Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving bAby to her own room.

• 18-08-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

just wondering when do people generally start moving their baby into their own room??
    my little girl is 18 weeks. sleeps from about ten till eight straight through. has been in her cot about two months. no prob with the transition as i used to put her in it for the odd nap or while id be getting dressed.
    but now im due to go back to work in four weeks... and with her slightest whimper waking me im wondering should i move her? or is it miles too soon??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I waited til 8 months but personally would not have moved him before the guideline 6 months. Then again my cousin moved her lad at 4 months and there was no hassle

Have you the space to mover her away from your bed so the noise isn't as close to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

just wondering when do people generally start moving their baby into their own room??
    my little girl is 18 weeks. sleeps from about ten till eight straight through. has been in her cot about two months. no prob with the transition as i used to put her in it for the odd nap or while id be getting dressed.
    but now im due to go back to work in four weeks... and with her slightest whimper waking me im wondering should i move her? or is it miles too soon??
    I don't think it's too soon at all.

I think once you have a good monitor then yes move her. My little boy is nearly the same Age & I moved him in a fortnight ago.

He's sleeping better (his dad's snoring isn't waking him now :) ) & he has a bigger cot now to stretch out in (the one in our room wasn't much bigger than a moses basket) so he has more comfort.

I'm a light sleeper & have the monitor up full volume, so the minute he makes a sound I can hear him.

In theory he's supposed to be sharing a room with his 2 year old sister so has company most nights. Unfortunately because we left it so late moving her to her own room, we still end up with her sneaking into the bed with us during the night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I moved my girl at 17 weeks! None of us could sleep when we were together! She is very happy and sleeps from 8 til 6.30. We have a good monitor and can hear any commotion going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We moved out little one at 12 weeks.... she'd been sleeping through since 10 weeks and like you heard every move she made while she slept through unaware of keeping us awake! Even having to sneak into bed with the fear of waking her, not able to turn on lights etc, was a bit of a pain (obviously not a major one in the grand scheme of things but anyway!).

We have an Angelcare monitor and kept that on - without that maybe I wouldn't have moved her but that gave me a bit of reassurance that all was ok in the room. 18 months on we still use the monitor every night even though we live in a tiny house and probably don't need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moved our baby to her own room at around 4 weeks... We couldn't sleep ourselves with her in the room. Babies are noisy little sleepers with the grunting, burping, farting, snuffling, and flapping around all night!

we used an angelcare monitor, the one with the motion sensor pad. Good peace of mind with that, and she was just next door afterall.

Put a chair or bed in their room as well though, so you can sit down there for nighttime feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks for all your replies :) every god damned book i read gives a different answer so its reassuring to know im not being a "bad mother" by moving her already.
    she's an awful moocher and even now we are sitting downstairs listening to her scrape off her blanket fart and whine!!!
    it will be nice to get SOME personal space back too.. i won't deny it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

We moved our baby to her own room after about 9 weeks - basically when she grew out of the moses basket. Our reasoning was that we'd have to make the adjustment from the moses basket to the cot in our room and then from the cot in our room to the cot in her own room - why not just cut out the middle man. We had been changing her and spending time in her own room anyway to get her familiar with it. We also use a monitor. Best decision we ever made as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Whenever you are ready is the answer.
    I moved my 1st at 12 months due to a house move and my 2nd at 12 months due to me sleeping better with her there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Mine went into her own room at 8 weeks as had been sleeping from 11 to 7. But i wasnt. now 17 weeks and sleeps from 7.45 to 8.00 the next morning. As she was so young i got a movement baby monitor that goes under her matress and if there is no movement an alarm goes off (never has) which i would hear through my sound and video monitor. The monitor gave me such peace of mind. Alot of people are against moving them so young but we need our sleep too and our lil one is sleeping so much better now and so am i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can adjust the sensitivity on the monitor if you still want that to work when they move around the cot. Use a penny to twist the green dial on the back. I can't remember which way is more sensitive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement