Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flower is this?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I planted this a few months ago and have forgotten the name of it.
    The flowers started coming out the last couple of days and are really nice.
    I'd like to get a few more next year.

Anyone know what its name is?

217449.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a lily, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a stargazer lily, though I think that description simply means the flower is open upwards rather than hanging. There are loads of different variations and I am not sure that they are all named.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Also be careful with the stamens as they will ruin your clothes and near impossible to remove stain especially from whites. Stamens ( for those not in the know) are the long wisps coming from the centre of the flower with the brown tips, you can remove them without causing harm to the flower.

They are my favourite and will increase every year. After flowering cut them in half and feed well. ENJOY!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arandale wrote: »
    Also be careful with the stamens as they will ruin your clothes and near impossible to remove stain especially from whites. Stamens ( for those not in the know) are the long wisps coming from the centre of the flower with the brown tips, you can remove them without causing harm to the flower.

They are my favourite and will increase every year. After flowering cut them in half and feed well. ENJOY!:o

Thanks, I really like them , a few more opened up today and are really spectacular. Do they develop seed pods afterwards, why cut in half ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Yea, why halve them. I presume you mean the bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

They look like tiger lillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Asiatic lillies - probably "Yellow Pixie" - can be got in woodies and I got some this year in Lidl.

Stargazer lillies are generally pink/white and have a great scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think arandale means cut off the top of the stalk. The best way to increase lilies is to lift one and remove the little bulblets from around the main bulb and pot them up separately, or you can carefully take off some of the scales of the bulb and plant them half deep in gritty compost, they will produce a new tiny bulblet from the bottom which you can pot on and grow, its a slow job but very satisfying. You can replant the main bulb with either method. I think you can also grow them from seed but I have never done this myself as the scale method is so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Must try that Looksee, i love trying things out Thanks.

When i read my email back it does look strange alright, i mean to cut the stalk back by half and feed well. I put the bulbs on a little sand (builders) in pots, i then bury the pots around the garden, its so easy to lift them and bring them in for winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sidenote: Asiatic and Stargazer lillies can be fatally poisonous to cats, so if you have any, be wary of having the flowers inside the house in vases - apparently even chomping on a petal or drinking out if the vase can kill them :(.

http://phys.org/news157987446.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement