Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Trees

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

My Apple Trees are showing very little fruit on them this year. Last year I got a great crop of Apples. I never got to Prune them in December as I was away. Would this be the reason or do they only produce every second year.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

sky6 wrote: »
    My Apple Trees are showing very little fruit on them this year. Last year I got a great crop of Apples. I never got to Prune them in December as I was away. Would this be the reason or do they only produce every second year.
    Thanks.

Most probably late frosts damaging the buds.. Lots of fruit trees are yielding poorly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

No apples here either, frost the may weekend got most of the flowers and their hasn't been enough sunshine to fill fruit this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I have 4 trees and one apple :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The joys of keeping fruit !!
    Last Autumn I gathered enough Damsons to make a dozen pots of jam and make a half dozen bottles of reasonable fruit wine...

This year, NOT ONE DAMSON ! :eek:

Many years ago people would light a "smoker" in their garden/orchard in late April/May. If the buds were well swolen or in flower and overnight frosts were due, a smouldering fire was lit in a barrel and it was usually enough to keep frosts at bay as it would smoulder away the whole night...

Advertisement