Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help horse wont take bit

Options
  • 17-08-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

my 4 year old mare is refusing to take the bit
    any suggestions on what to do is there anyway to get her to take the bit or should i switch to a hackamore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

First rule out any physical reasons (sores in the mouth, problems with teeth etc)

If it's nothing physical then maybe try one of the following:

- check the bit fits correctly
    - try warming the bit in your hands first
    - coat the bit in a drop or two of something nice she likes such as molasses or rub a slice of apple on it

I wouldn't use a hackamore without ruling out any physical issues first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op
    + 1 what Valentina says
    But can I ask you to explain more by what you mean as 'not taking the bit'.
    Reason I ask is that there are plenty of options in materials that are used to make bits more comfortable for the horse. And also many types of simple snaffles which you can try.
    In my opinion The Bitless option should be the very last resort and the Hackamore would be the very last Bitless option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Does this happen every time or just occasionally?
    Valentina wrote: »
    First rule out any physical reasons (sores in the mouth, problems with teeth etc)

If it's nothing physical then maybe try one of the following:

- check the bit fits correctly
    - try warming the bit in your hands first
    - coat the bit in a drop or two of something nice she likes such as molasses or rub a slice of apple on it

I wouldn't use a hackamore without ruling out any physical issues first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

My mare always tossed her head with a bit (she's 22 now!) She just didn't like 'em, we get on great totally bitless now (5 years) after a period of transition. She's better off and much happier. I'd never put a bit in her mouth again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have her teeth been done recently? I have to get my two youngsters done twice a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement