Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job perks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Clareman wrote: »
    Old company I worked for, VHI, pension and up to 15k a year for "personal developlment", that could have been for anything, a lot of people used it for education but I used to use it to pay for holidays and stuff to historic sites. There was a highly subsidised canteen, I'm talking 1c for each item at breakfast, €1 for a massive lunch, free tea/coffee/minerals, free salad bar. There was a great sports and scoial club as well, regular nights out with buses laid on and free drink all night.

In my job I was the only person in Ireland doing it and my manager was based in the US, she was a VP over a massive department and didn't care what I did, I worked whatever hours I wanted, worked from home whenever I wanted, rarely had to produce anything, I also got a new system every 3 months and I got to spec it out myself, I also got to keep the old system :)

Finally, senior managers got car allowances and leased top of the range cars, once the lease was up they had the option to buy the car for whatever was left on the HP agreement (never more than 5 grand) or allow another member of staff to buy it, there was a waiting list for people to get the cars, people were getting 3 year old top of the range BMWs, Lexus or Audis for 5 grand.

I have to ask - what company was this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭markpb

I did a J1 in Citywalk outside Universal Studios in LA. Great place to work, decent wages, free food (officially when on lunch and unofficially from the cafe managers), unlimited tickets for me for the park, some free park tickets for friends, head of the line passes (unofficially), free advance film screenings in the studios, massively discounted public transport tickets, discounts at all the Citywalk shops, options to work at the premiers and a load more. Not sure why I came home really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I get a 5% discount on servers.
    It's a shame they cost €20,000 to several million.

I'm also the creator/admin for our vacation request & tracking tool. So...I can accidentally give myself more vacation days.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I tell them what hours I want to work

I can cancel shifts the day before

I have 1 "no-show" a month where I can just not turn up if I have something I need to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A good few perks, but the best is the salary I could live without the rest tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Elessar wrote: »
    I have to ask - what company was this??

A financial services company in Shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If I'm good, my masters let me use the actual toilet instead of the bucket.

Well, that's a bit of a lie. It's more like a cup than it is a bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

IrishAm wrote: »
    I was 22 and a Duty Manager. When the recession hit, I was the one whom had to give "excess staff" the heave ho.

The hotel in question had the Head Office lads coming in at least twice a week for "signed off lunches." Some for "signed off beer meetings." And even some signed off "stays with room service."

Some c*nts, man. I spoke me mind, after, and was let go myself. Which was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

I only told three people they were let go, but I cried after it. Especially when it was so unnecessary. Never again.

Hated working in a hotel. Would be called in for a 10 hour shift and be forgotten about by the bar supervisor, who actually effed off home without ending my shift 6 hours before. He was a bully too. Hospitality industry has some of the most narky pricks I've ever come across. I found the managers to be the only sound ones.

Around Xmas a couple of years ago too, the main pipes to the toilets froze and I was forced to stand in a 3 foot wide space behind the actual cubicles fetching buckets upon buckets of water for the flushing tanks behind the walls, having to hear f***ers pissing and ****ting all day and night. This went on for a solid three days. Humiliating. 12 hour shifts of ****ing standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Flexi time is about the only one i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Katgurl wrote: »
    Not too bad when I'm on long haul travel which is most of the time. Transport, all meals, accommodation, business flights and the daily rate is double what I make at home. It gets lonely though.

I'm a contractor which is why the rate and expenses are good. It means however I miss out on health, pension, commuter-ticket, bike scheme, bonus.

No complaints though.

Are you a prostitute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Loads more then most, but I would rather more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Before my company went into financial trouble, I had:
    • €850 work life balance scheme (college, gym, whatever)
    • Free breakfast
    • Free snacks, tea/coffee, minerals
    • 3 course meal prepared by a gourmet chef (sometimes including many exotic meats; ostrich, kangaroo, kobe beef) for 10c
    • Health care
    • Free gym
    • Travel pass

I can't name or give clues to what this company was, but strangely enough, the above wasn't the actual reason why it got into financial trouble

Was it a certain online poker site?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

10% of salary into pension.
    Company pays for my bus/rail and luas pass.
    27 days hols.
    Flexi time.
    €300 a month towards rent or mortgage.
    €100 a month towards lunch.
    VHI for the whole family.
    Annual bonus of between 10 and 20%
    The use of a company apartment any weekends I feel like going to London for a break.
    €750 towards gym or club membership a year.
    Guaranteed salary increase of at least double inflation every year. Its never been less than 4 times inflation though.

I'm there a few years and think i'm going to leave this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

27 days hols.
    Flexi time.
    The use of a company apartment any weekends I feel like going to London for a break.
    Guaranteed salary increase of at least double inflation every year. Its never been less than 4 times inflation though.

Sounds good, what do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dancor wrote: »
    Was it a certain online poker site?

The answer is not 'no'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Haven't paid for a phone call in about 10 years. Thats about it really but I'm sure it adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

27 days hols.
    Flexi time.

You're crazy. Where do you work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Getting to go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The answer is not 'no'

It wouldn't be an Irish themed on by any chance?
    Applying for a graduate job there when I finish uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Varied wrote: »
    Are you a prostitute?

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

policarp wrote: »
    My pay ain't bad. €188 per week.

Perk is I don't have to WORK. . .

Hope you're joking ................!

Eden3 wrote: »
    Hope you're joking ................!

Why? Not having to work is about the only good thing about being on the dole.
    That and free prams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

Free Milk. Pity I despise the stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Why? Not having to work is about the only good thing about being on the dole.
    That and free prams.

How many prams do you need at one time....? And how will you support all those kids on €188 per week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I've usually worked in restaurants either in food prep or waitressing and you'd get free meals, but that was it - last job I had, cheffing, you could have a free meal at lunch and one drink from the fridge and one coffee or whatever per day. Rather measly really with the 15 minute break we got for lunch in an 8 hour shift on our feet. I worked in retail as well, in a small family run shop that did really well with tourists. We got 20% staff discount and that was it.

I'm in an internship now. It's unpaid but they give us a monthly allowance for travel expenses, which comes to nearly double what I actually pay - and i have the longest/most expensive commute, from Maynooth into the city, so it's even sweeter for the other two interns (one is within walking distance from the office).
    Other than that there's no official perks really, other than that my bosses are fantastic to work for - really understanding about needing time off, they buy us lunch every so often just for the craic and put on a big spread for us from swanky cafe around the corner, there's always plenty of tea and milk and nibbles etc in, they don't watch the clock regarding when we get in or how long of a lunch we take or how often we go to the shop but they do make sure that we interns at least are booted out the door at half 5 - no overtime allowed. The bosses are very encouraging and praise us loads for our work.
    May not sound like much to the rest of ye with your work life balance schemes but I appreciate it all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Free Nct test every year...also my hours are pretty fantastic,I work part time- long weekend every weekend:)

Cons: working with the public who feel they have a right to abuse you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Hotels as well;

PRO's
    - 6 weeks holidays per year.
    The first two years i worked there i didn't take all my holidays so every year since i have 3 weeks to take from the previous year. I've have 4 weeks off this year and i still have 5 weeks to take, but i wont use them all before the end of the year.
    - As much food as i can eat, fillet steak etc (my waistline doesn't consider this a perk).
    - I can drink during work if i like, but i wouldn't 99.9% of the time.
    - I can sit and chat to people for hours on end because being social is a requirement of the job.
    - Any-time we need to discus something, its at the back door having a smoke, so although i never take official breaks, i could spend 1hr+ per shift at the back door.
    - The moneys good and only started going up in big steps since the recession.

CONS,
    - 70 hour weeks isn't unusual. But i try to stick to a 55 hour week.
    - I work two 14 hour shifts per week at this time of year, i'd do a 16hr shift once or twice a month.
    - Sacking people.
    - Having to be a massive cu*t to some people.

Most days i love my job, but the hours can be brutal. If i could do my job 9-5 i would never leave it and i'd even take a massive pay cut to facilitate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Not getting fired or let go, thats a nice perk

Not getting fired or let go, thats a nice perk

Ahh, the Irish Civil Service.

Ahh, the Irish Civil Service.

Yeah, no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Dominos! Pro: 50 cent cans, €1 personal pizza every shift, 50% discount on most items.

Con: Dealing with scummy, angry, drunk, hungry members of the public. Oh and basically no break if you want to get home at a decent time after it's closed., Oh and also I'm sick to death of pizza, so maybe the pro ain't so good after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I work in a hotel bar. Not too many perks really. Free tea/coffee. Free food when you're working. The main one would be the use of the leisure centre/gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The company I work for has a flexible benefits plan but I get Free Health Insurance straight away (Basic cover only, would need to pay excess on better plans). Any allowances I have left I can use for anything such as extra holidays, sabbatical, other insurances, AVC's towards my pension etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Cool wrote: »

Things like this (and this thread) make me wonder why I put up with so much sh*te in my job. Although I've heard it's very hard to get into Google - months worth of gruelling interviews and you need to have degrees and postgraduates coming out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm finishing up in my current job in 7 days. Current perks include:

- Browsing the internet
    - Looking out of the window
    - Weather permitting, longer than necessary trips to the coffee shops.

Cruising to the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I get my soul destroyed every day for free. I guess you could count that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Senna wrote: »
    Hotels as well;

PRO's
    - 6 weeks holidays per year.
    The first two years i worked there i didn't take all my holidays so every year since i have 3 weeks to take from the previous year. I've have 4 weeks off this year and i still have 5 weeks to take, but i wont use them all before the end of the year.
    - As much food as i can eat, fillet steak etc (my waistline doesn't consider this a perk).
    - I can drink during work if i like, but i wouldn't 99.9% of the time.
    - I can sit and chat to people for hours on end because being social is a requirement of the job.
    - Any-time we need to discus something, its at the back door having a smoke, so although i never take official breaks, i could spend 1hr+ per shift at the back door.
    - The moneys good and only started going up in big steps since the recession.

CONS,
    - 70 hour weeks isn't unusual. But i try to stick to a 55 hour week.
    - I work two 14 hour shifts per week at this time of year, i'd do a 16hr shift once or twice a month.
    - Sacking people.
    - Having to be a massive cu*t to some people.

Most days i love my job, but the hours can be brutal. If i could do my job 9-5 i would never leave it and i'd even take a massive pay cut to facilitate it.

Same as you, but I'm restaurant based, we're in fashion at the mo, so loads of invitations to restaurants, music gigs, festivals etc coming our way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Free tea/coffee
    iphone and all bills paid for
    get to do some fantastic trips as part of my job more of a work come holiday
    Rent allowance each month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

When times were good in the manufacturing industry I used to work for I got my driving lessons paid for, company car - which I kept - lived in a hotel for 6 months with daily expenses and then was found a house and got 6 month's rent paid for as well. The boss even told me to get the heating oil on the company (I didn't). Then in 2009 they upped to China. Those days - we shall never see their like again.:(

On the plus side I'm now at college studying fine art which is something I wanted to do all my life.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I work for an insurance company, so I get pretty sweet discounts on all kinds of insurance; car, health etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The nicest one I had and the one I miss most was being able to fly anywhere in the world for 10%. Was great being able to get return flights to asia for less than €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Get 80% of my yearly gym membership paid for.

That's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Trips to various trade shows around Europe.
    Freebie Golf days were the norm.
    Private boxes in Croker.

Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Free blinged up mobile and paid mobile contract
    Excellent mileage rate for travel
    Good salary
    Boss and rest of team are based in Dublin while I'm in Athlone so can basically p'ss about without the risk of someone looking over my shoulder

Sh'te holidays though (20)

• Advertisement

Free cups of tea that I can drink while I work.

Sounds like a small thing but it's what makes my day bearable.

Free blinged up mobile and paid mobile contract
    Excellent mileage rate for travel
    Good salary
    Boss and rest of team are based in Dublin while I'm in Athlone so can basically p'ss about without the risk of someone looking over my shoulder

Sh'te holidays though (20)

Poor you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Poor you :rolleyes:

Is that not bad??!! Opps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Free tea and coffee, subsidised canteen, I'm a contrctor so I can give myself expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Self-employed so the only perk I get is having a great boss! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement