Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanges that were broadband enabled. In 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

2 stroke wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to know when I can contact people living in these areas with something resembling modern technology. Just a few days ago, a relative asked if I could send her some pics that she heard I had on facebook I offered to post them on cd. She asked me to print them out instead, as she had no computer at home as she couldn't get internet.
    I am an eircom customer on a reasonably good line for my area. I get .9Mb on a 8Mb deal. I cannot email some of my neighbours as they can't get broadband. Their kids sometimes have to come over to my house to do their homework. I stay with eircom as I believe if I move, my line will be swapped to a complaining eircom customer.

So eircom when will I be able to email anyone I want to in the 26 counties?

Have your Neighbours looked into wireless options and you say your are getting point 9 of a mb on a 8mb connection that is terrible and must be painful to use. What part of the world are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm in tipp, most of my neighbours are non techies, they would get broadband for the kids if it was easily available, but couldnt really be bothered keeping up with modern technology. Some of their phones are so bad you couldn't hold a conversation with them. Others have gone wireless but I wouldn't know them well, they tend to be the ones with high walls/security gates & intercoms.
    My line is a fairly new line, achieved through a lot of complaining, and although speed isn't great, it is stable and doesn't drop connection. It can be a nightmare when theres 3 or 4 laptops on the wifi though

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yap tipp is ****ing awful for broadband

TCP/IP wrote: »
    you say your are getting point 9 of a mb on a 8mb connection

8mb deal, not 8mb connection. I can get .9 mb on the basic package but I pay the 8mb deal as I was being charged extra for going over my download allowance. Bloody ripoff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I can get .9 mb on the basic package but I pay the 8mb deal as I was being charged extra for going over my download allowance. Bloody ripoff.

Ah but you are OBVIOUSLY on 0.9mbits Next Generation Broadband so. :D

Think of the poor saps on 1st generation broadband ....who do not get charged for going over their 10Gb caps as well as still those on Dialup....ie most exchanges that were enabled in Tipp and quite a few besides. :)

• Advertisement

I do think of them. Last time I was buying a computer, my regular supplier was telling me that modems didn't come as standard anymore and that he would have to add one. When I said I didn't need one, He went 'how t'**** did you get broadband?'
    The ripoff is that eircom are happy to charge extra, if I exceed the basic package, but no discount if they can't deliver the package they sell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sponge Bob why would Eircom have such a low backhaul in some exchanges(16mb in Golden)? Would it cost much to upgrade the backhaul?

Headshot wrote: »
    Sponge Bob why would Eircom have such a low backhaul in some exchanges(16mb in Golden)? Would it cost much to upgrade the backhaul?

Because it is ancient technology, 1980s ISDN. Great in 1985 or so,

Cheap to upgrade if they have a mast ...most exchanges do.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Sponge Bob wrote: »

There is no way that 270 exchanges, considered uneconomic in 2006, are necessarily uneconomic by the same criteria now. Think perhaps more like 150 exchanges at most.

Consequently there is no excuse for eircom to abandon these exchanges...
    the
    amount of easy money they still make on dialup in some cases. .

Surely though there is a public interest and economic case to be made foe increasing fixed
    line broadband availability in Ireland. It shouldn't just be about commercial considerations of the company that has the monopoly.

I think it is worth continuing to bump this thread. It wil highlight Eircoms refusal to engage and answer a simple basic question, so once again. How many Rxchanges have been broadband enabled in 2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

regress wrote: »
    Surely though there is a public interest and economic case to be made foe increasing fixed
    line broadband availability in Ireland. It shouldn't just be about commercial considerations of the company that has the monopoly.

I think it is worth continuing to bump this thread. It wil highlight Eircoms refusal to engage and answer a simple basic question, so once again. How many Rxchanges have been broadband enabled in 2012?
    Hi Regress
    We are liaising with the networks team on this, as stated in previous posts and have forwarded all queries from this thread to the relevant people. At the moment, much of the information requested can be found on the on the wholesale site here (Click “Coverage Map” down the end.) I do understand that this doesn’t cover all of the queries directed to us and we are looking at adding extra info to the current NGB map to include standard DSL alongside the current NGB enabled exchanges. I understand that this has taken some time but we hope to have all relevant info available there in the near future. As stated in previous posts this is all the information we have available on this issue at this time. As soon as the information is available we will post notice here. Appreciate your patience on this.

Tony

• Advertisement

Get US that list of non ngb 24mbit exchanges too Tony. Around 100 odd of them.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Get US that list of non ngb 24mbit exchanges too Tony. Around 100 odd of them.

Hi Sponge Bob
    Will certainly request that also.
    Tony

Annoyed and frustrated at this response. A very simple straighforward question which will give us some indication as to the progress of the rollout of fixed line broadband in Ireland. . I intend to continue to bump this thread to highlight Eircoms refusal to answer.

Hi Regress
    We are liaising with the networks team on this, as stated in previous posts

Yours was Eircom's first post on this thread after four weeks and 42 other posts. Why on earth do you need to liase with network team . Just answer the question "How many Exchanges has Eircom enabled for broadband in 2012?
    At the moment, much of the information requested can be found on the on the wholesale site here (Click “Coverage Map” down the end.)
    . There is no list of the Exchanges that are not broadband enabled and no information on which Exchanges were broadband enabled in 2012.

we are looking at adding extra info to the current NGB map to include standard DSL alongside the current NGB enabled exchanges.

Never mind about adding info to NGB map. Just answer the question. How many Exchanges
    have been broadband enabled by Eircom in 2012?
    As stated in previous posts this is all the information we have available on this issue at this time.

As stated earlier there were no previous posts by Eircom on this thread. And I don't believe you that Eircom does not know how many Exchanges Eircom has enabled in 2012

And bump

What Exchanges were broadband enabled by Eircom in 2012?

And bump

What Exchanges were broadband enabled by Eircom in 2012?

As Eircom are not a public company they have no obligation to give this data let alone to some person on an Internet forum. This is commercially sensitive information as it would guide competitors offerings. I am not an Eircom customer or have any dealings with them. Just don't like the tone you take with their support staff whom you well know don't make decisions on information released. Why not submit your request to Herb Hribar instead of annoying the poor support guys only trying to do a job.

I have nothing personal against any support staff. If Eircom reps were to confirm straight out that Eircom is now refusing to make this information public the thread would have served it's purpose.

However reps have not said that Eircom is refusing to release info on grounds of commercial sensitivity.

This is info that was publically available from Eircom in the past. They even had a website broadbandatoz.ie. which gave info on progress of rollout. This website is now shut down.

I also think that there is a public interest case for why this information given the effect that the possible abandonment of the rollout would have on our competitiveness and the fact that Eircom has a monopoly on the enabling of Exchanges.

So if Eircom wants to say that it is refusing to provide this info fine but that is not what they are saying. They seem to be claiming that Eircom does not know how many Exchanges Eircom has enabled.

I have nothing personal against any support staff. If Eircom reps were to confirm straight out that Eircom is now refusing to make this information public the thread would have served it's purpose.

However reps have not said that Eircom is refusing to release info on grounds of commercial sensitivity.

This is info that was publically available from Eircom in the past. They even had a website broadbandatoz.ie. which gave info on progress of rollout. This website is now shut down.

I also think that there is a public interest case for why this information given the effect that the possible abandonment of the rollout would have on our competitiveness and the fact that Eircom has a monopoly on the enabling of Exchanges.

So if Eircom wants to say that it is refusing to provide this info fine but that is not what they are saying. They seem to be claiming that Eircom does not know how many Exchanges Eircom has enabled.

Of course they know what is and is not enabled. Its very obvious that they will not give this info out for commercial reasons they may in time once they launch their new FTTC/FTTH products but maybe not. Just go easy on the support staff that's all.

Point taken but any comments I made are directed at Eircom. Reps working from Eircom have a job to do but I hope none of them will take any criticism of their employer personally.

No problem maybe best to just let this thread die as its more than run its course. They know you want the info and they are not providing it so sort of case closed.

Point taken but any comments I made are directed at Eircom. Reps working from Eircom have a job to do but I hope none of them will take any criticism of their employer personally.

Not taken personally at all Regress. To clarify, yes the website broadbandatoz.ie which offered info on progress of rollouts has been shut down. The reason, as had been pointed out by others on this forum, is due to the fact it did not accurately reflect the NGB or future rollouts.

As I advised on other posts eircom are currently working on providing a newer version. Once this public facing website is up and running I hope it can provide all relevant information. In the meantime the NGB Wholesale site is the best reflection of our network.
    As TCP/IP has suggested above I feel that we have responded to this thread and this theme and have nothing further to add at this time. As always we are happy to provide any customer or potential customer with information specific to their own area on possible enablement, upgrades or migrations in order that they can decide what suits them.

For any Telecom Service Providers wishing more infromation on eircoms network they can contact eircom wholesale directly here

We will announce the new site with as much fanfare as we can muster and hope that sufficant information is contained there.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Not taken personally at all Regress. To clarify, yes the website broadbandatoz.ie which offered info on progress of rollouts has been shut down.

As I advised on other posts eircom are currently working on providing a newer version. Once this public facing website is up and running I hope it can provide all relevant information. In the meantime the NGB Wholesale site is the best reflection of our network.

NGB.ie was shut down this year and Broadbandatoz.ie was shut down last year....you forgot to mention ngb.ie there Tony. :)

The map on eircomwholesale was taken from another eircom site again called nextgenerationethernet.com ( which has not been shut down, yet :) ) and that map is actually rather good by eircom standards.

As eircom have no broadband infrastructure available to the most rural 1/3 of the state I feel we are entitled to know where the infrastructure is available and that the eircomwholesale map is a good start ( if a tad clunky) . Tony is right to mention it as a good starting point.

No problem maybe best to just let this thread die as its more than run its course. They know you want the info and they are not providing it so sort of case closed.

eircom also know we want better phone and internet service and are not providing it, so do we just stop visiting the forum?
    The term commercially sensitive has been used on here a few times, I read this as commercially embarrassing.

Spending 5.5 years on DIALUP after eircom promises you they will DSL enable your exchange is "Commercially Sensitive" ....and more so with no respite in sight in 2012 and them nearer 6 years waiting as of last week!

I get 8mbits for less than these people pay for 40 hours of dialup and line rental. :(

eircom also know we want better phone and internet service and are not providing it, so do we just stop visiting the forum?
    The term commercially sensitive has been used on here a few times, I read this as commercially embarrassing.

We are all entitled to our opinions of course. Anybody with any sense of commercials would know this is extremely sensitive information and would certainly guide other providers in their roll-out plans. If people put more effort into raising the broadband issues in there communities than writing on forums they might get away from their current poor broadband connections. In my estate we had very poor broadband availabilities. We lobbied politicians, various broadband providers and local business in order to get better connections. We had to deal with the builders/NAMA/NTMA/Politicians/Providers/residents associations in order to get the fibre connections we have today. What I would advise is engage with people and work with them instead of just moaning.

. Anybody with any sense of commercials would know this is extremely sensitive information and would certainly guide other providers in their roll-out plans. .

Yes but although there are other broadband option in many areas Eircom has a monopoly on the enabling of Exchanges for fixed line broadband. Because of Eircoms refusal to say which Exchanges it has enabled this year and whether or not it has any plans to enable any more Exchanges in the future people served by the hundreds of non enabled Exchanges are left in limbo. They have no way of knowing whether the rollout has been abandonded.

Eircom is also refusing to say anything about plans for the non enabled Exchanges it previously promised to enable. Have the promises been broken or have the plans been postponed for a few years. We have no way of knowing.

Yes but although there are other broadband option in many areas Eircom has a monopoly on the enabling of Exchanges for fixed line broadband. Because of Eircoms refusal to say which Exchanges it has enabled this year and whether or not it has any plans to enable any more Exchanges in the future people served by the hundreds of non enabled Exchanges are left in limbo. They have no way of knowing whether the rollout has been abandonded.

Eircom is also refusing to say anything about plans for the non enabled Exchanges it previously promised to enable. Have the promises been broken or have the plans been postponed for a few years. We have no way of knowing.

You are correct Regress and that is the way it stands for the moment. Eircom is a commercial company and will not issue this information until a particular exchange is enabled and not before that. It was a mistake on their part to announce exchanges in advance before they were completed and they wont be making that mistake again I would imagine. If I was in a position of waiting for broadband from one of the non enabled exchanges I would be working on other options. Most likely again this is my opinion not Eircoms official line is that most of the non enabled exchanges are simply not work the effort to cover the cost of equipment or back haul. However if they used the equipment that was installed in exchanges that are now been upgraded to FTTC/FTTH then that could be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Folks,

You are asking Eircom to release what is commercially sensitive information. The reps here can no more do that than tell you the salaries of every employee in the company or what profits they make on their various products.

You won't get an answer to this question from the reps here unfortunately, they can't help in this matter. I'm closing this thread, it's run its course I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement