Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind damaged tree

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Last Wednesday's high wind damaged an Acer Autumn Blaze Tree that I planted 6 years ago. On arriving home in the evening I found the tree swaying up to 15-20 degrees in the wind and the trunk loose in the ground.

I secured the tree upright again with 4 stakes and a timber frame holding the trunk upright with a 4" PVC pipe protecting the bark from the frame.

Will the roots re-establish themselves in 12-24 months or do more experienced gardeners have other concerns about what I have done and would advise a different course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

an oblique stake like this one is all you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fFNftCOG28

anything else builds in a defect.

The main roots have been damaged, and the tree may need staking for the rest of it life. Use rubber ties to ensure no damage to the bark and secure as low as possible on the trunk as its the roots you are trying to support not the trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Sikie wrote: »
    Last Wednesday's high wind damaged an Acer Autumn Blaze Tree that I planted 6 years ago. On arriving home in the evening I found the tree swaying up to 15-20 degrees in the wind and the trunk loose in the ground.

I secured the tree upright again with 4 stakes and a timber frame holding the trunk upright with a 4" PVC pipe protecting the bark from the frame.

Will the roots re-establish themselves in 12-24 months or do more experienced gardeners have other concerns about what I have done and would advise a different course of action?
    Agree with oldtree.
    Do that and there should be no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All you need to do is stop the roots from rocking, the stem needs to be able to bend in the wind which will strengthen it. A low down anchor will hold it.

The piping idea does not sound great for a number of reasons, one being that it will harbour pests and disease, it could also bind off the tree in the wind and do damage to the bark. A rubber tie is the best bet.

The tie needs to both hold the tree away from the stake, and hold it to the stake, which sounds contradictory but a rubber tie to a strong, low stake will do both these things.

At a guess I would say your tree will be ok, it is young enough to reestablish, but old enough to have a good basic root system.

Advertisement