Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brushing a 1 year old's teeth - any hints?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I've an 18 month old with a mouthful of teeth, but haven't figured out how to brush them without creating a fuss. He loves the toothbrush and will happily suck it, but that isn't really enough. Any hints or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I bring in my 23month old every morning and she stands on the toilet and we brush our teeth together. the deal is i get to brush hers before i turn on the tap, as its onlt messing with water thats she wants to do. its a struggle and my other half does the same in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bigfluffycloud

It takes a lot of patience but is worth it in the end. We brush after breakfast and before bed. Letting them have a go after you do helps the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

My daughter sometimes kicks up a fuss when i'm trying to brush her teeth but she'll normally let me do it if I put on the Elmo brush your teeth song that's on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh yeah, Elmo will work, must google this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do it together. They will copy everything you do.

And let them brush teddies teeth as well.. Roleplay always good. Our 17 month old loves brushing her teeth, but she brushes giraffes teeth, and dollys teeth, and my teeth, and teddy's teeth as well. 10 minute job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I have a step at the sink in the bathroom, I put the mirror down on the sink so he can see himself and we brush our teeth together, he copies everything I do, once mine are done I show him my clean teeth and get him to show me his and then give them a quick clean myself with his toothbrush. He loves it and gets so excited about brushing his teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

We had this problem too. Luckily she loved "brushing" her teeth which is as you just sucking the toothbrush, but I used that to get her to let me brush them first and then she could have a go and suck away to hearts content. There was tears etc but she wanted to do it herself so much she eventually let me have my go, especially when she realised she wouldn't get to do it at all unless I had my turn. I think we might have gone a night or two without any brushing till she took what I was saying on board - stubborn! Then after a while my husband showed her how to move her hand across to brush the front, she's so delighted with herself every time she does it!

Advertisement