficient and had the ability to keep plays from breaking down by leaving the pocket. The Offense will do okay on his watch. Apparently Wade Philips wants the DC job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

How long before Gruden gets the bullet? Are we any better than when under Del Rio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭eire4

mushykeogh wrote: »
    How long before Gruden gets the bullet? Are we any better than when under Del Rio?

Didn't he sign a massive 10 year contract, think he did. So if the Raiders want to fire him just 3 years in it will be quite the pay off. To be fair I feel at least there has been progress each year. Obviously this off season is big. There needs to be a serious upgrade on the defensive side of things to compliment the offense which while obviously not without holes is in pretty good shape.

eire4 wrote: »
    Didn't he sign a massive 10 year contract, think he did. So if the Raiders want to fire him just 3 years in it will be quite the pay off. To be fair I feel at least there has been progress each year. Obviously this off season is big. There needs to be a serious upgrade on the defensive side of things to compliment the offense which while obviously not without holes is in pretty good shape.

I agree that there has been progress but my Main worry about the Raiders since Gruden has come back is that we have brought in so many players that have been with the team for less than a season and then released - it feels to me as if Gruden and Mayock are trying to throw enough players into the mix and hoping a team forms rather than having a plan for the defense.

From what I have seen of Jonathon Abrahm and Henry Ruggs I feel as if these were 2 misses in the 1st round (not busts because they can contribute) but they are not the difference makers we need them to be. Abrahm has very poor tackle technique and seems to want to go for the knock out blow everytime - that type of safety is a dinosaur in the NFL now.

I don't doubt Ruggs speed and I hope he proves me wrong next year but he has dropped too many passes this year and not shown enough awareness on touchline catches for him to prosper in a west coast offense.

The players we have drafted in the later rounds have been way better - Renfrow and Crosby have been highlights.

This offseason will be another big step - the rebuild will be harder as drafting in the middle of the pack so it will be key to get some players who can immediately contribute. Pressure is on Mayock because no way are we throwing 70 million away and getting a new Head Coach.

• Advertisement

Lads, in a rare moment of off topicness, can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy christmas? As Raiders fans we plough a bit of a lonely furrow, being a team that is existing on past glories as opposed to current success but its nice knowing that I'm not the only deluded lunatic out there. This year has been mental. I got COVID back in early March (I gig in a Band and went down with it following a gig in a Malahide venue that was crawling with Italians the weekend of the cancelled Rugby match) and, although I have a day job, my weekends have never been as quiet in 20 years! And December is the same. So American Football has certainly helped me stop going insane and I do enjoy logging on every Monday or Tuesday to see what you guys thought of our latest win/loss. So thank you! And may you all have a very happy christmas! Now back to the matter at hand..... :)

Lads, in a rare moment of off topicness, can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy christmas? As Raiders fans we plough a bit of a lonely furrow, being a team that is existing on past glories as opposed to current success but its nice knowing that I'm not the only deluded lunatic out there. This year has been mental. I got COVID back in early March (I gig in a Band and went down with it following a gig in a Malahide venue that was crawling with Italians the weekend of the cancelled Rugby match) and, although I have a day job, my weekends have never been as quiet in 20 years! And December is the same. So American Football has certainly helped me stop going insane and I do enjoy logging on every Monday or Tuesday to see what you guys thought of our latest win/loss. So thank you! And may you all have a very happy christmas! Now back to the matter at hand..... :)

Happy christmas to you as well ! wishing for a raiders win tomorrow to finish the year on a positive note.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Happy christmas to you as well ! wishing for a raiders win tomorrow to finish the year on a positive note.

Right back at you Happy Christmas and lets all hope for a much better 2021 both on and off the field.

I believe the phrase Last Chance Saloon is appropriate for this one.

So I didnt get a chance to watch the game live - I saw the score on Sunday morning and left it at that. Having watched it now all I can say is if you go 0 for 9(or whatever the final stat line was) on 3rd down and have the ball for 8 minutes less than your opponent the chances of winning are slim.

It may be a blessing that we don't go to the playoffs because I fear a hiding from the Bills in Buffalo based on the way the schedule is shaping up.

So I didnt get a chance to watch the game live - I saw the score on Sunday morning and left it at that. Having watched it now all I can say is if you go 0 for 9(or whatever the final stat line was) on 3rd down and have the ball for 8 minutes less than your opponent the chances of winning are slim.

It may be a blessing that we don't go to the playoffs because I fear a hiding from the Bills in Buffalo based on the way the schedule is shaping up.
    I stayed up and watching it was unbearable. Especially from the moment that Fitz went behind Center for Miami. Flores deserves to be coach of the year, for the way that he has transformed Miami. Gruden could do worse than to take a few leaves out of Flores's book. Also its painful watching knowing our only deep threat is Aglohoro and thats not why he was brought in , Ruggs is anonymous. Maybe he shapes up in the offseason but that 1st pick at the moment looks like a bust, if we take the season overall.

• Advertisement

Sorry to read there that you got sick last March. Hopefully your recovery was 100% though and that 2021 is a much much better year for yourself and family. Sport really gets put into perspective when you think about peoples health and lives. As for the Raiders lets hope for a win to at least finish 8-8 with a win over the Broncos to sign off on.
    I agree with you on Ruggs unfortunately for a first round pick unless he really steps up in year 2 simply not good enough not a total bust but certainly no where near the level he needs to be at. Biggest issues though IMHO overall remain very much on defence a lot of work to do there. Hopefully by the time next season rolls around fans will be back and Gruden and Maycock have a better draft and off season. This team is not a million miles off being a decent side but I feel this offseason is pivotal. Will the team kick on and become a playoff team or will it be back to the misery that has all to often been the norm. One thing is for sure nobody can call any of us bandwagoners or fair weather fans when it comes to the Raiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭golfball37

Some finish here in mile high. Summed up our season. Gave away the biggest pass play in the league all season. Scored and messed up the formation for the 2 point attempt only for Denver to call a time out and save us. Converted and still allowed them a big play with 20 secs left to get into FG range.
    We only go and block the FG then. Never dull anyway. Onwards and upwards.

Gruden has a big job on his hands with that defense

I saw the end of the game on Redzone and I honestly have no idea what Fangio was doing. We were 4th and goal and couldnt get into formation when suddenly the Broncos call a Timeout!! A win is a win though and at least the season isnt a losing one.

Positives for me from the Season:

1. The Offense is capable of playing well (to a point). We have a receiving corps and a good running back but the Red Zone play calling is killing us

2. Carr is our QB. End of.

3. Waller is turning into an amazing player and Agholor has been a real find. Now to tie him down to a long term contract.

Negatives
    1. The Defense and yet again we are at the end of a season where the D needs a complete overhaul. The problems are obvious and leads into my next point:

2. Management need to improve in the areas of Free Agents and drafting. So the Defensive side of the ball was supposedly addressed in Free Agency and the Draft but boy did that fall flat on its face. Mayock and Gruden need to step up in identifying suitable players who fit the Defensive Scheme. Arnette and Abram are 2 first round draftees who have yet to make good on their promise. Ferrell is not working out either. Perhaps a new Defensive Co-ordinator will utilise these unpolished gems but the incoming D Co-ordinator has his work cut out.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Some finish here in mile high. Summed up our season. Gave away the biggest pass play in the league all season. Scored and messed up the formation for the 2 point attempt only for Denver to call a time out and save us. Converted and still allowed them a big play with 20 secs left to get into FG range.
    We only go and block the FG then. Never dull anyway. Onwards and upwards.

Gruden has a big job on his hands with that defense

I have to admit I turned off the game when Jeudy scored the TD and watched the end of the Titans and Texans so I missed the late drama. Will have to watch the last few minutes on gamepass tonight as the highlights didnt do it justice from what I am hearing.

I saw the end of the game on Redzone and I honestly have no idea what Fangio was doing. We were 4th and goal and couldnt get into formation when suddenly the Broncos call a Timeout!! A win is a win though and at least the season isnt a losing one.

Positives for me from the Season:

1. The Offense is capable of playing well (to a point). We have a receiving corps and a good running back but the Red Zone play calling is killing us

2. Carr is our QB. End of.

3. Waller is turning into an amazing player and Agholor has been a real find. Now to tie him down to a long term contract.

Negatives
    1. The Defense and yet again we are at the end of a season where the D needs a complete overhaul. The problems are obvious and leads into my next point:

2. Management need to improve in the areas of Free Agents and drafting. So the Defensive side of the ball was supposedly addressed in Free Agency and the Draft but boy did that fall flat on its face. Mayock and Gruden need to step up in identifying suitable players who fit the Defensive Scheme. Arnette and Abram are 2 first round draftees who have yet to make good on their promise. Ferrell is not working out either. Perhaps a new Defensive Co-ordinator will utilise these unpolished gems but the incoming D Co-ordinator has his work cut out.

Agree with what your saying there. Excellent post. A big off season ahead. If the defence can be improved significantly there is a not just a playoff team there but a dangerous one. Unfortunately I do not really have much confidence that the right moves and recruitment will be made to upgrade the defence anywhere near enough. We will see I hope I am wrong but I am not getting my hopes up.

Agree with what your saying there. Excellent post. A big off season ahead. If the defence can be improved significantly there is a not just a playoff team there but a dangerous one. Unfortunately I do not really have much confidence that the right moves and recruitment will be made to upgrade the defence anywhere near enough. We will see I hope I am wrong but I am not getting my hopes up.

number 1 priority is to get in some quality at defensive coordinator. next year will be much tougher with Herbert and Mahomes in the division.

number 1 priority is to get in some quality at defensive coordinator. next year will be much tougher with Herbert and Mahomes in the division.
    Apparently the Raiders have officially sought permission to speak to Gus Bradley, the Chargers DC, now Lynn has been fired as that team's Head Coach. Another name that has reared its head on the Grapevine is Wade Philips.

Yup, the D is going to need a serious overhaul in the offseason, and I dont think we have too much cap space to play with this time.

Apparently the Raiders have officially sought permission to speak to Gus Bradley, the Chargers DC, now Lynn has been fired as that team's Head Coach. Another name that has reared its head on the Grapevine is Wade Philips.

I believe the Gus Bradley rumour over Wade Phillips - Gruden has worked with him in the past in Tampa Bay when he was the linebacker coach.

He has done well in Seattle and San Diego as DC so would be definitely worth seeing what he can bring if true.

Regardless of whoever it is we also need to add a some impact players to get the defense going in the right direction.

Yup, the D is going to need a serious overhaul in the offseason, and I dont think we have too much cap space to play with this time.

Right on both counts you are. Really need to go defensive with the number 17 pick and make it a hit for a start plus try and find at least 1-2 other players in the draft who can come in and upgrade the defence for starters.

• Advertisement

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cap/2021/

Turns out Mayock has some financial acrobatics to perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Mayock can easily get the cap situation under control, they'll cut Tyrell Williams, who didn't play this year, counts $11.6m against next years cap and has no dead money, if necessary they could replace Marcus Mariota, who counts $10.725m(way too much for a backup QB) and also has no dead money, you could free up $9m by releasing LaMarcus Joyner, free up $6.35m if you release Richie Incognito or if he retires, and finally you could release Trent Brown(who has missed as many games as he has played over the past two seasons), which would free up a further $14m with no dead money. Gabe Jackson also counts $9.6m against the cap and could be replaced, as could Jalen Richard, who is expensive at $3.5m for the 3rd RB and has no dead money either.

I know you'd have to replace them, if you cut them and that costs, but Bryan Edwards has already replaced Williams, you could find a cheaper backup that Mariota, Brown hardly plays and Incognito may not return at age 38, Joyner has struggled but could benefit from a new D Coordinator, while Jackson hasn't really played up to his salary level and Richard didn't have the best year. If they release all 7 players, they would have $47.3m in cap space, with only Joyner and Jackson having had significant playing time this year.

More alarming than their cap situation is the suggestion that Joe Barry is one of the contenders for the Raiders defensive coordinator position. He is the son in law of Rod Marinelli,is the current Rams linebacker coach and has served as D-Coordinator of the Lions including the 2008 season when they went 0-16 and also the Washington Football team, where he was fired after the 2016 season when they finished 29th on total defence !!!

heyjude wrote: »
    Mayock can easily get the cap situation under control, they'll cut Tyrell Williams, who didn't play this year, counts $11.6m against next years cap and has no dead money, if necessary they could replace Marcus Mariota, who counts $10.725m(way too much for a backup QB) and also has no dead money, you could free up $9m by releasing LaMarcus Joyner, free up $6.35m if you release Richie Incognito or if he retires, and finally you could release Trent Brown(who has missed as many games as he has played over the past two seasons), which would free up a further $14m with no dead money. Gabe Jackson also counts $9.6m against the cap and could be replaced, as could Jalen Richard, who is expensive at $3.5m for the 3rd RB and has no dead money either.

I know you'd have to replace them, if you cut them and that costs, but Bryan Edwards has already replaced Williams, you could find a cheaper backup that Mariota, Brown hardly plays and Incognito may not return at age 38, Joyner has struggled but could benefit from a new D Coordinator, while Jackson hasn't really played up to his salary level and Richard didn't have the best year. If they release all 7 players, they would have $47.3m in cap space, with only Joyner and Jackson having had significant playing time this year.

More alarming than their cap situation is the suggestion that Joe Barry is one of the contenders for the Raiders defensive coordinator position. He is the son in law of Rod Marinelli,is the current Rams linebacker coach and has served as D-Coordinator of the Lions including the 2008 season when they went 0-16 and also the Washington Football team, where he was fired after the 2016 season when they finished 29th on total defence !!!

Agreed on all the cuts/retire/release options you have above , but don't be shocked if we trade Derek Carr and go with Mariota instead - if they can get a high 1st rounder for him they could be tempted. They have done it with Mack and Cooper already.

Also hiring the current DCs son-in-law? c'mon guys please don't be that team! There are a lot more worthy candidates out there.

Agreed on all the cuts/retire/release options you have above , but don't be shocked if we trade Derek Carr and go with Mariota instead - if they can get a high 1st rounder for him they could be tempted. They have done it with Mack and Cooper already.

Also hiring the current DCs son-in-law? c'mon guys please don't be that team! There are a lot more worthy candidates out there.
    Dont forget lads, we are the team that drafted Darrius Heyward Bey after he ran a fast 40 yards at the Combine!!! LOL! We are capable of anything!!

Dont forget lads, we are the team that drafted Darrius Heyward Bey after he ran a fast 40 yards at the Combine!!! LOL! We are capable of anything!!

I'll raise Your Heyward Bay with a JaMarcus Russell!

I'll raise Your Heyward Bay with a JaMarcus Russell!
    And indeed you win! I had thought about it but thought its the low hanging fruit! But you are right, he is the pinnacle of our disastrous drafting.

And indeed you win! I had thought about it but thought its the low hanging fruit! But you are right, he is the pinnacle of our disastrous drafting.

To be fair both were utter disasters and the dogs in the street were shaking their heads when they were drafted as it was blatantly obviously neither deserved to be picked anywhere near that high at all but I'll take the win:)

Gus Bradley named DC. Chargers didn't pull up any trees on defence the last 4 years under him but he has history with Gruden and done an amazing job in Seattle, albeit with some great players. Its a good appointment and certainly better than Joe Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I saw tomorrows' Superbowl being referred to on a Raiders fan group as the Irrelevant Bowl and I certainly feel that as a Raiders fan, for the second year in a row we've been left with nobody to cheer for. Oakland fans could never cheer for either the 49ers or Chiefs.

This year we have an equally unsavoury choice - Antonio Brown & Tom Brady or the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm leaning towards the Chiefs, the idea of Tom 'Tuck Rule' Brady or Antonio 'Ice Feet/Misfitting Helmet' Brown claiming the Lombardi is too awful to contemplate, especially since Brown should still have been a Raider(and still cost us third and fifth round draft picks).

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »
    I saw tomorrows' Superbowl being referred to on a Raiders fan group as the Irrelevant Bowl and I certainly feel that as a Raiders fan, for the second year in a row we've been left with nobody to cheer for. Oakland fans could never cheer for either the 49ers or Chiefs.

This year we have an equally unsavoury choice - Antonio Brown & Tom Brady or the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm leaning towards the Chiefs, the idea of Tom 'Tuck Rule' Brady or Antonio 'Ice Feet/Misfitting Helmet' Brown claiming the Lombardi is too awful to contemplate, especially since Brown should still have been a Raider(and still cost us third and fifth round draft picks).

We beat the Chiefs and almost repeated. Never disliked them as much as Denver or Chargers in division terms so I hope they win. Not bothered either way though. As long as Brown does nothing

Advertisement