Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen post

Options
  • 17-08-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

It would appear that two packages have been stolen from my girlfriend's postbox. Here's the lowdown: upon ringing An Post and the local Sorting Office, we were informed that the packaged had been delivered yesterday morning (Thursday at about nine/nine thirty). We told them that the packages weren't there, and they said they'll get back to us. When they did, they said the postman that delivered the packages saw that the post box was unlocked and open, but left the delivery there anyway.

Now, I know that whomever stole the goods is a no good scumbag lowlife, but is this not negligence on An Post's behalf? I mean, he might as well have left them on the floor. If someone's not home, you don't just leave the parcels at the doorstep and walk away. Who's liable here?

Any advice on how to pursue the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

You have no contract with An Post, so therefore you can't make a complaint or ask for restitution from An Post.

What you need to do is contact the seller. Tell them that you have not received your packages, and want to know where they are. They, as they have the contract for service with An Post, will have to contact An Post and enquire as to the whereabouts of the package. You do not need to mention that it was stolen, or otherwise (pure speculation on your part unless you saw it being stolen), but you should communicate with them in writing.

Failing that, and if the poster is not cooperative, I suggest a call to your creditcard company, and start a chargeback process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

1. An Post have a duty of care to get the package safely into your hands. Ask them why the package was placed in an insecure location.

2. It's up to your girlfriend to make sure that the postbox is secure.

3. It's illegal for any third party to interfere with anyones mail once it's been posted. YOU can't even interfere with something YOU put in a postbox. Call the Gardaí on said scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

RangeR wrote: »
    1. An Post have a duty of care to get the package safely into your hands. Ask them why the package was placed in an insecure location.

2. It's up to your girlfriend to make sure that the postbox is secure.

3. It's illegal for any third party to interfere with anyones mail once it's been posted. YOU can't even interfere with something YOU put in a postbox. Call the Gardaí on said scumbag.

An Post don't owe the receiver of the post any duty of care. As the sender paid for the product (shipping of the package), only the sender is owed a duty of care by An Post. The sender also owes the receiver a duty of care for their package, which includes insuring that the package arrives safely and intact.

The rest is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Clauric wrote: »
    An Post don't owe the receiver of the post any duty of care. As the sender paid for the product (shipping of the package), only the sender is owed a duty of care by An Post. The sender also owes the receiver a duty of care for their package, which includes insuring that the package arrives safely and intact.

The rest is correct.

I never said that An Post have a duty of care to the receiver? I said that they have a duty of care to safely delivery the package to a secure location [usually through your letterbox of a property front door]. In this case, it was a visibly unlocked box. They may as well have left the package on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

Is there CCTV in the area where the postboxes are located? If so get her to contact the management company/agents & get a copy to bring to Garda station to report theft. If she owns the apartment she should get the lock fixed or if she's renting she should get her landlord to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Unfortunately, there's no CCTV in the hallway with the post boxes. We've contacted the company that manages the building and they said that they'll see what they can do. Still awaiting a reply.

So basically should we say to the seller that we haven't received the packages and leave it up to them to sort it out with An Post? The thing is, I payed for P&P and more than likely chose whatever basic shipping was on offer. Does this then put the onus on me to straighten things out? I feel like I'm over-complicating the matter here.

It is extremely bizarre that the post box was left open. She checks it every time she passes by, even in the evening time or when not expecting post, just in case. It being open would be immediately noticeably. I suppose it's a moot point. My biggest problem is with the fact that the packages were left in plain view, in a place that absolutely anybody can access. Anyone with an iota of common sense would know not to leave them there. I feel like this is fairly clear cut example of malpractice, but we're not sure if we have a leg to stand on.

Advertisement