Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Welcome to the hall of fame Tom Flores and Charles Woodson!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Delighted for Flores and Woodson, especially Flores. Whatever about Woodson, Flores window of opportunity was closing fast. A wrong has been righted.
    Now, as for last night's affair, the Chiefs now know what its like to face Tampa in the Superbowl!! As Heyjude referred to, its a match that we cuouldnt really cheer for, but I'll take Mahomes and the Chiefs over Brown anyday. I dont include Brady in that because whatever antipathy I feel toward him there's no denying that he is the GOAT. But Brown is utterly classless.

Lads, again we are in an offseason and again Derek Carr is going to every team in the NFL. And apparently we are going to move mountains towards getting DeShaun Watson, is anyone else utterly alarmed that we are over the cap, and seem to be transfixed on upgrading the wrong side of the ball??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

Delighted for Flores and Woodson, especially Flores. Whatever about Woodson, Flores window of opportunity was closing fast. A wrong has been righted.
    Now, as for last night's affair, the Chiefs now know what its like to face Tampa in the Superbowl!! As Heyjude referred to, its a match that we cuouldnt really cheer for, but I'll take Mahomes and the Chiefs over Brown anyday. I dont include Brady in that because whatever antipathy I feel toward him there's no denying that he is the GOAT. But Brown is utterly classless.

Lads, again we are in an offseason and again Derek Carr is going to every team in the NFL. And apparently we are going to move mountains towards getting DeShaun Watson, is anyone else utterly alarmed that we are over the cap, and seem to be transfixed on upgrading the wrong side of the ball??

Totally agree with you there. Just like this time last year. I said 100% almost all the issues are on the defensive side of the ball and that is where the first round pick and main off season focus should be. As for QB Derek Carr is not Aaron Rodgers yes but he is a very decent QB and that is basically the last area of the team that needs addressing.

[HTML][/HTML]
    eire4 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you there. Just like this time last year. I said 100% almost all the issues are on the defensive side of the ball and that is where the first round pick and main off season focus should be. As for QB Derek Carr is not Aaron Rodgers yes but he is a very decent QB and that is basically the last area of the team that needs addressing.
    I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

[HTML][/HTML]I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

Certainly not with the stats that Carr has put up.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

It is crazy really. I just don't get it as his performances overall have been pretty decent and certainly for all the problems the Raiders have had in the past 6 years while Carr has been the QB his performances and level of play are barely a blip on the radar IMHO.

eire4 wrote: »
    It is crazy really. I just don't get it as his performances overall have been pretty decent and certainly for all the problems the Raiders have had in the past 6 years while Carr has been the QB his performances and level of play are barely a blip on the radar IMHO.
    I was reading an article on Bleacher Report about Best landing Spots for top trade targets and, of course, Carr was listed on it as going to Chicago for a first round pick in 21, a first round pick in 22 and Nick Foles coming to us and one of the rationales given was that Chicago were open to doing deals with Las Vegas because of the Khalil Mack Trade! If thats the case, we're going to get Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs because we have a history due to the Marcus Allen trade!! :D:D (Bit overdramatic but you get my point). 90% of all articles at this stage are clickbait but I'm genuinely tired of this with Carr.

I was reading an article on Bleacher Report about Best landing Spots for top trade targets and, of course, Carr was listed on it as going to Chicago for a first round pick in 21, a first round pick in 22 and Nick Foles coming to us and one of the rationales given was that Chicago were open to doing deals with Las Vegas because of the Khalil Mack Trade! If thats the case, we're going to get Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs because we have a history due to the Marcus Allen trade!! :D:D (Bit overdramatic but you get my point). 90% of all articles at this stage are clickbait but I'm genuinely tired of this with Carr.

Yep between now and the draft the trade rumours will fly around given some of the QBs that are looking for trades. LaCanfora,Schefter and the like will have their insider scoops spewing out like crazy.

I hate this part of the off season as random gossip and speculation comes out all the time.

So very true click bait rubbish. But at the same time so tiresome given that anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Raiders team knows that QB is not even on the radar for an upgrade or change of direction when it comes to the issues the team has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yep. Same old same old.

Another way of looking at that is that if he's worth 2 first rounders and a serviceable QB in a trade then he's a stud and should be kept a hold of.

In reality we know he's not. But he's sure as hell not the reason for a lack of playoff appearances.

• Advertisement

As per NFL Network Tyrell Williams is expected to be released. Thats 10 Million or so off the Salary Cap right there. He hasnt been a contributor much the last 2 seasons so its not a big deal. https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-planning-to-release-wr-tyrell-williams-at-start-of-new-league-year

As per NFL Network Tyrell Williams is expected to be released. Thats 10 Million or so off the Salary Cap right there. He hasnt been a contributor much the last 2 seasons so its not a big deal. https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-planning-to-release-wr-tyrell-williams-at-start-of-new-league-year

No sadly he didn't. In fairness this was a signing that looked right on paper and promised to be a good one initially but it just has not worked out with all his injuries so time to move on.

We've officially cut Tyrell Williams. We avoid an 11 million cap hit this season and next season. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933362-tyrell-williams-released-by-raiders-2-years-into-443-million-contract

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

I see Russell Wilson listed the Raiders as one of the four teams he’d only leave Seattle for should they trade him.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I see Russell Wilson listed the Raiders as one of the four teams he’d only leave Seattle for should they trade him.

I did not see that. What is his connection to/liking of the Raiders do you know?

Bleacher Report has it - but to be honest it's surely clickbait with regard to us, how many draft picks would we likely have to surrender in order to make that trade? We'd be in the same boat as Chicago trading for Mack!

Bleacher Report has it - but to be honest it's surely clickbait with regard to us, how many draft picks would we likely have to surrender in order to make that trade? We'd be in the same boat as Chicago trading for Mack!

Agreed its clickbait - also most likely it his agent posturing to get him in a better position with Seattle to either get more money or have more roster influence by making it look as if he is seriously weighing up options.

Either way my money is on him under center for the seahawks next year as all the teams mentioned are not likely to be in a postion to trade for him without serious compromises to their current roster.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Agreed its clickbait - also most likely it his agent posturing to get him in a better position with Seattle to either get more money or have more roster influence by making it look as if he is seriously weighing up options.

Either way my money is on him under center for the seahawks next year as all the teams mentioned are not likely to be in a postion to trade for him without serious compromises to their current roster.
    If Gruden has any shread of managerial acumen, its Defense DEFENSE DEFENSE all the way through the offseason and draft (with a side order of receiving and O-Line!) Carr has never worked with a top tier Defense to get him back on the field to control a game. The offense is decent enough but if the Defense can be strengthened we'd be a serious contender.

If Gruden has any shread of managerial acumen, its Defense DEFENSE DEFENSE all the way through the offseason and draft (with a side order of receiving and O-Line!) Carr has never worked with a top tier Defense to get him back on the field to control a game. The offense is decent enough but if the Defense can be strengthened we'd be a serious contender.

Totally agree and as we have said before QB is the last position we need to address. It is for the most part or should be all about the defensive this offseason.

I see NFL.com is reporting that the Raiders are going to trade Trent Brown back to the Patriots. Brown has agreed to reword his contract but the Raiders side of the deal is not disclosed yet! https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-ot-trent-brown-expected-to-be-traded-to-patriots

This will certainly free up a bit of cap space, along with Joyner being released. What that means for next season's offensive line is anyone's guess. With Jackson, Incognito and now Brown going, what was a position of strength is now very unclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Its probably just the result of agent talk and media speculation, but the Raiders are strong favourites to sign JuJu Smith Schuster.

Please, oh please, oh please, let this not be true. You'd think by now they'd have learned after signing Martavius Bryant and Antonio Brown that the Steelers let receivers go for a good reason.

Schuster was at his best when playing opposite AB, he'd be a borderline No 1 receiver at best, but will expect to get paid like he's an All Pro.

heyjude wrote: »
    Its probably just the result of agent talk and media speculation, but the Raiders are strong favourites to sign JuJu Smith Schuster.

Please, oh please, oh please, let this not be true. You'd think by now they'd have learned after signing Martavius Bryant and Antonio Brown that the Steelers let receivers go for a good reason.

Schuster was at his best when playing opposite AB, he'd be a borderline No 1 receiver at best, but will expect to get paid like he's an All Pro.
    I've always had an antipathy towards the Steelers, they are the one team in the NFL I openly dislike although as an organisation they are excellent. I agree that the Steelers let people go for a reason and I dont see this being a great acquisition.

Jesus Christ. I sure hope there is a logical plan being followed here, but I can't see it....��

So from what I can see....
    OUT:
    Rodney Hudson
    Gabe Jackson
    Trent Brown
    Nelson Aghalor
    Deontae Booker
    Maliek Collins

IN:
    John Brown
    Yannick Ngakoue

Man our offense and more importantly our O-line has been shredded. John Brown is a decent WR so I think the loss of Aghalor might not be too bad but if I was derek carr I would be worried about pass protection next year unless there is a masterplan at play that I don't understand.

Best guess is trying to save money on the o-line by going younger to improve the Defense. I would expect our draft class to be full of line position choices and free agent defense players coming in but who knows.

You can add Kenyan Drake to that list of additions, Kev. Signed on a 2 year deal.

And 49ers DT Solomon Thomas now as well. Looks like the next few days will be busy all across the league.

Marcus Mariota reworked his contract from 10million guaranteed down to 3.5million. Strange decision - maybe this is a way for them to get more interest in a trade ? If not it is a very unusual move by a player to walk away from that much money. I hope we do hold onto him now though as he proved a very reliable option if Derek Carr is injured.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Marcus Mariota reworked his contract from 10million guaranteed down to 3.5million. Strange decision - maybe this is a way for them to get more interest in a trade ? If not it is a very unusual move by a player to walk away from that much money. I hope we do hold onto him now though as he proved a very reliable option if Derek Carr is injured.
    I hope so too, Kev. Possibly the best backup in the league??

Yeah it's probably between him and Taysom Hill depending on how his situation works out this year, although Hill is more of a utility player.

• Advertisement

Arguably he is yes. Certainly no way the Raiders could do better at QB then Carr as starter and Mariotta as backup.

Advertisement