Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: IP Changing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Cool, glad it's (sort of) working.

Though what are you trying to achieve with having two routers hooked up to the EPC, as each router would (when the ZyXEL works and is connected simultaneously with the WGR614v9) or were you just testing them at separate times? I know the WGR614v9, my folks have one with their old Scientific Atlanta. The ZyXEL, I don't know, so my help in the matter will be vague. I suspect, since you DMZ'd it in the past, you might have a static IP configured for its connection to the EPC. If so, dump it and let it get all IPs and the DNS automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Cool, glad it's (sort of) working.

Though what are you trying to achieve with having two routers hooked up to the EPC, as each router would (when the ZyXEL works and is connected simultaneously with the WGR614v9) or were you just testing them at separate times? I know the WGR614v9, my folks have one with their old Scientific Atlanta. The ZyXEL, I don't know, so my help in the matter will be vague. I suspect, since you DMZ'd it in the past, you might have a static IP configured for its connection to the EPC. If so, dump it and let it get all IPs and the DNS automatically.

Well the ZyXel's gone through multiple hard resets both today and in the past, so I don't think it would still be configured to be static. It was working earlier before bridging the EPC so it's rather strange!

It is strange. The ZyXEL is plugged into the UPC on its own to LAN port 1 (not that the LAN port should matter)? When you're on the ZyXEL's WLAN, can you access the EPC via http://192.168.100.1? I'm guessing not or else you'd certainly be online.

Can you show me this page?

EDIT: I've looked in the manual and I've seen the wording of the options. Select "Ethernet" from the drop-down if you haven't already (not "PPP over Ethernet").

This is exactly how you'd want the settings to look:
    hZtm2.png

Apologies for the delayed response.

That is indeed how it's displayed in the Advanced settings. And no, I can't navigate to 192.168.100.1, either! Luck just isn't on my side, eh.

I'm really sorry, but I am really at a loss to further suggest anything that might fix the issue.

To rule out that the ZyXEL has taken a turn for the worst, maybe stick the EPC back into Router mode and set the ZyXEL's IP statically again. Otherwise, with the information available, I'm all out of suggestions. Hopefully someone else can chime in?

This is a killer, because there's possibly such an obvious solution, but I'm just not seeing it right now.

EDIT:
    Could you post back here with the result if you try unbridging the EPC and connecting the ZyXEL the old-fashioned way? Also, if nobody lends a hand here by tomorrow (or sooner, if you prefer), you should start a new dedicated thread and/or post a reply in my guide to see if anyone there is seeing something I'm not.

• Advertisement

Hey again,

It's not entirely necessary that I have it working, I do have the NetGear which should suffice for now. But I'm of the belief the ZyXel is more reliable and steady than the NetGear.

I'll consider giving it a shot in Router Mode tomorrow night, it's a bit late now to run through it again!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Ah the Netgear's alright and stable, the folks don't have any issues with it (it's been in use for nearly 4 years straight now) aside from it being only having a 802.11b/g radio. I guess it should come down to which WiFi covers the greatest distance at the highest throughput, as per your needs.

Sorry again. If I come up with any possibilities, I'll be sure to let you know.

Advertisement