Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying markings on helmet.

• 17-08-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

Came across a helmet recently. There was a paper map found in the sweat band.

Hat_and_Map_thumb.jpg

On one side there was a map of England, which had cancelled written across it and on the other is of the Dutch German boarder. The Map was issued by the US army map service circa 1944.

Map_thumb_1.jpg

The helmet itself has a few markings on it and going by one of them,
    I believe it to be British, and that of the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division. They were involved in Normandy and Operation Market Garden.

Symbol_2_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what the below marking signifies? It's a yellow and green square.

Symbol_1_thumb.jpg

Anyone else have any additional information regarding the 53rd?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Any of the helmet buffs who could help out with this query?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hmm, interesting one!

The helmet is a 'Victory' or 'turtle shell' pattern used from 1944 and on D-Day by many of the British and Commonwealth troops, so, in that regard the helmet pattern would be correct for the context of the Map.

However! These helmets were manufactured in large quantities up to the late 1950's, used by the British then pawned off to us poor Irish whom continued to use them up to the 1990's (FCA), so, theres plenty of them floating about. I could show you somewhere that has about 150 of them (and its not an army barracks! :rolleyes:)

The example pictured looks a bit.......fresh. How is the liner held in place? Is it via a screw or a 'lift the dot' tab? The latter is more common to late production helmets. Either way, pull the liner out and have a look around the shell under various lights/angles and see if there is a makers mark and year, there should be one, but, not always. Also, take a look at the four plastic cross 'skull' bands in the liner, on them too should be a size and possibly year.

Just the helmet looks very fresh, as well as the paper, I'd be dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hmm, interesting one!

The helmet is a 'Victory' or 'turtle shell' pattern used from 1944 and on D-Day by many of the British and Commonwealth troops, so, in that regard the helmet pattern would be correct for the context of the Map.

However! These helmets were manufactured in large quantities up to the late 1950's, used by the British then pawned off to us poor Irish whom continued to use them up to the 1990's (FCA), so, theres plenty of them floating about. I could show you somewhere that has about 150 of them (and its not an army barracks! :rolleyes:)

The example pictured looks a bit.......fresh. How is the liner held in place? Is it via a screw or a 'lift the dot' tab? The latter is more common to late production helmets. Either way, pull the liner out and have a look around the shell under various lights/angles and see if there is a makers mark and year, there should be one, but, not always. Also, take a look at the four plastic cross 'skull' bands in the liner, on them too should be a size and possibly year.

Just the helmet looks very fresh, as well as the paper, I'd be dubious.

Thanks for the info.

It isn't mine, just came across it while I was in a neighbours shed bar. He had bought it many years ago at a car boot sale in the UK for 20 quid, a couple of years later someone in the bar was looking at it and pulled the map out.

The next time I am home I'll have a proper good look at it.

Any idea on the yellow and green rectangle?

Thanks again.

Advertisement