Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to make for profit?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am totally free every day literally doing nothing 24/7 and I already learned for my course a year ahead which is databases and web developing basic php.
    I know:
    HTML (xhtml, html and html5), CSS (CSS and CSS3, divs, classes etc..)
    I know MySQL, I know PHP very well and javascript medium level.

So I was wondering what useful thing could I make for profit? I can easily make forum CMS I know all that stuff like file handling etc.. Or should I make a databases and php forms or something? I am just bored totally, or even some open source project for humanity, anyone got any ideas to spare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rentacoder.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Can I suggest that you contribute to an existing open source project first. There are plenty out there, wander through github / sourceforge and find an active one that genuinely interests you. Check out the backlogs to see what needs doing.

You will learn more this way than struggling to re-invent the wheel & flying solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Can I suggest that you contribute to an existing open source project first. There are plenty out there, wander through github / sourceforge and find an active one that genuinely interests you. Check out the backlogs to see what needs doing.

You will learn more this way than struggling to re-invent the wheel & flying solo.

I agree, it looks great on a CV and you will learn a lot about bigger projects... You might even get some inspiration for your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fike

When I am stuck at a computer wondering what I should code, I always ask myself is there something I could program to make something more efficient or something that adds to my computing experience.

But that never works, so don't do it ;)

Don't aim on working on some huge, profitable project just yet. Build a portfolio of small personal projects and go up the ladder.

However, imho, you should concentrate on building a "portfolio" of your code on GitHub. GitHub is a social platform built on the idea of open source software/web development. Git is a version control system you should probably learn the basics of how to use first though. As someone said, GitHub and Sourcefourge (ew, SVN) are two of the largest places to find open, free code you can look at and tinker with to your hearts content (of course while complying with the appropriate licensing terms).

Also, consider learning new things. New programming languages (and frameworks) such as Python + Django, Ruby + Ruby on Rails and Node.js + Geddy -- and new database systems such as MongoDB, Postgres and CouchDB.

I never aim for profit personally, I just love programming no matter how good or bad I am at it.

But thats my 2c anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got a good guide for getting started with open source projects? I'd like to give it a go, but my Git knowledge is still pretty limited, and I don't know (a) where to look for a project seeking input, (b) where desired/desirable patches are listed for that project, (c) where to get permission (?) to get involved with a project, etc...

I have a Github account, let's start there :p Now what?!

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone got a good guide for getting started with open source projects? I'd like to give it a go, but my Git knowledge is still pretty limited, and I don't know (a) where to look for a project seeking input, (b) where desired/desirable patches are listed for that project, (c) where to get permission (?) to get involved with a project, etc...

Are you using windows? If so get the windows client. Then just go searching through for projects you like the look of and clone them to your account (one button click) from there you have your own fork you can buzz around with.

Usually a project will have an issues list, if there is something there you can take a stab at go do it in your fork and then you can submit this to the original author, who finally decides if they want it or not, if not you can continue on with your fork

Link to the Github Client for Windows:

http://windows.github.com/

Word of warning, clone on the site first then use the download to windows one, otherwise the syncing is weird due to permissions. So Clone on site, download via client, bobs your uncle!

Github, by the way, is a bit different than most places, the idea is that you clone other peoples work rather than work on the direct copy. This is why you see loads of people who's accounts have repo's that are the same, this works out great for things like patching with something that only you need.

Say you had framework x cloned. This framework fibbles all the wibbles. But you would like this framework to fibble all the wibbles only when it's tiggled... In general you don't want to be asking the author to do this for you so what you do is clone and add your functionality.

You now have your own repo with the tiggled functionality. From here you can ask the author if he wants you to submit it as a patch so it can be merged into the orginal repo, if he declines you don't have to scrap, you can keep your repo in sync with his but with the addition of your tiggle functionality...

As an example, the twitter bootstrap tools (for building websites) has 7600 odd forks, this means there are 7600 odd version, many people who fork have no intention of integrating back in and are basically using it as a starting point for their own projects + customisations

https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks alot Dean, that's plenty to get me going! Will download the Windows client and start from there.

I feel a bit dirty using a GUI though... I should really know more about how it works on a command line level :-/

Thanks alot Dean, that's plenty to get me going! Will download the Windows client and start from there.

I feel a bit dirty using a GUI though... I should really know more about how it works on a command line level :-/

The client also downloads GitBash and an interactive tutorial can be found here : http://try.github.com/levels/1/challenges/1

• Advertisement
Advertisement