Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish VAT refund

Options
  • 17-08-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

im heading back to Ireland for a few weeks after an 18 month absence. I will be leaving for another 18 months after that. Im i entitled to claim back the VAT in the airport? Has anyone else done this?

Cheers,
    M5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I did it, was home for Christmas and bought a few things, kept the receipts and got VAT back at the airport. I expected them to ask me something to prove I wasn't just heading off on holidays but they didn't ask anything, then again it was only a couple of euros so maybe it wasn't worth the hassle for them. I don't actually recall if I got it back or not, I presume I did or I would have realised it at the time (it went back on my credit card).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

so what do you do? Pay by credit card and keep your receipts?

Not even sure if i'll buy anything TBH. Just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

M5 wrote: »
    so what do you do? Pay by credit card and keep your receipts?

Not even sure if i'll buy anything TBH. Just in case!

Yea I think so I don't remember what I did to be honest. They are used to foreigners coming in and having no idea how the system works so just ask and they'll usually know in the shop. You can also request the special vat refund receipt from the shop, especially if it's in a tourist area.

Advertisement