Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

• 17-08-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm fairly close to securing a job in the area of Abbey Street/Capel Street and will possibly have to move to Dublin for it. I was wondering if anyone might give me an idea of a few areas close enough (by bus) to O'Connell Street, I suppose €100/150 a week would be the limit.

Not holding much hope but any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Hiya,

Best of luck with the job, hopefully it'll work out for ya!

In terms of location for renting, would you like to live pretty much in the city centre or would you be open to the idea of the suburbs?

Pretty much a lot of Dublin Bus routes go through or beside O'Connell St, so a few min's walk would get ya to work once you get off the bus. Having a budget of roughly €450-€600 a month for accommodation is a lot and you should get somewhere handy enough (that's sharing with others).

In terms of Suburb locations you could look at Santry, Lucan, Palmerstown to name just a few, all with decent, frequent Bus services to and from the city centre. I would first look at how far from the city centre you want to go, then consult public transport options, remember the Dart, Commuter train and LUAS also cover other places........Raheny, Clontarf, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Dundrum etc

Hope I was some help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cfcilldara

Thanks a million for those locations, I just didn't know where to start looking! City centre would be handier obviously but I don't think I can afford it, and I don't mind living in the suburbs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

http://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/ontario-terrace-south-dublin-city-rathmines-dublin-6/2012895

Just to get the ball rolling for ya, Rathmines is a good area, close to city centre, short bus ride or a brisk wallk would get ya in. I don't know anything about these apartments but €550 is dirt cheap.......I'd look into it a bit more just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cfcilldara

Well thats far better than I expected...thanks so much for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Abbey St/Capel St is on the red luas line.

http://www.luas.ie/routes/ so plenty of places along that line. (out of all of them Fatima and Rialto would be the dodgiest)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Abbey St/Capel St is on the red luas line.

http://www.luas.ie/routes/ so plenty of places along that line. (out of all of them Fatima and Rialto would be the dodgiest)

I work in that area too. Look at Smithfield or Grangegorman maybe? I like this area as I can walk in to work in ten mins, and buses are available to most other parts of Dublin within a few mins walk. Rents are quite cheap there too, you'd get something decent for about 400 I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Donnycarney or Fairview is a handy place to get into town from. Also you have the dart as well as buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Tbh some of the areas listed above aren't exactly convenient - such as Dundrum, Lucan, or Castleknock. Certainly, not sure Southside suburbs make sense if you're working in the North City Centre.

Personally I'd look at Drumcondra - reasonable walking distance to Abbey/Capel Street, plenty of bus routes that will get you into the city centre on a rainy day, plus you would be living in a relatively vibrant area with pubs, restaurants etc. Also the area is considerably more settled and safe than the likes of Smithfield or Rialto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Living around Fairview / Donnycarney is very convenient to the city centre but also you are near the coast and with a bike there is great access to cycle paths along the coast to Howth. Dollymount, Bull Island, etc are all within easy reach so you don't feel hemmed in especially if you come up from a rural area. All work and no play as they say.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I rented in Clontarf for 6/7 years, loved it - by the sea, 10 mins by DART to Tara St, 15-20 mins on bus to Abbey St, zero trouble in 7 years, nice people... could do a lot worse, 500 should get you a room in a nice 2 bed

• Advertisement
Advertisement