Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for Ethiopia

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

So....I'm going to Ethiopia in a few months. Can anybody recommend any books to read either before or for while I'm there (for the latter preferably small print and long!). Novels, travelogues etc...just want to open my eyes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I can't think of anything myself, but a quick Amazon search brought me to this. Scroll down to the customer reviews. They seem very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Cutting for Stone creates great images of Ethiopia (well to me it did but can't say I've actually been) has sold very well and is very popular. An easy read too. It is fiction though rather than fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Thanks, those both look great and I can see that there are other suggestions on Amazon for people who bought those, so I'll probably find myself a mini library!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

muckisluck wrote: »
    Cutting for Stone creates great images of Ethiopia (well to me it did but can't say I've actually been) has sold very well and is very popular. An easy read too. It is fiction though rather than fact.

Just my two cents, I found Cutting for Stone incredibly boring...I couldn't finish it. I'm in a bookclub and half the people loved it and half hated it. Two of us couldn't finish it. People did say the end of the book really made it so perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance... I couldn't care about the characters though and I found it very slow paced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The Emperor by Ryszard Kapuscinski is a brilliant read, although very short. Charts the downfall of Haile Sallaise (sp?) and a little bit about the government/regime that followed (if I remember correctly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Cool. i actually ordered 'The Shadow of the Sun' by Ryszard Kapuscinski just last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Cool. i actually ordered 'The Shadow of the Sun' by Ryszard Kapuscinski just last week.

Another great book. Maybe try that and see if you like his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorry, Op, your thread title reminded me of this. :D

2010-11-18-21-23-581921223553.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Dervla Murphy's travel book about Ethiopia.
    Paul Theroux's "Dark Star Safari" - about revisiting Africa generally, not specifically Ethiopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

The Sign and The Seal - Graham Hancock
    http://www.grahamhancock.com/library/sats/default.htm

Actual real-life search for the Ark of The Covenant which Hancock heard was rumoured to be in the Holy of Holies in one of the churches in N. Ethiopia, Axum or Gondor.
    Starts in Ethiopia but takes a wide trip around Gothic Europe churches (incld. Chartes),Knights Templars and the search for the Holy Grail (Parcival).
    It's pre-The Da Vinci Code but very much in the same clue is in the detail that that book may convey (I've never read The Da Vinci Code)

Honest reason given he was in Ethiopia to hear these rumours. He was writing text, his wife was taking pictures for a Mengistu Government coffee-table book of Ethiopia in the early 1980's.(that may be a book for your reading list.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Evelyn Waugh wrote a short book about the coronation of Haile Selassie, http://www.amazon.com/Coronation-Haile-Selassie-Evelyn-Waugh/dp/0141022442 it's very good.
    LiamMc wrote: »
    The Sign and The Seal - Graham Hancock
    http://www.grahamhancock.com/library/sats/default.htm

Actual real-life search for the Ark of The Covenant which Hancock heard was rumoured to be in the Holy of Holies in one of the churches in N. Ethiopia, Axum or Gondor.
    Starts in Ethiopia but takes a wide trip around Gothic Europe churches (incld. Chartes),Knights Templars and the search for the Holy Grail (Parcival).
    It's pre-The Da Vinci Code but very much in the same clue is in the detail that that book may convey (I've never read The Da Vinci Code)

Honest reason given he was in Ethiopia to hear these rumours. He was writing text, his wife was taking pictures for a Mengistu Government coffee-table book of Ethiopia in the early 1980's.(that may be a book for your reading list.)
    Sounds a bit Dan Brownish but I'm sure it'd be fun.

Advertisement