Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well that was a dose of reality wasnt it? Its not looking good for the current management team after yesterday's performance. The Offense was dismal in the second half until the game was out of reach. Carr looks good, but everything else is awful on the offensive side of the ball. We'd better be more competitive in the next game or Allen will be toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I like the way they eased the rookie qb into the team, only 3 plays at a time then kick it away!
    Already looking forward to next season!

Seriously, need a much better performance at home. Carr has promise, but need to establish a running game to give him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

O line looking poor lads. Like u said Carr shows promise but he will need a running game to support him. And for all Allen's qualities on the defensive side of the ball... it's not like the D played lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Another season where the 2015 draft will be the highlight. Offense was terrible, I don't think Carr is good enough to start. Never should have been rushed in there based on 2 quarters of a pre-season game in the first place.

Good technique from Mack, hopefully next time he tackles the opposition.

https://vine.co/v/OzMMw52pAid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I was thinking about going to watch the game as I was going to be in NJ this week, decided against flying in a few days earlier to see it, glad I made that decision, it was a really poor game. I thought the D did fine, we gave up one big play but other than that they did a good job of holding the Jets considering the D was on the field for most of the game.

Glad Carr started, as if Schaub had started he'd have been ripped apart by the media and fans and had to shoulder the blame. The O line was poor, and our receivers struggled to get open against the Jets secondary that was supposed to be really poor due to injuries.

Need to win next week, or it could easily get ugly very fast looking at our schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Rush defence is shocking here.

Everything is shocking so far

James Jones, incredible.

Words fail me

McKenzie and Allen are doomed

• Advertisement

Words fail me

Are they actually trying to get Allen sacked?

Are they actually trying to get Allen sacked?

It almost look like it. He won't make it past the bye week, thank god.

God Almighty!! Receiving 101, protect the ball. If I was on the Defense I'd be shouting at those Offensive players.

Oh dear, 3rd turnover

Not sure we've been this bad since Art Shell.

I think the Bed and Breakfast offense generated more yardage

On the plus side, Carr looks the real deal. With new coaching staff and an improved D line we could be average :-(

It was really awful. For me, this was worse than last season. Last season, we all knew that the management were handicapped financially. This year there is no excuse and the play and coaching were awful. Putting in a rookie Quarterback to a team with an awful running game and a changed line is never a good thing. And the QB play is about the only highlight I can think of. That and the fact that JJ watt had a fairly quiet game, defensively. So now we go through another coaching change. In the last 12 years Oakland has changed owner, GM, Coach, and players. And our record is still lousy. The depressing thing is that its not just one thing, its everything that needs improvement. Other teams can point to areas of optimism or potential. We cant even do that.

It was really awful. For me, this was worse than last season. Last season, we all knew that the management were handicapped financially. This year there is no excuse and the play and coaching were awful. Putting in a rookie Quarterback to a team with an awful running game and a changed line is never a good thing. And the QB play is about the only highlight I can think of. That and the fact that JJ watt had a fairly quiet game, defensively. So now we go through another coaching change. In the last 12 years Oakland has changed owner, GM, Coach, and players. And our record is still lousy. The depressing thing is that its not just one thing, its everything that needs improvement. Other teams can point to areas of optimism or potential. We cant even do that.

Yup, we look way worse than last season, we were actually competitive in a lot of games last season and were a bit unlucky not to get a few more wins. This season looks like it could be an 0-16 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I think if they get badly beaten this weekend(which is very possible) then Allen could be fired on Monday, the only thing that might save his job for another week is the fact that the Raiders game the following week is in London and changing coach following an east coast game and prior to flying to London might postpone any decision for a week.

Carr is the only bright spot, the O line can't seem to create running lanes no matter which RB is playing and whether the receivers can't get separation or the O-line can't offer adequate protection, the passing game is anaemic.

James Jones has done okay, but the other big free agent acquisitions on offence haven't performed, while the Woodley, Smith and Tuck on defence have been bossed by the opposing lines and haven't managed much QB pressure, allowing the opposing QBs to exploit the weak corners. I don't know how much the loss of Nick Roach is affecting the overall defence, but as they can't change personnel at this stage, maybe they need to add a few more drastic wrinkles to their defensive playcalling, they can't just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome.

They need a win urgently to restore confidence or the wheels could really come off and even a change of coach might not prevent the possibility of a 0-16 season :( Not to mention what sort of score the likes of Denver might put up against them

• Advertisement

Better this week, but Moore really should have held onto that at the end and given us a chance.

Jackson holding a bloody safety on the play before was so frustrating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

The holding call which wiped out McFaddens equaliser looked harsh?

Defense looked a lot better at least. Still a loss, need to beat Miami.

Don't know whether this week's improved play has more to do with the Raiders stepping it up or the 2014 Patriots playing poorly. I would conceed that the Jets are pretty strong on both lines, while the Texans D line is pretty stout too and I don't think the Patriots O or D line are as strong, so maybe that partly explains the improvement. But having taken one step forward(though still losing), they take one step back as it seems that starting safety Tyvon Branch and starting wide receiver Rod Streater have both suffered foot fractures which will presumably keep them out for several weeks(or longer) and so I'm assuming neither has travelled to London. I'm assuming that pushes Umama Young into the starting lineup at safety and presumably moves Denarius Moore into the start opposite James Jones at wr(though Andre Holmes will see more playing time too).

These latest injuries leave the team pretty thin at several positions with the loss of Nick Roach and Sio Moore leaving very little depth at linebacker, MJ Drew's injury leaving the team leaning heavily on the always brittle Darren McFadden and with Usama Young now in the starting lineup, they have to hope that Charles Woodson stays healthy. Ideally Nick Roach or Sio Moore can play next week and Jones-Drew will return very quickly(before the heavy workload crocks McFadden for the season)

Safety Tyvon Branch has been placed on injured reserve for the second season running, after it was announced that his fractured foot will require surgery. He missed 14 games last season and will now miss 13 games this season, which must place some question marks over his future.

To replace Branch, the Raiders have claimed Brandian Ross off waivers, having waived him during the preseason, he has travelled to London and may feature on Sunday.

No news yet on what the team may do with wide receiver Rod Streater, who also suffered a foot fracture last Sunday. But he too may end up on injured reserve, when the team get back home.

So that went well...

Well, it started well .....

Well, it started well .....

We should have invoked the "last score wins" rule.

• Advertisement

10 defeats in a row, I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions, but surely this should be the end of Allen & McKenzie?

Advertisement