Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in house share, anything I can do?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We had four people sharing this four bedroom house and one decided to leave without a notice. Also she locked her room and took the key with her, so we wouldn't notice she left or could rent the room. We got the key back few days later, but the room was empty for two weeks before we could rent it, so we had to cover the rent. She also didn't pay the last gas/electricity bill.

I know it was stupid to trust her and not to take deposit, but can't change that now.

I tried to contact her by phone or email, but just got one response and then nothing. She has no intention of paying anything. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

There is nothing you can do but learn from a VERY stupid mistake and don't let it happen again.

This is the exact reason deposits exist.

Petter wrote: »
    We had four people sharing this four bedroom house and one decided to leave without a notice. Also she locked her room and took the key with her, so we wouldn't notice she left or could rent the room. We got the key back few days later, but the room was empty for two weeks before we could rent it, so we had to cover the rent. She also didn't pay the last gas/electricity bill.

I know it was stupid to trust her and not to take deposit, but can't change that now.

I tried to contact her by phone or email, but just got one response and then nothing. She has no intention of paying anything. Is there anything I can do?

is this person employed? tell her that you are going to write a letter to her employer outlining exactly what she has done if she won't agree to pay her dues. If not employed, maybe her parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Petter

Parents are in Poland somewhere, so that's not a option, but she works as waitress in a hotel 10km from here. Letter to employer sounds like a option.

I actually never had any problems with her in last two years. Just few months her scumbag boyfriend basically moved in, started making a mess and didn't pay for bills. We told the girl that the guy can visit here 3 nights per week, but can't live her unless they do their share => Both left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

glasso wrote: »
    is this person employed? tell her that you are going to write a letter to her employer outlining exactly what she has done if she won't agree to pay her dues. ...
    What a quaintly stupid idea from someone who is evidently clueless about the defamation laws in this country.
    glasso wrote: »
    ... If not employed, maybe her parents.
    The alternative is not much better - "I'm tellin' yore Mammy on you, ya dirty little scut ya!"

Learn from it OP, it's your only takeaway from this situation - very trusting of you not to take a deposit, but your trust was abused I'm afraid.

mathepac wrote: »
    What a quaintly stupid idea from someone who is evidently clueless about the defamation laws in this country.

The alternative is not much better - "I'm tellin' yore Mammy on you, ya dirty little scut ya!"

Learn from it OP, it's your only takeaway from this situation - very trusting of you not to take a deposit, but your trust was abused I'm afraid.

no need to be so forceful in a reply from someone who has evidently got issues.

plenty of people have used this in the past... you don't have to actually do it, just imply the action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Petter wrote: »

Was she living with you, the landlord in the same house or was the house rented out as a single unit to all tenants or on a room basis with shared facilities?

If she had a lease in her own name (either verbal or written) and you as landlord did not reside in the house, you could make a claim with the PRTB (provided you registered the tenancy with the PRTB) as you know where she works, at least. As she is working, she should, at least have the money to pay.

If she had a room with you in the house, then, I think you are of of luck as your only recourse would be via the courts which could be expensive and time consuming - and IMHO not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mathepac wrote: »

Do you really have to respond to every post in such a condescending manner? Would it really be so hard to make your point politely?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys...... read the forum charter.
    If you want to post here- remain civil towards one another, if you don't- you will have your rights to post here revoked.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

mathepac wrote:

Its only defamation if its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its only defamation if its not true.
    Correction, it's only defamation if you can't prove it... but unless the OP has proof that she didn't pay cash in hand, things get murky with OP says, tenant and the boyfriend says... two against one on he says she says, and the two will probably win.

So be careful if you go down that road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement