Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think religious people are...

• 17-08-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Please bare with me for this post, because I'm honestly not trolling and don't want the post to be perceived as a trolling attempt. (I've even edited the thread title to try prove this) - Everything I am going to say, I'm being serious as it's something that has actually started troubling me a little bit. I'm not going to give background on why I'm atheist/agnostic or what I believe etc. It's probably obvious from my post.

Anyway lately I've been noticing (more than usual) religious people in different areas of my life (work, social settings, family, media, etc) - people I would (or should) usually respect, speaking about their religious beliefs and the only thing running through my head while they are talking is - "what an absolute f**king retard, what is gone wrong with this persons brain", (I would never say that in public to or about a specific person, out of respect and probable personal consequences of insulting people - e.g. losing my job, fighting with family , etc)

..and then my shock actually turns to sympathy for them. I wonder has something painful or traumatic happened in their life, or during their upbringing that led to them believing this nonsense. Anyway just wondering is it normal to have these condescending thoughts about religious people and how do you generally deal with these thoughts going through life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

If you make your feelings known you will likely be known as a 'smart ass'. It's normal for theists to view your words as condescending and annoying.

I'm sure everyone here knows how you feel, but all our circumstances are different. Choose your battles. If you want any, that is.

It's almost like 'seeing behind the curtain'. 'Knowing how the magic trick works'. How can you possibly go back to believing that the woman is actually cut in half?

How to deal with these thought in life?

I hope you have friends who are like-minded. Otherwise, and I may be going out on a limb here, avoid the topic. "You see the new Avengers movie?" (brilliant movie btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Everyone has thoughts that they don't vocalize, not just atheists about the religious. It's part of being a human being to dilute the thoughts that happen in your head and edit what comes out of your mouth. It's part of learning to live in a society.

That doesn't mean that you can't express skepticism at certain times. As the previous poster said, you have to pick your battles, and be rational, sure of what you're saying and what you believe, and assertive but not aggressive. YOu may feel like calling your fundamentalist aunt a moron, but it's not going to win you any arguments, (or mentions in her will ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Yes i feel like that, it really annoys me too, i dont like that i feel that way towards people but i cant help it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

I feel that on a daily basis, but I've come to accept it.
    The reality is, a lot of people in your life don't believe it because it's true, but because they need to.

It's an emotional weakness more than an intellectual one in my experience.

Theists generally don't want the truth and are happy living in their own little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭speaking

Liamario wrote: »

Theist generally don't want the truth and are happy living in their own little world.

Just be happy that you have the truth and are superior to religious people in your understanding of the world. I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Have you tried apathy? As long as they're not negatively impacting you, your family or friends, they can believe whatever claptrap they like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's a huge difference between people who tick catholic on the census and those who are overtly religious. The former are pretty much most people you meet, and the latter are a different breed altogether.

All I'll say is if one of my kids was to become religious in more than the 'brought up in it' way, I'd have to ask myself questions as to what was missing from their life that they needed to go that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The fear of what lies beyond death drives a few to religion. Others join in their hour of need; it's nicer to think your loved one goes to some happy place than to rot in the ground. And some for the support network that doesn't always exist elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

I feel the same about liverpool fans but they're totally fair game.
    I couldn't be arsed any more with regards to religious people though. Sure, if there's one I can have a reasoned debate with, I'll engage, but that doesn't come up much. Pretty much all my friends are staunch atheists (none of this namby-pandy agnosticism) so when the whiskey flows at 5am and we're all having the craic, religion is the last thing on our minds 'cause we just.don't.care.

Try not to let it get to you and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Birdfood

Please bare with me for this post, because I'm honestly not trolling and don't want the post to be perceived as a trolling attempt. (I've even edited the thread title to try prove this) - Everything I am going to say, I'm being serious as it's something that has actually started troubling me a little bit. I'm not going to give background on why I'm atheist/agnostic or what I believe etc. It's probably obvious from my post.

Anyway lately I've been noticing (more than usual) religious people in different areas of my life (work, social settings, family, media, etc) - people I would (or should) usually respect, speaking about their religious beliefs and the only thing running through my head while they are talking is - "what an absolute f**king retard, what is gone wrong with this persons brain", (I would never say that in public to or about a specific person, out of respect and probable personal consequences of insulting people - e.g. losing my job, fighting with family , etc)

..and then my shock actually turns to sympathy for them. I wonder has something painful or traumatic happened in their life, or during their upbringing that led to them believing this nonsense. Anyway just wondering is it normal to have these condescending thoughts about religious people and how do you generally deal with these thoughts going through life?

You are a Bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

the_syco wrote: »
    The fear of what lies beyond death drives a few to religion. Others join in their hour of need; it's nicer to think your loved one goes to some happy place than to rot in the ground. And some for the support network that doesn't always exist elsewhere.
    ^this is a big part of why Im religious.

The theory you have about religious people having something missing from their lives is how I feel about aetheists. Im not overly religious but I have faith. Your post sounds ignorant imo - have you ever considered that those 'religious' types feel exactly the same way about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I think you the OP needs to maybe figure out why you feel that way.
    Because maybe some people have the same thoughts about people who think like you or me for that matter.

Life might be easier to learn to ignore other people's beliefs or non beliefs.

Since I'm usually neutral on these matters,I usually feel more sorry for the people who waste their time being obsessed with what way nonbelievers or believers think.

Because at the end of the day if they're not directing their views at me,why should I give someone's opinion free rent in my head.
    If I don't like what's on one radio station ill switch over to the other.

I hope you have good peace of mind today,don't let other people's thoughts etc pollute your mind,as when one starts to do other people's thinking they loose their own mind ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Birdfood wrote: »
    You are a Bigot.
    Any more of that kind of stuff and cards will be handed out, bans, that kind of thing.

robindch wrote: »
    Birdfood wrote: »
    You are a Bigot.
    Any more of that kind of stuff and cards will be handed out, bans, that kind of thing.

Looks like the early bird is out for his worm lol
    Robin/ Birdfood do you get it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hey, I recommend not venturing over to the Christianity forum, for your own sanity.

Hey, I recommend not venturing over to the Christianity forum, for your own sanity.

Now your after planting that seed in their head,they won't resist it now lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Northclare wrote: »
    Birdfood do you get it
    Nope, I had fruit salad for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

The theory you have about religious people having something missing from their lives is how I feel about aetheists. Im not overly religious but I have faith. Your post sounds ignorant imo - have you ever considered that those 'religious' types feel exactly the same way about you?

If you are religious because you are afraid of what happens after death then isnt that pure self indulgence? its purely to make yourself feel better about it and not have to think about what really happens. If thats the case i find that kind of ignorant.

Easier still to numb one's brain with the comfort of a bearded father figure up in the clouds, who will re-unite us with our family (even if they're awful people) for eternity, and he'll put all the bad people in a hot cave of sorts, which is run by a red skinned guard with big pointy horns.
    Since I'm usually neutral on these matters,I usually feel more sorry for the people who waste their time being obsessed with what way nonbelievers or believers think.

And yet, here you are. Over 300 of your posts are in this forum and the christianity forum. (191, 126 respectively). OH YEAH!!!!, who wants to touch me?

• Advertisement

I don't get the logic in this post. You say the post sounds ignorant while stating that a big part of why you are religious is stating it is for the benefits it provides.

Also, why would a religious type feel exactly the same way about atheists? Who would be an atheist to fill a void in their life or because not believing in a God is comforting? (Mind you, if people didn't gloss over Gods antics in the Old Testement you'd have good reasons to be thankful he's not real!)

Dades wrote: »
    I don't get the logic in this post. You say the post sounds ignorant while stating that a big part of why you are religious is stating it is for the benefits it provides.

Also, why would a religious type feel exactly the same way about atheists? Who would be an atheist to fill a void in their life or because not believing in a God is comforting? (Mind you, if people didn't gloss over Gods antics in the Old Testement you'd have good reasons to be thankful he's not real!)

Well, it's not like he committed Mass Genocide or anything.

098-Genocide-stories-for-kids.jpg

Easier still to numb one's brain with the comfort of a bearded father figure up in the clouds, who will re-unite us with our family (even if they're awful people) for eternity, and he'll put all the bad people in a hot cave of sorts, which is run by a red skinned guard with big pointy horns.

And yet, here you are. Over 300 of your posts are in this forum and the christianity forum. (191, 126 respectively). OH YEAH!!!!, who wants to touch me?

I see I have a stalker here,everytime iv logged in your the last to check out my username :)

Ok Joseph I reread your post.

I am usually neutral on issues surrounding issues on people getting annoyed with people's belief or lack of.

I cant understand why people waste their time worrying about people's thoughts etc

I have my own opinions I suppose I can be a hypocrite at times but I'm content with my contradictions.

I try not to slagg off Atheists for not believing,Agnostics for their stance,and believers for believing..

I suppose I get more annoyed with assholes who tend to pick on others.

In school I was the big guy who hated bullies and tackled the people who picked on people or slagged off those who couldn't stand up for themselves.

Maybe it's a defect of character I have,ill think about it over the weekend...

Thanks Joseph if you didn't pull me up on it maybe I would have not looked at myself that way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I see I have a stalker here,everytime iv logged in your the last to check out my username :)

That's because I log out before checking your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tdawg

Ok Joseph I reread your post.

I am usually neutral on issues surrounding issues on people getting annoyed with people's belief or lack of.

I cant understand why people waste their time worrying about people's thoughts etc

I have my own opinions I suppose I can be a hypocrite at times but I'm content with my contradictions.

I try not to slagg off Atheists for not believing,Agnostics for their stance,and believers for believing..

I suppose I get more annoyed with assholes who tend to pick on others.

In school I was the big guy who hated bullies and tackled the people who picked on people or slagged off those who couldn't stand up for themselves.

Maybe it's a defect of character I have,ill think about it over the weekend...

Thanks Joseph if you didn't pull me up on it maybe I would have not looked at myself that way :)

I agree with this.

I think judging a person based on religion is a poor character trait, and if it were to extend to actually effecting your own decision making then I think it becomes a major problem. Personally my own non-belief plays such a minimal part in my life that I really don't care what other people believe due to their own experiences in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think that the fact more and more people are speaking about their religion is that there's a perceived attack on religiosity by atheists, so some people seek to affirm their beliefs by speaking about them publicly. I don't have a problem with this.

Of course, as we know there isn't an atheist attack on religion; most atheist declarations I've come across are less 'your religion is stupid, and you're stupid' and more 'if you don't believe in gods it's ok to say so'.

Unfortuately some religious people are so insecure that any public declaration of atheism is seen as an attack on religion (I follow 'Atheist' on facebook, and religious people regularly attack the very existance of the page as 'shoving' atheism down their throats, regardless of the facts that 1) there are probably hundreds more 'God' pages than 'atheist' pages, and 2) they had to actively go looking for the page in order to have atheism 'shoved' anywhere.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

tdawg wrote: »
    Personally my own non-belief plays such a minimal part in my life that I really don't care what other people believe due to their own experiences in life.

This. I'm an atheist and I hardly ever think about it. Its just (not:)) there, like my eye or hair colour.

I don't have dismissive or condescending thoughts about religious people because I know that you can be religious and clever, religious and tolerant, religious and nice, religious and whatever type of person anyone else can be.

So I don't tar all theists with the "stupid, sheep-like, and intolerant" brush.

Just like I hope people don't tar me, as an atheist, with the "smug, condescending and superior" brush.

And to be fair, I know lots of atheist who are pretty dim. One particularly vociferous one is devoted to his Bach Flower Remedies. Another friend isn't an atheist but despises the mentality of devout Christians, but is a practising Pagan. The point is, they're nice and good people, whatever crap they believe.

Life's too short to give someone else's beliefs that sort of headspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Hmmm, to me you sound intolerant of other peoples' believes.
    You seem to believe that anyone who doesn't share your beliefs are mentally retarded or emotionally traumatized.
    Apart from that you sound like a very nice person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Easier still to numb one's brain with the comfort of a bearded father figure up in the clouds, who will re-unite us with our family (even if they're awful people) for eternity

Well for those of us who have lost close family members it is a comfort to believe that we will see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Well for those of us who have lost close family members it is a comfort to believe that we will see them again.

I wouldn't have bothered saying that Galway Guy.
    You're going to get somebody taking the piss out of your believes any second.
    "Sky Fairies, Spagetti Monster, Bearded Guy, etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Quite a shocking post really and one which would seem indicative of issues going on which are far greater than the ones you are so indignant about ;)

Hmmm, to me you sound intolerant of other peoples' believes.
    You seem to believe that anyone who doesn't share your beliefs are mentally retarded or emotionally traumatized.
    Apart from that you sound like a very nice person.
    You think the OP is intolerant because when someone says something he finds stupid, he thinks it's stupid? He even makes the point that he would never actually say this to the people saying stupid things. Does this really strike you as being intolerant?

I think horse racing is retarded, that doesn't mean I'm intolerant of horse racing and it doesn't mean that I think jockeys are mentally retarded.

I getting really sick of these reactionary judgemental "Oh you think your[sic] all high and mighty because you disagree with something and stated your disagreement but I'm not being high and mighty by pointing this out to you,I'm just being the neutral" type posts. Especially when they completely miss the point of the OP.

And presumptuous crap like this.

You know, it's funny, you complain about others thinking lowly of people and then, oh wait, ha ha, no you didn't! You show how low you think other posters are going to be. . .

(Apologies, for the ellipsis.)

Jernal wrote: »
    I getting really sick of these reactionary judgemental "Oh you think your[sic] all high and mighty because you disagree with something and stated your disagreement but I'm not being high and mighty by pointing this out to you,I'm just being the neutral" type posts. Especially when they completely miss the point of the OP.

And presumptuous crap like this.

You know, it's funny, you complain about others thinking lowly of people and then, oh wait, ha ha, no you didn't! You show how low you think other posters are going to be. . .

(Apologies, for the ellipsis.)

Thanks Jernal now someone else is getting sick of you getting sick lol

Who is top of the food chain here lol

Now I'm getting sick of getting sick of getting sick of......

**** now I'm really confused

• Advertisement

Thanks Jernal now someone else is getting sick of you getting sick lol

Who is top of the food chain here lol

Now I'm getting sick of getting sick of getting sick of......

**** now I'm really confused

I'm getting sick of your lols and oh for God's sake was that ellipsis even necessary!? :mad:

I'm also getting sick of my getting sick of getting sick of getting sick . . . Argh! more ellipses, I am definitely sick of those. :mad:

Turtles are the bottom. That's what they say, turtles. On the top? I don't know, God?

riveratom wrote: »
    Quite a shocking post really and one which would seem indicative of issues going on which are far greater than the ones you are so indignant about ;)
    Do you think flat earthers or creationists are in any way stupid? Or do not even dare to consider even the most utterly ridiculous beliefs stupid in case you shock yourself?

The OP was just being honest about what he thinks in his head. And I thought God was the only one listening to your thoughts to judge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's nice for you, but it's not a belief I share. Everyone in my family has a strong personality and putting us all in a house for a weekend would lead to carnage so, much as I love them, I can't think of a worse hell than being forced to spend eternity with them.
    Giselle wrote: »
    The point is, they're nice and good people, whatever crap they believe.
    And it's a very good point.

I wouldn't have bothered saying that Galway Guy.

Oh please, spare us the paranoia and the victim mentality. You do realise that you're on the Atheism forum, right?

kylith wrote: »
    That's nice for you, but it's not a belief I share. Everyone in my family has a strong personality and putting us all in a house for a weekend would lead to carnage so, much as I love them, I can't think of a worse hell than being forced to spend eternity with them.

That's fair enough, I lost nearly all my family early in life so it's just something I like to believe in but I keep my beliefs to myself mostly and wouldn't push them on anyone else.

I know some Christians can be pushy and feel they have to "convert" people and I wouldn't agree with that.

• Advertisement

It may be a comfort, but it doesn't make it true, and it doesn't mean that it makes any sense. And religious people don't have a monopoly on losing people close to them. People in atheists' families pass away too, it doesn't necessarily mean that we all suddenly take up a religious belief because we want it to be true.

fisgon wrote: »
    It may be a comfort, but it doesn't make it true, and it doesn't mean that it makes any sense. And religious people don't have a monopoly on losing people close to them. People in atheists' families pass away too, it doesn't necessarily mean that we all suddenly take up a religious belief because we want it to be true.

What difference does it make to you what I believe in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Undiscovered

I used to feel similarly to the OP but then I came to the realisation that such an attitude was doing nobody any favours. Having such a militant stance isn't going to win anyone over to your side. Rather it'll do the complete opposite and simply affirm you as a jerk who isn't worth listening to. It's better to be understanding and respectful and remember that not everyone thinks in the same way as you or sees the world in the same manner. What seems stupid and obvious to you might be a completely different matter to them. You don't know what life experiences or upbringings they've had.

I have lots of people in my life who are religious and I don't make any issue of it. They're good people and that's the most important thing. As long as they don't shove their beliefs in my face it's cool, I don't shove my atheism in their faces either. On the other hand, if it's a debate they're looking for they'll get one ;)

Theo Dorgan has a piece in today's Irish Times about some people's reactions to Katie Taylor and her profession of faith. Apparently some people have been dismissive of her crediting god for her success. Dorgan doesn't like this.

Personally, once I heard her going on about "the grace of god in my life," my opinion of her changed. I think that there was a certain degree of hysteria about the Irish coverage of her anyway, but her constant references to prayers and god made me more ambivalent than I already was.

She is not alone as a sportsperson in crediting god for her medals. Like the OP, to me this kind of idiocy needs to be ridiculed. It puts forward an idea of a god that is powerful enough to create the whole universe, is transcendent and all-knowing, does nothing, or is incapable of doing anything about famines, tsunamis or earthquakes that kill thousands of people, and yet has this special interest in the outcome of sporting events. Footballers pointing to the sky as if god has helped them score, when an earthquake has just wiped out whole villages. That's one god with his priorities severely messed up.

Simply put, many religious beliefs are moronic, as the OP said, and there is nothing wrong with thinking that.

jesus-011.jpg?w=510

I'm going to assume that's not a rhetorical question and hope you're genuinely asking. I'd say, at a guess, no difference whatsoever unless you try to use your religious beliefs to influence state laws.

I used to feel similarly to the OP but then I came to the realisation that such an attitude was doing nobody any favours. Having such a militant stance isn't going to win anyone over to your side

That-Word.jpg

Seriously, intolerant and now militant. People should need licences before they can use certain words.

edit: Dammit, someone already used this one earlier in the thread! Now I look like a fool, a fool dammit!!! :mad:

Not sure why you think it does make a difference to me. I was simply responding to your post, and giving a different perspective. You brought up your beliefs, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Undiscovered

fisgon wrote: »
    Theo Dorgan has a piece in today's Irish Times about some people's reactions to Katie Taylor and her profession of faith. Apparently some people have been dismissive of her crediting god for her success. Dorgan doesn't like this.

Personally, once I heard her going on about "the grace of god in my life," my opinion of her changed. I think that there was a certain degree of hysteria about the Irish coverage of her anyway, but her constant references to prayers and god made me more ambivalent than I already was.

She is not alone as a sportsperson in crediting god for her medals. Like the OP, to me this kind of idiocy needs to be ridiculed. It puts forward an idea of a god that is powerful enough to create the whole universe, is transcendent and all-knowing, does nothing, or is incapable of doing anything about famines, tsunamis or earthquakes that kill thousands of people, and yet has this special interest in the outcome of sporting events. Footballers pointing to the sky as if god has helped them score, when an earthquake has just wiped out whole villages. That's one god with his priorities severely messed up.

Simply put, many religious beliefs are moronic, as the OP said, and there is nothing wrong with thinking that.

I just think it's a shame because attributing her success to God isn't giving enough merit to herself, her trainers or her family enough credit for all the hard work, support and determination they must have put in.

I used to feel similarly to the OP but then I came to the realisation that such an attitude was doing nobody any favours. Having such a militant stance isn't going to win anyone over to your side. Rather it'll do the complete opposite and simply affirm you as a jerk who isn't worth listening to. It's better to be understanding and respectful and remember that not everyone thinks in the same way as you or sees the world in the same manner. What seems stupid and obvious to you might be a completely different matter to them. You don't know what life experiences or upbringings they've had.

I think if you actually read his post, you'll find that these are his thoughts, not what he says. In fact he specifically says that he hasn't actually put these thoughts into words out of respect. We all have thoughts that are more extreme than what we actually say.

Jernal wrote: »
    jesus-011.jpg?w=510

I'm going to assume that's not a rhetorical question and hope you're genuinely asking. I'd say, at a guess, no difference whatsoever unless you try to use your religious beliefs to influence state laws.

It was a genuine question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement