Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Darkness Hot Cakes

Options
  • 18-08-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Gotta say this is one of the few albums I'm expectantly waiting for, only 3 or is it 2? days to go. It's good to see them back. I've been listening to the first two albums, first album is a classic. That riff to Black Shuck is badass, second album is interesting to listen to given that it cost a million to produce, though not as good. In addition what's with the lukewarm response across the world to the new Gojira album? It took about 2 or 3 listens to realise it's very good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

1st Album = great
    2nd Album = diet Queen
    3rd Album = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gotta say this is one of the few albums I'm expectantly waiting for, only 3 or is it 2? days to go. It's good to see them back. I've been listening to the first two albums, first album is a classic. That riff to Black Shuck is badass, second album is interesting to listen to given that it cost a million to produce, though not as good. In addition what's with the lukewarm response across the world to the new Gojira album? It took about 2 or 3 listens to realise it's very good.

Came out yesterday in Ireland. The UK release day for CDs is Monday (20th) but the Irish cd release day is always the Friday before the UK release date.

So now you can go out and get the album today rather than waiting until Monday for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I actually like the 2nd album so I'm probably in the minority there but I haven't been impressed with the first couple of songs they released off this one so I won't be rushing out to buy it. I'll wait until HMV have it on sale for €4.99 in a couple of months.

EDIT - Rolling Stone are streaming the album so I had a listen. While it's not bad it's not great either and it's the kind of album you listen to a few times when you first get it and then never listen to it again. Fairly forgettable stuff.

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/darkness.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Had a listen to it, not as good as Permission, but then what could be? Better I think than One Way Ticket, which I like for nostalgia reasons. First track is a good glam rock stomper, similar in style to Bowie's Jean Geanie. Second track has a very catchy chorus, reminds me of classic Queen, Keep me Hangin' On is a good piece of country rock, redolent of Sweet Home Alabama, it has a good swing to it. Livin' Every Day Blind has an incredible opening, very regal, as an intro it could be up there with the best of Queen, Concrete is a good pedal to the metal rock tune. Their cover of Street Spirit is brilliant, love the dog barks at the beginning and I say this as former universal fan of Radiohead and now as just a fan of the everything pre Kid A. Love is Not the Answer is ok, it has a very pop chorus, as a pop tune it's well written, Canonball has a great flute solo, its so unashamedely 70s, I like it for that. Overall this album is very solid, the only dud track is I Can't Believe it's not Love which is a bit too lite pop. Additionally it's a more mellow album than Permission which was like the visual equivalent of a continuous vibrant explosion. It actually sounds more mature, despite some of the lyrics, more in control and there is, it would seem, an overarching sense of melancholy which is ultimately subordinate to the stoic resolve on display with the performances and the general attitude of good times rock n' roll. I'll give this 7/10, a welcome return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This albums really growing on me (pun intended)

That radiohead cover is magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yes, the Radiohead cover is better than the original and I say this as a huge fan of Radiohead's first 3 albums when they were still a rock band. :) They've been on a one way ticket to hell and back, they got stuck in a rut and now they've released a hot cake of an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

It's going to take a while longer to grow on me I think, its hard to go from really heavy stuff to The Darkness ..I turned it off after the first 3 songs but eventually I'll get around to giving it a full listen :)

Advertisement