Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

How many tags would people recomend for websites?

Haven't done much of this and theres alot of conflicting articles online about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 caminowebmaster

If by tags you are talking about the keyword tag - I suggest none. Don't bother with it at all. Google do not take note of these and you just make it easier for competitors to see what you want to rank for.

Have great on page content - I suggest a good length, make sure there is no duplicate content on your site. Then have good title tags that are not longer than 70 characters including spaces. make it read like a sentence, not just a list of keywords. Then write a very good description tag for each page - this is your sales / marketing text to get people to click your link when it appears in the google results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭bceltic

Hi off the walls, which tags do you mean?

Meta Tag Keywords are not used by Google in its algorithm. Here it is confirmed by Matt Cutts - http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/ - Bing on the other hand does still take into account meta keywords but it's a very small ranking factor. Some SEOs argue against including it because it let's your competitors know your target keywords: read here for more: http://searchengineland.com/the-meta-keywords-tag-lives-at-bing-why-only-spammers-should-use-it-96874

There are a whole bunch of other meta tags:
    Title
    Description
    Robots
    etc.

Here is a guide directly from Google: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=79812

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Hi Guys

I don't know if yo can help me with this. I'm a Marriage Guidance Counsellor who is trying to build some traction with my website. Are there any any specific SEO techniques I can use to attract more vistors to my site. So far I've only written a couple of articles which are back linked to my site.

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

With an area like your own - I'd fee that you have to concentrate on content. I think that's where you'll begin to see some traffic.
    I wouldn't expect a massive amount of traffic as the keyword is not one that searched a whole heap - the thing to remember is that when it is searched it's a very high involvement type type search. The searcher is very different to one say looking for, iphone 5 reviews (No disrespect - just trying to make the difference extreme).
    As the searcher is looking for something that has to be on the start of a very emotional journey, the way your website is presented and the confidence it shows and certain levels empathy and trust are going to be vital.
    A spartan website, devoid of information etc will not win over anyone's confidence.
    So, get that in order first, then start looking for traffic. Don't deliver punters to a half baked site!.

If you want to pm me a link, I'll look at the site and give you a few (brief!) pointers.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Thanks C

Will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement