Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Street work

• 18-08-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have been trying to get into street photography recently and would appreciate some C&C for my efforts.

Any opinions are welcome (especially honest ones)

F1FC6FB9A9524AC78C7FB9CE14FA811D-0000341935-0002965826-00800L-7464D1A4F9B44764BF23A0C0BF9B7FCF.jpg

F48A101F60E44AEA83F30703C27EDA7B-0000341935-0002972238-00800L-319F281FCEF84BDD84EFD164B51C5835.jpg

8E90821D805B455A8FFFD42DF710C660-0000341935-0002972236-00800L-F4A7F5C893584F40BC8BB80B594DE52C.jpg

C7BFCCD23C3D4298B1336A4281B71EE1-0000341935-0002972235-00800L-DB129154CD4749328C994D0CB16020E0.jpg

014B024E2B3B46FABBD7DFAF5B632BB9-0000341935-0002974964-00800L-25E770A26E1C4832A37B7D1E605E5DF9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You need to get more confident. All these shots seem like you tried to take them as quickly as possible. You spotted something/someone you wanted to shoot but were afraid you'd be seen taking it.
    Props to you for not being one of those photographers that tries to shoot street photos with a 300mm lens on the sly. It's about getting up close and personal.

1) It looks like you tried to show it was London and pretended you were taking a pic of something else to get the person in the frame

2) It's a snap of somebody walking by, possible you were walking too and trying to capture it. The truck and the lady in the background are distracting and his feet are cut off mid stride. I don't know what I'm looking at.

3) It's a street scene with nothing really going on apart form the comical guy with the glasses on the right who seems to have strayed into the frame.

4) It's soft where it matters and your attention goes beyond the guysin the foreground.

5) This one works. You saw something and executed it well. It's a bit timeless apart from the phone and the contrast of the smart phone and the iconic london phonebox works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

pete4130 wrote: »
    You need to get more confident. All these shots seem like you tried to take them as quickly as possible. You spotted something/someone you wanted to shoot but were afraid you'd be seen taking it.
    Props to you for not being one of those photographers that tries to shoot street photos with a 300mm lens on the sly. It's about getting up close and personal.

1) It looks like you tried to show it was London and pretended you were taking a pic of something else to get the person in the frame

2) It's a snap of somebody walking by, possible you were walking too and trying to capture it. The truck and the lady in the background are distracting and his feet are cut off mid stride. I don't know what I'm looking at.

3) It's a street scene with nothing really going on apart form the comical guy with the glasses on the right who seems to have strayed into the frame.

4) It's soft where it matters and your attention goes beyond the guysin the foreground.

5) This one works. You saw something and executed it well. It's a bit timeless apart from the phone and the contrast of the smart phone and the iconic london phonebox works well.

Thanks Pete. You're right about me being a bit nervous of taking the photos some were a little rushed I suppose.
    In number one I was trying to make include the underground sign to contrast how down trodden she was, but I was a bit sneaky and was pretending not to take the picture of her.

3) I included the guy because his glasses were interesting, maybe I should use a different crop so he isn't have cut off.

4) is soft but I saw the triangle of sunglasses and tried to get the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

With the likes of number 3, aproach and ask to take a quick snap. It usually works better. Street photography (for me) is about people. They are the street. the interaction, the interesting bits. Sometimes it is reallyhard to approach people. It's not my style to apprach people at all. Learn to become quick or invisible to get the shot right away or be able to stand and wait for it.

If you wait long enough people become bored with you and forget your there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I think you actually had more potential in that 1st shot by getting rid of the sign and distracting sky and cropping right down to the bus beyond - the contrast of the Armani Jeans and the woman - both separated permanently by the bars.

As Pete says, nothing in that 2nd shot other than a randomer snapped on a street.

The 3rd shot was definitely your man on the right with the glasses - always worth catching their eye, making a quick gesture with your camera to ask can you take his shot - and snapping in one quick move. Then smile and walk away.

I can see what you were trying in number 4 but I find the cagey looking man in the striped polo shirt a bit more amusing though he is oof.

Again good effort in No. 5 with the new and old - but again I find the hand gesture on the right more interesting. Would love to see the rest of him and see does he add to the scene with his finger pointing.

10 out of 10 for trying and for getting in close. Your B&W conversions are quite nice too although don't forget colour - that last shot for example could work in colour too with the bright red phone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Would have liked to keep him in frame but the blown highlights above him were too distracting so he had to go, however the finger was too interesting to cut.

I have some colour photos will post when I get a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Y'know, I actually think the fourth photo stands out more than the others. There's a nice geometric quality about the three guys in shades. And I like the expressions on the faces of the the two gents in the foreground.

It's spoiled by the white guy in the left-centre (which is typical - the white man spoils everything).

But I've looked at this thread three or four times now and it's that photo that catches my eye every time.

Street photography is deceptively difficult though. There's a very fine line between the unremarkable-but-brilliant, and the simply unremarkable.

Advertisement