Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands greatest boxing family?

• 17-08-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Who is the greatest Irish boxing family ever? And if u can choose a top 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

There so many

Sutcliffes (Dublin)
    Hylands (Dublin)
    Magees (Belfast)
    Joyces (cork)
    Joyces (athy)
    Dunnes (Dublin)
    Collins (Dublin)
    Stephens (Dublin)
    McCormacks (Dublin)
    Mcauleys (Belfast)

I'm sure there many more remind me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Christles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lefthook84

jayroyal wrote: »
    There so many

Sutcliffes (Dublin)
    Hylands (Dublin)
    Magees (Belfast)
    Joyces (cork)
    Joyces (athy)
    Dunnes (Dublin)
    Collins (Dublin)
    Stephens (Dublin)
    McCormacks (Dublin)
    Mcauleys (Belfast)

Excellent knowledge there. Think also Storeys (belfast) and Nash (Derry). Who is the other Mcauley apart frm Dave boy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

YEARS AGO THERE WAS THE MCCULLUGHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Reynolds brothers -Sligo. 12 senior titles between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Fairly obv i would have thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQzYnbljZ9Y

Magee brothers = 15 Irish titles including 3 x senior titles, World junior silver, multi nations.

As professionals = 2 x Commonwealth champions, Irish champion, WBU World title. All 3 bros fought for European titles. Eamonn and Noel ranked in top 10 of WBC and WBO

Enough said :)

lefthook84 wrote: »
    There so many

Sutcliffes (Dublin)
    Hylands (Dublin)
    Magees (Belfast)
    Joyces (cork)
    Joyces (athy)
    Dunnes (Dublin)
    Collins (Dublin)
    Stephens (Dublin)
    McCormacks (Dublin)
    Mcauleys (Belfast)

Excellent knowledge there. Think also Storeys (belfast) and Nash (Derry). Who is the other Mcauley apart frm Dave boy?
    Eamon (coco) he has a great selection of fights on youtube from years ago

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Francie Barrett and his family.

Im a big fan of this channel, some great fights on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Beat this
    Brendan McCarthy/ 6 times Irish champion.Irish international
    Dermot McCarthy 3 times Irish champ. Irish international
    Mick McCarthy Irish lightweigh champ. Irish international.
    Terry McCarthy R/U Lightmiddle weigh Irish international
    Paddy McCarthy Irish international.

That is very impressive but in order to b considered the greatest family ever there has to be success at both amateur and professional level. There are approx 80-100 irish titles up for grabs each year at differernt levels but to win a major pro title (british, commonwealth, european, world) it id much harder. Ireland r lucky to have 1-2 of these champs at any one time. At the mo we have maybe 2-3.

That is very impressive but in order to b considered the greatest family ever there has to be success at both amateur and professional level. There are approx 80-100 irish titles up for grabs each year at differernt levels but to win a major pro title (british, commonwealth, european, world) it id much harder. Ireland r lucky to have 1-2 of these champs at any one time. At the mo we have maybe 2-3.
    Senior irish titles are alot harder to win at the moment than any pro belt other than the four world titles. FACT

Senior irish titles are alot harder to win at the moment than any pro belt other than the four world titles. FACT

Maybe in certain weights the senior title is as difficult to win e.g bantam, welter, light heavy as these are some of the best in europe but there is no way that winning an Irish senior title in other weights e.g heavy and super heavy is more difficult than winning a british, commonwealth or european heavyweight title as a pro. No way. Also u r guaranteed 10 senior champions every year however this is nt the case wit the pros. U have to take ur shot wen u get it ad u t nt guaranteed the chance 12 months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Maybe in certain weights the senior title is as difficult to win e.g bantam, welter, light heavy as these are some of the best in europe but there is no way that winning an Irish senior title in other weights e.g heavy and super heavy is more difficult than winning a british, commonwealth or european heavyweight title as a pro. No way. Also u r guaranteed 10 senior champions every year however this is nt the case wit the pros. U have to take ur shot wen u get it ad u t nt guaranteed the chance 12 months later.

Yes, but in order to win an Irish Senior title you have to fight more than one fight (often as many as 4 or 5) and all of them are top notch. The same cannot be said for plenty of pro champs. Ray Moylette (the reigning European champion) couldn't even reach the Irish final this year.

megadodge wrote: »
    Maybe in certain weights the senior title is as difficult to win e.g bantam, welter, light heavy as these are osome of the best in europe but there is no way that winning an Irish senior title in other weights e.g heavy and super heavy is more difficult than winning a british, commonwealth or european heavyweight title as a pro. No way. Also u r guaranteed 10 senior champions every year however this is nt the case wit the pros. U have to take ur shot wen u get it ad u t nt guaranteed the chance 12 months later.

Yes, but in order to win an Irish Senior title you have to fight more than one fight (often as many as 4 or 5) and all of them are top notch. The same cannot be said for plenty of pro champs. Ray Moylette (the reigning European champion) couldn't even reach the Irish final this year.

I understand that but that is nt the same for all irish senior titles for example there is no way it wud b easier for cathal mcmonagle to win the british/commonwealth titles than an irish senior title. Also to get to the point were u r fighting for major pro titles it takes up to 20-30 fights and years. Also there is no comparison between 3x3's at amateur level and 12x3's at pro level. Not saying the skill level in pros is better but dedication, fitness and balls is on another level when at the top level of pro game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

Would the Carruth's be worth a mention??

Danye wrote: »

I dont know much about anyone frm the family other than Michael. Wat have they achieved?

I understand that but that is nt the same for all irish senior titles for example there is no way it wud b easier for cathal mcmonagle to win the british/commonwealth titles than an irish senior title. Also to get to the point were u r fighting for major pro titles it takes up to 20-30 fights and years. Also there is no comparison between 3x3's at amateur level and 12x3's at pro level. Not saying the skill level in pros is better but dedication, fitness and balls is on another level when at the top level of pro game.

It's the exact same to fight for a senior Irish title, it just doesn't happen overnight.

But don't worry I appreciate what you're saying about the differing qualities required for each game. I regard them as different sports and have often mentioned that here.

I also agree that they r different sports. Thats y i said earlier that the truly best fighters r those that have been successful in both the amateur and pro games. Because it shows the amount of talent and hard work it takes a fighter to adapt their style onto both formats.

• Advertisement

Brendan, Miick and Dermot won, Terry was R/U all on the same night.

Is this at senior level? And wat year?

Is this at senior level? And wat year?
    Yes four in the finals of the Irish seniors. Brendad won a Bronze in the euros and boxed in the Mexico Olympics

Based on that, the mccarthys wud def b one of the greatest amateur families in Ireland.

I dont know much about anyone frm the family other than Michael. Wat have they achieved?

I wouldn't really know a whole lot about them either tbh as they seemed to be boxing long before my time.

I was always under the impression that Michael and his brothers had a few senior titles under their belt and obviously Michaels gold medal as well which is no mean feat.

I loosely remember being told a story that their father Austin was a boxer along with his wifes brothers. Not sure how accurate this is though??

Does anybody know anymore info about them?

Danye wrote: »

Micheal was the only to win a senior title

Micheal was the only to win a senior title

Really? I was always under the impression that a his brothers won a few as well.

Thanks for clearing that up.

From my recollection the only Carruth to win a senior title was Michael.
    I think two others won titles at other grades (open to correction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The Christles.

+1000
    Middle
    Light Heavy and heavy title on the same night in 1980

• Advertisement

drzhivago wrote: »
    +1000
    Middle
    Light Heavy and heavy title on the same night in 1980[/QUOSS