Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job perks

• 18-08-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

While the pay in my job aint the worst it still lacks perks and extras.....what perks do my fellow boardsies get from their job and how did they come to get them>>?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I get to spend the German pension reserve, because we live in a banana republic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Free donuts @ Dunkin' Donuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Teachers and politicians are the only ones who get real perks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

free chinese food.. (only during working hours)..

be a better perk if i had a faster metabolism tbh

free chinese food.. (only during working hours)..

be a better perk if i had a faster metabolism tbh

Can I have some, I'm marvin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

Teachers and politicians are the only ones who get real perks!

What has society got against teachers!!

Only perk in my job is free pick n mix...could be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

My boss has fantastic tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

2 stroke wrote: »
    My boss has fantastic tits.

But are they perky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

bleepp wrote: »
    What has society got against teachers!!

Only perk in my job is free pick n mix...could be worse

Nothing against it... 2 months off is a pretty good perk! Oil workers get more but they're away from their families for half the year!

But are they perky?

What flavour tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I got to travel around the world as an IT Consultant. But it was only a perk once..sure you travel to lots of places but it was only once that I took a few extra days to see the place I went.

In my current job I got to go to a dine in cinema all paid for to see Dark Knight Rises a day before it was released to the general public.

For the most part though. No real perks. Started working in 2007 so the recession insured everything was done on the cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

While the pay in my job aint the worst it still lacks perks and extras.....what perks do my fellow boardsies get from their job and how did they come to get them>>?

My pay ain't bad. €188 per week.

Perk is I don't have to WORK. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Worked in bars and hotels since a young fella.

Free bowls of soup and the odd free beve as a drone.

Free meals when I grew up and became a manager. Cheap rooms, too. Across the chain.

Totally not worth it though. If I never set foot in another hotel again, I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

policarp wrote: »

But you have great hours! great work-life balance:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Not too bad when I'm on long haul travel which is most of the time. Transport, all meals, accommodation, business flights and the daily rate is double what I make at home. It gets lonely though.

I'm a contractor which is why the rate and expenses are good. It means however I miss out on health, pension, commuter-ticket, bike scheme, bonus.

No complaints though.

policarp wrote: »

Same here. But I call standing in the dole once a month work.
    Plus having to do it in the post office once a week is far too much for only 188.

Same here. But I call standing in the dole once a month work.
    Plus having to do it in the post office once a week is far too much for only 188.

Its a weekend evening, so I hope you are taking the michael? Plus, if you receive 188 shilling a week, it means that your are on JB rather than JA. So you have paid your PRSI for over two years?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Its a weekend evening, so I hope you are taking the michael? Plus, if you receive 188 shilling a week, it means that your are on JB rather than JA. So you have paid your PRSI for over two years?

Nope, I'm on JSA and get the 188 a week.

Worked in bars and hotels since a young fella.

Free bowls of soup and the odd free beve as a drone.

Free meals when I grew up and became a manager. Cheap rooms, too. Across the chain.

Totally not worth it though. If I never set foot in another hotel again, I would be happy.

High five from me here. Horrible, horrible profession. I was headed for a head of department position and I walked away from it and never looked back. Even if you were able to stick with it as a career, it would turn you into a miserable person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

bleepp wrote: »
    But you have great hours! great work-life balance:D

Try it Bleepp.
    Then say great work-life balance.
    First 2 months great.
    Then Not So Great. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

High five from me here. Horrible, horrible profession. I was headed for a head of department position and I walked away from it and never looked back. Even if you were able to stick with it as a career, it would turn you into a miserable person.
    I work in the hospitality industry, but on the bar/club side.

Pros:
    Free food and in my work place. I also have a bar tab if and when needed no limit, just don't be stupid with it.
    Cheap booze or food in our group.
    Know many of the city bar/club managers, so free entry and free/cheap drink.
    Get invites to parties, vip passes, free personal stock, corporate box invites to All Black games or concerts sometimes (need more of those :) )

Cons:
    Unsociable hours.

Rabies wrote: »
    I work in the hospitality industry, but on the bar/club side.

Pros:
    Free food and in my work place. I also have a bar tab if and when needed no limit, just don't be stupid with it.
    Cheap booze or food in our group.
    Know many of the city bar/club managers, so free entry and free/cheap drink.
    Get invites to parties, vip passes, free personal stock, corporate box invites to All Black games or concerts sometimes (need more of those :) )

Cons:
    Unsociable hours.

Hotels are horrendous. It was great fun sometimes, but I wouldn't do it again. One of the highlights was playing soldier of fortune 2 on lan on the reception computers in a 4 star place. Good times.

I was 22 and a Duty Manager. When the recession hit, I was the one whom had to give "excess staff" the heave ho.

The hotel in question had the Head Office lads coming in at least twice a week for "signed off lunches." Some for "signed off beer meetings." And even some signed off "stays with room service."

Some c*nts, man. I spoke me mind, after, and was let go myself. Which was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

I only told three people they were let go, but I cried after it. Especially when it was so unnecessary. Never again.

I was 22 and a Duty Manager. When the recession hit, I was the one whom had to give "excess staff" the heave ho.

The hotel in question had the Head Office lads coming in at least twice a week for "signed off lunches." Some for "signed off beer meetings." And even some signed off "stays with room service."

Some c*nts, man. I spoke me mind, after, and was let go myself. Which was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

I only told three people they were let go, but I cried after it. Especially when it was so unnecessary. Never again.

From my experience management in every hotel treat their staff like dirt. The two main places I worked in were a joke.

I feel for you on the staff thing, I had the opposite problem. Porters would never stay, I had to train in two new porters every month.

The worst problem I had experienced was smoke detectors in smoking rooms, because it was a European hotel chain. Cue fire alarms going off a half dozen times a night, between midnight & 6am, with the legal requirement of the hotel being evacuated each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I get to go on holidays whenever I want.

From my experience management in every hotel treat their staff like dirt. The two main places I worked in were a joke.

I feel for you on the staff thing, I had the opposite problem. Porters would never stay, I had to train in two new porters every month.

The worst problem I had experienced was smoke detectors in smoking rooms, because it was a European hotel chain. Cue fire alarms going off a half dozen times a night, between midnight & 6am, with the legal requirement of the hotel being evacuated each time.

I worked in a 4 star hotel with a five star building connected to it(that should give away where and what group I worked for:) )

The night staff there were sound as a pound. Leave them to it and the lobby would be sparkling, breakfast rooms set up and room service delivered. Now, they would be rubber by the time you came in at 6.30 am. But the job would have been done. Especially around Cabaret season, when they would have the porter hut stocked up with cheap ass half bottles of red and white.

Sound lads and completely untouchable as they were there since the 70s. Stone wall contracts. It was the relative newcomers(less than five years) that took the pain.

Oh, the stories I could tell about that place. There is a chapter in a "Haunted Ireland Book" claiming that one of the rooms is haunted. Funny stuff. It was only rented out at the weekend to the drunkest of drunks. A kip of a room with a continual bathroom tap running.

I worked in a 4 star hotel with a five star building connected to it(that should give away where and what group I worked for:) )

The night staff there were sound as a pound. Leave them to it and the lobby would be sparkling, breakfast rooms set up and room service delivered. Now, they would be rubber by the time you came in at 6.30 am. But the job would have been done. Especially around Cabaret season, when they would have the porter hut stocked up with cheap ass half bottles of red and white.

Sound lads and completely untouchable as they were there since the 70s. Stone wall contracts. It was the relative newcomers(less than five years) that took the pain.

Ha. I'll be honest working on the night team was the toughest job I've ever had. No chance for a life, friends or a relationship out of work, but there were snippets of fun.

We took the piss, but we got what was asked of us done, and a hell of a lot more that wasn't.

I just couldn't continue working for the group I was with. I even tried to bypass the general manager & communicate with head office about some of the nonsense that was going on and no one gave a crap about the guests.

Once occupancy was high, that's all that mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

thunderdog wrote: »
    almost lost my virginity in that box....almost
    That would be a fairly large box to lose your virginity in, aye!

Once occupancy was high, that's all that mattered.

Aint that the truth. Its pity, as it will seriously affect tourism. No repeat custom.

During the boom, we treated tourists as cash cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

work in a busy bar,have been there over a year so have seen a good few other bar staff come and go,so a perk would be having numerous places around dublin city centre to go for lock in's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

stock options,
    pension payments,
    cheaper car insurance,
    no bank fees
    $2000/yr towards 'wellness', meaning gym membership, sports programs, clothes, anything that can be attributed to making me 'well',

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No perks at all. Just a wage in exchange for hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Same as that, no perks but it's a full time job and work is hard to get these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Because I'm salaried I get to work as many hours as I want over the standard 40, I can even come in and work on weekends too if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I take requests from higher management and order people to do them. Nothing like making people do things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Free meals, at 8,11,2,5,9, working on our farm for the summer, only problem is the lack in money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Beer in the canteen fridge, no lie

Longnecks of Bud, Heineken, Bulmers, all the main brands

Staying late? Have a beer at your desk.
    Thursday evening and ye're heading out with the staff, have 2-3. Everyone did it

Common in many German companies

New HR manager put an end to it, booooooooooooo

Unlimited minerals though, I'd often be taking a few cans of lucozade home
    Stopped with the waistline expanded though, that stuff is liquid sugar

Shield wrote: »
    Free donuts @ Dunkin' Donuts!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Same as that, no perks but it's a full time job and work is hard to get these days.
    pragmatic1 wrote: »

This ^ count myself lucky to be employed and permanent. Slightly above average wage for my position, Plus all the free 'posh' coffee I can drink and one of the ladies hand bakes a cake for you to share out on your birthday which is a lovely touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

My old company paid for my apartment when I was overseas,threw in a cleaner 5 days a week.
    Philipino girl who was sound and good fun,she used to iron my shirts,organise my clothes,shop for clothes for me when I asked her and leave cooked meals for me before she left each day,I have always been overly tidy so the place was never untidy and i felt guilty if she had to tidy up after me.I told her not to worry just watch tv,I was only 26 at the time ohh the joys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Beer in the canteen fridge, no lie

Longnecks of Bud, Heineken, Bulmers, all the main brands

Staying late? Have a beer at your desk.
    Thursday evening and ye're heading out with the staff, have 2-3. Everyone did it

Common in many German companies

New HR manager put an end to it, booooooooooooo

Unlimited minerals though, I'd often be taking a few cans of lucozade home
    Stopped with the waistline expanded though, that stuff is liquid sugar

I feel your pain man...all coffee, water, apple juice and soft drinks now. Have to say that the Germans do like their coffee so the company coffee machines are really decent.

I travel a lot in my job around Frankfurt so my place pays for a monthly travel ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Free Tea.
    Subsidized Meals.
    Supervisor is out every Friday in another office so that's my casual, casual Friday.

Finished this internship in 3 weeks and can safely say only thing I'll miss is the free tea and being to get a cup whenever I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

VHI and gym. that's it. We're supposed to get college paid for but in reality they limit it so much and make you jump through so many hoops that it's next to impossible to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I work for a semi state body which is awash with cash, still making tens of millions in profit even in this recession. No perks, terrible hours (80 hours over 9 days sometimes) and a terrible salary with no allowances (despite the face we work shift, incl. nights and 4am/5am starts). Zero work life balance, I work most weekends and even my holidays are rostered, so it's impossible to take a day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Before my company went into financial trouble, I had:
    • €850 work life balance scheme (college, gym, whatever)
    • Free breakfast
    • Free snacks, tea/coffee, minerals
    • 3 course meal prepared by a gourmet chef (sometimes including many exotic meats; ostrich, kangaroo, kobe beef) for 10c
    • Health care
    • Free gym
    • Travel pass

I can't name or give clues to what this company was, but strangely enough, the above wasn't the actual reason why it got into financial trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Elessar wrote: »
    Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I work for a semi state body which is awash with cash, still making tens of millions in profit even in this recession. No perks, terrible hours (80 hours over 9 days sometimes) and a terrible salary with no allowances (despite the face we work shift, incl. nights and 4am/5am starts). Zero work life balance, I work most weekends and even my holidays are rostered, so it's impossible to take a day off.

Sounds like the ESB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the ESB?

Worse. The DAA. At least in ESB I might have a decent salary for the hours and type of work involved!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Almost 6 weeks hols, pension, skills training, free coffee/tea, VHI healthcare and eye care. I also have flexitime which means I can feck off (almost) whenever I want once I do my 39 hours for the week. Fridays are a joy.

I know there are more but can't think of them (or use them tbh). We used to have allowances for clothing but lost that.

Pretty lucky now that I read it.

Non-direct perk (which is critically important to me) is that it's a 10 min drive to work in the mornings. Commuting hours every day does not appeal to me at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Old company I worked for, VHI, pension and up to 15k a year for "personal developlment", that could have been for anything, a lot of people used it for education but I used to use it to pay for holidays and stuff to historic sites. There was a highly subsidised canteen, I'm talking 1c for each item at breakfast, €1 for a massive lunch, free tea/coffee/minerals, free salad bar. There was a great sports and scoial club as well, regular nights out with buses laid on and free drink all night.

In my job I was the only person in Ireland doing it and my manager was based in the US, she was a VP over a massive department and didn't care what I did, I worked whatever hours I wanted, worked from home whenever I wanted, rarely had to produce anything, I also got a new system every 3 months and I got to spec it out myself, I also got to keep the old system :)

Finally, senior managers got car allowances and leased top of the range cars, once the lease was up they had the option to buy the car for whatever was left on the HP agreement (never more than 5 grand) or allow another member of staff to buy it, there was a waiting list for people to get the cars, people were getting 3 year old top of the range BMWs, Lexus or Audis for 5 grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I get a season pass for Perisher so I can go snowboarding to my hearts content on my breaks and days off. Pretty awesome perk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement