Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Yep we will no doubt fall on our faces against the Rams - but so good to beat the chargers last week and to get a rare Chandler Jones sighting!

If we can rack up 2-3 more wins this season I think that is a good recovery from the rough start to the Josh McDaniels era. Big offseason decisions to be made this year - will we be able to re-sign Josh Jacobs (he has put a big marker down this year and will get paid big money if he stays or goes) ? Can we get some help for our defensive secondary and linebackers ? hopefully there are some answers from within the organization and get this ship going in the right direction.

well it wasnt a 49-0 shutout but somehow a 2 minute drill 1 point come from behind win by a Baker Mayfield led Rams was worse. This team cannot play with a lead in the 4th quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I watched the 1st quarter. At no point did it seem like the game was anything other than a Raiders win and a comfortable one at that. Typical Raiders, they pull you in then break your heart.

Yep - I didn't have a lot of hope this year for the season given all the changes across the coaching staff/head office and in the team but I did feel we were starting to turn a corner there but it turns out there was a massive pot hole waiting.

At least I didnt stay up to watch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Oh well, there’s always next year

• Advertisement

That was fun!!!! 🤣

I don't know if I would call it fun but it was definitely a crazy game and what a last play to top if off!

That was so unlike the patriots at the end of the game. Hilarious to watch them implode at the end considering we have been doing that all year. I would give anything to have been in the Pats locker room after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ah that was hilarious 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There would have been nothing to see in the Patriots locker room after the game except heads down and moreso for what has to come this week than for the loss. It's well known that Belichick says very little after a loss but you'll spend hours in the film room during the week.

Hours in the film room will not fix what is wrong with us... we are not a good team and that win cant paper over whats been a poor season for us with the number of close games we have thrown away. Watch as next week we re-enact the immaculate reception against the Steelers.

And a silent Patriots dressing room says more than if they were smashing chairs. I guess misery loves company.

• Advertisement

As regards your team the offense is improving a lot. Jacobs looks better than ever, Adams looks as good as he did with Aaron Rodgers and Hollins has improved all season. You've had injuries to Waller and Renfrow who are top 5 at TE and slot receiver. I think you'll be humming on offense next year, if you can give Carr a little more time. I'm not sure if that issue is at tackle or guard.

I've seen a lot of your games this season, I like the Raiders, John Madden's team. I was a huge fan of Madden. When I started watching the game in the early 80s I learned so much from listening to him and watching the lines he drew while showing you what's happening.

Your defense needs improvement, mainly in the secondary from what I'm seeing and that's all the way from strong safety to corner. I think middle linebacker is another position you might need help. I think your defensive line is good enough, they mightn't have looked great outside of Max Crosby at times but I see that as being the case because opposing QBs can get rid of the ball very quickly due to the huge weaknesses in your secondary.

If you can improve that defense you'll be in great shape next season I think. And defense, especially the secondary is so important in the AFC West with you having to meet both Mahomes and Herbert twice each season.

I loved watching the NFL games on Channel 4 back in the 80s and 90s and Madden was a big reason I got interested in the NFL too. Its hard not to get caught up in the game when you see the energy he brought to it and his analysis was always easy to follow.

Yeah I agree the biggest need for us is definitely in defense (MLB and All of Secondary positions). How we improve there will decide if we can compete with Chiefs and Chargers. Josh Jacobs is having a great year - he is in a contract year and could cost us a lot to keep now and if we don't get a contract sorted out before free agency he might not be on the team next year. We are in reasonably good shape against the cap($36M below it I think) so fingers crossed we can improve the squad in those areas.

Our O-line is in a rebuild after shedding big contracts in 2020 - Kolton Miller is a good LT but we need upgrades everywhere else - you can see last 2 years Derek Carr has been under more pressure and he seems frustrated this year with the route running so not sure if our WR corps is 100% comfortable with the offense yet. Another offseason with McDaniel's offensive scheme will help the team get accustomed to its complexity.

Looks like our season has officially finished with the Management looking at roster spots for next year. Carr already benched and seemingly going out the door.

we shall see how Jarett Stidham does now - McDaniels was high on him when the Patriots drafted him but it will be a baptism of fire vs 49ers and then the Chiefs.

that was a fun game to watch - yes we lost but I think Stidham showed what confidence in the offensive scheme can look like. The ball came out quick and was spread around all our key players. Just a great play by Bosa decided the game in OT after that bad Fg miss at the end by Gould.

defensively we couldn’t stop Mccaffrey but not many teams have this year since he moved to the 49ers. If we can show this level against the chiefs I will be happy

It was definitely some game and I agree with you, Stidham has a confidence in McDaniels system and it showed. We looked dangerous on Offense but we have to improve on Defense. Like you Kev, if I see the same effort and approach next Saturday then I will be really happy.

And here I go again, made to eat my words along with a lash of humble pie. At least, if nothing else, we saw the standard that we need to aspire to.

Yeah we jus don’t have the defensive secondary to match up with the chiefs and chargers. We need to seriously improve that in the off season to be anyway competitive next year.

So I wonder how long we are going to procrastinate on Derek Carr? He has not been given permission to seek a trade yet and sounds like they might just let the guaranteed salary date pass and try to rework his contract to make it more palatable for a trade.

Wherever he does end up I think he will do well - with a solid O-line I think he can be a Top10 QB in the NFL and every chance he goes to the playoffs given the right team (Jets, Commanders, and Titans even although Salary cap is tight would all be good options)

Now that Brady is out of the discussion with retirement (unless he does another highly unlikely u-turn) maybe we draft a QB versus bringing in a veteran. Or you know... we sell the farm and do a big splash like Aaron Rodgers to pair with Davante Adams (btw I dont think we should do this , we have so many holes to fill on the o-line and Defense that is where the priority should be).

Hi Kev! I really, really dont want a 39 year old Quarterback behind Centre for us this year. I think Rodgers is all about Aaron Rodgers and we would be far wiser to either draft a QB or sign a system QB like Jimmy G and spend the Cap Space beefing up the D. McDaniels is a system guy and I'd far rather see someone who had worked with him before (Jones or Garropalo) signing than blowing any of our draft picks on a QB who has maybe 1 or 2 seasons left. But this is the Raiders and logic and reason never had a place in their draft strategy before so why start now???? LOL

• Advertisement

Yep I agree I am not sure how Aaron Rodgers would respond to Josh McDaniels brand of QB coaching - it’s a lot of salary cap to risk if it blows up in our faces.

Saints starting to look like the front runners for Derek Carr - if they can keep Michael Thomas and draft a good RB to cover kamaras ban I think they will win the nfc south

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

What a sh*t-show McDisaster is as a HC - there are quite a few teams licking their chops at the prospect of getting Derek Carr without having to trade any picks.

It looks like Josh Jacobs will be franchise tagged this year. Not sure he will play under the tag. Maybe we can sort out a new contract before that start of the season but if not I see a holdout happening.

Therer were reports Kev, that he would take the Franchise tag if it meant that the team could restock but as you say, maybe they will sort out a contract before the start of the season. Everyone seems to be caught up in the QB position but I'm looking forward to seeing how the line and the D develops over the Close Season. Whoever becomes the No.1 QB will split the fanbase just as Carr did (unless its Lamar Jackson and that means spending a serious amount of draft capital!!) so I want to see how the other positions are strengthened.

Well we have got Jimmy G - I think this move makes more sense than Rodgers or Lamer Jackson, he is familiar with the Offense and HC but we need to bolster our O-line or he wont last the season without injuries.

We have and already we have Raiders fans comparing him and Carr! I dont mind, he has played with McDaniels before, knows the system the coach wants to play. I'm as interested to see now if any Defensive players are signed!

I know it would never have been possible but a trade for Jalen Ramsey would have made a ton of sense. We need a true lock down corner with the QB talent in our division. He played college football in Florida and in fairness the Dolphins are primed for a big step up this year - If (big if) they can keep Tua healthy they will win the East and be very dangerous in the playoffs.

it hurts to lose Darren Waller for a 3rd rounder to the Giants. He had a tough year with injuries last year but he when he is fit he is a huge part of our offense.

Meyers will be a good compliment to Adams so hopefully it will work out for the better

I was hoping we'd be able to keep Meyers. Obviously he likes McDaniels. I'm surprised by that contract, I thought he'd be looking at around $45 million for three years. You got a bargain I think.

• Advertisement

I think the WR market is not what it was 2 or 3 seasons ago. I was surprised by the Waller trade. Renfrow has a clause in his contract giving him extra money if he is on the roster by Friday and I was expecting him to be traded. All the negative about Jimmy G, take a look at Rodgers wislist to the Jets. If I was a Jets fan I'd be livid. Thank god we dodged that bullet.

Advertisement