Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on new workout

• 17-08-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi, figured I'd come to boards.ie to see if there were some people who could point me in a few directions and maybe I can figure out which one to take.

I've been getting back into an active lifestyle lately and I've been using the same workout routine I used in the past. I'd prefer to mix it up a bit to keep me interested. Just over 2 years ago I was using a 3-day routine which focused on 2 muscle groups each day, some weeks I would go to the gym 5/6 times, others only 3, but I would always use the 3 day workout routine. It worked for me at the time and I gained a bit of weight (over the course of the year I would say about 30lbs) and got pretty ripped fairly fast, with my body fat dropping to less than 7% by the end.

Lately I've been swimming twice a week and trying to get to the gym 3 times a week with the same old routine. The goal is to hit 170lbs (I'm currently 155) pretty fast and drop the body fat to about 12/13% (it's 15.5 right now). Here's the routine, if anyone has any suggestions on changing it or a complete overhaul then please share them.

Day 1:
    Chest/Triceps
    Bench - 75lbs (+bar)-3sets-10 reps
    Dumbell incline - 40lbs-3sets-8 reps
    Bench decline (Smith Machine) - 100lbs (+bar) 3sets, 12 reps
    Fly machine - 70lbs 3sets 10 reps
    French Press, EZ bar - 65lbs - 3sets-12reps
    Rope pushdown -40lbs-3sets-10reps
    Overhead extension-cable rope-35lbs-3sets-10reps
    Dip (Burnout)-12reps

Day2
    Back/Biceps
    Bent-over row 110lbs-3sets-12 reps
    Lat pulldown-110lbs-3 sets- 10 reps
    Seated row100lbs-3 sets-12 reps
    DB bicep curls 22.5-3sets-10 reps
    Preacher curl 30lbs (+bar)-3 sets-10 reps
    Forearm reverse raise 50lbs-3sets-10 reps

Day 3
    Shoulders/Legs
    Military (bench at 80 degree angle), 65lbs-3sets-12 reps
    Lateral shoulder raise - 20lbs-3sets-9/10reps
    Dumbbell shoulder press-25lbs-3sets-10reps
    Dumbbell Shrugs-65lbs-3sets-15reps
    Squats 130lbs-3sets-10reps
    Calf Raise (Leg Press machine) 225lbs-3sets-15reps
    Leg extensions-80lbs-3sets-12reps
    Hamstring Curls-90lbs-3sets-10 reps

So in the ideal week this happens mon/wed/fri with 45 minutes of swimming on tues/thurs. Also 4 times a week I have a 20 minute bike ride to/from work.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies. Really looking to mix this up and hit it hard over the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

i used to have a routine like this,it was fine for a while till i stalled making progress,i changed to a full body type routine and got way better results,although im more intrested in strength than size.i defo wouldnt go back to a split,but having said that its way better for the fat burning aspect opposed to a full body where i found i needed alot of rest between sets.depends on the person but id take the full body with big compounds and less volume for better gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 txl

Add Deadlifts in to your back day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

complete overkill imo....dump the clutter and hit the basics harder:

deadlift
    squat
    bench
    rows
    pullups
    side raises
    abs

split it anyway that makes sense.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

I agree with the other coments splits are for bodybuilders and streoid users the gain will only last for so long... this is what i would recomend.
    monday day 1, wed day 2, friday day 1 and so on.....
    Day 1
    squat
    bench
    deadlift
    pull ups / dips

Day 2
    squat
    overhead press
    bent over row
    straight bar bicep curls

3-8 reps x 4 sets of each
    increase wieght of every exercise by 2.5kg every session, when you get to a point where you can't perform more than 3 reps of a set then drop the wieght by 75% the start of the next session and keep going

Advertisement