Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to get currency exchange..

Options
  • 17-08-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

im travelling to africa and this Wednesday and i need to change currency, anyone know the quickest place to get euros exchanged?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

depends where you are going! Egyptian Pound or South African Rand would be easier to get than Central African Republic Francs!

I think with most African countries it's cheaper to exchange out there and US dollars are best to have to make that exchange. In ex-UK colonies UK pounds will be ok. Many shops/service providers etc. will take these currencies from you at a reasonable exchange rate too. EUR a definite 3rd in countries I've been to (but it's still often taken)

Also bring a Visa card as many African countries don't wildly accept any other cards (either at ATMs or at vendors) - had a nightmare in Zambia once as my only way of accessing cash was through mastercard!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 greeny12

I am going to kenya and i only have a laser card and mastercard! ahhhhh im so confused still.....eeek

found this

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g294210-c99830/Mombasa:Kenya:Faqs.Currency.html

It says they accept euros, dollars and pounds.

Still confused though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

they'll take us dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Laser and Mastercard will work in the Big cities no problem.
    Euros can be exchanged for KSH almost anywhere. But again the best rates will be in nairobi or Mombassa

Will be no problems.

Advertisement