Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parents of suspended Leaving Cert pupils to take legal action

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Getting suspended during your last week at school,99% of normal kids couldn't give a sh1te.The parents who are suing the school are the real morons here.

Sure the lads broke the rules & deserved some sort of punishment but the parents are overreacting completely.

We had a couple of incidents at my school that involved an entire leaving cert year being hauled up before the principal,everybody kept schtum & nothing happened-no parents involved and we all laughed it off plus those who were expected to do well in their exams did so the incidents had no effect on students.
    The thinking of a 16/17 yr old about to finish school is: "I'm outta here in a week or so,what can they do to me if I act the bollix".

If I was one of the kids whose parents were suing,I'd be mortified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ixoy wrote: »
    I do find it a little odd that 113 of 120 pupils would be caught up in something like this. I'd be surprised if more than a few weren't coerced into it.

I'm guessing that some were there due to (light/heavy?) pressure of others?
    Maybe some were very willing participants?

Maybe we might find out that some maybe tried to leave - however that is just possible speculative guessing on my part with nothing to back it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Biggins wrote: »
    YOU have stated/opinionated
    "The only way they could hold it for those that could "possibly attend as soon as possible" would be if they attempted to hold a meeting for all of them."
    I have not - and you have NOT shown that I have stated it.

I have NOT stated a meeting was held for ALL of them.
    I have not stated "that the parents had the option to attend but didn't."

I'm not sure what you're getting at there. What did you mean when you said "for some, those that could possibly attend as soon as possible"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Anyone thinking of scent of a woman?

Zab wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're getting at there. What did you mean when you said "for some, those that could possibly attend as soon as possible"?

Look, in all fairness, lets move on.
    Both of us is silly to continue down on this pointless exercise.

I would politely suggest a reading of previous posts to my own (but not just my own), to get where my words actually fit in and in relation to exactly what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Look, in all fairness, lets move on.
    Both of us is silly to continue down on this pointless exercise.

I would politely suggest a reading of previous posts to my own (but not just my own), to get where my words actually fit in and in relation to exactly what.

Okay, that's fine. I suggest you do the same as I believe your interpretation is incorrect, just as mine was with your other quote.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm guessing that some were there due to (light/heavy?) pressure of others?
    Maybe some were very willing participants?
    Perhaps it's just taking it from my own perspective - I'd have never willingly participated in something like that nor my friends. Maybe it's different these days and the current generation have a different attitude. Quite likely of course it's the values their parents have (or have not) taught them.

ixoy wrote: »
    Perhaps it's just taking it from my own perspective - I'd have never willingly participated in something like that nor my friends. Maybe it's different these days and the current generation have a different attitude. Quite likely of course it's the values their parents have (or have not) taught them.

My own kids are never going to obey my rules (I wish!) when I'm not around, but I hope they will with proper teaching, stop and think more often than not "Should I be doing this or be here?"

Some of those students involved clearly didn't ask that question - or if they did, chose to ignore what was possibly a right answer and got themselves out of the place that became the trouble spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Our children’s reputations have been damaged. There was a total lack of consideration for their situation

Are they fúcking serious? ''lack of consideration for their situation?'' what situation? they can afford to go to a fee paying school when most people are broke? If the only thing they have to worry about is ''their reputation'' for being suspended for 2 days for acting the tit then they're doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it was just kids being kids, the schools reaction was over the top, and the pearents reactions are over the top.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

it was just kids being kids, the schools reaction was over the top, and the pearents reactions are over the top.

"Kids" to me implies the image of younger children.

The students doing their leaving were older.
    They should have had the kop to know you don't go locking doors in public buildings (instantly creating a fire hazard and an insurance nightmare), they should have known not to get up to the antics they were suspended for.

They were suspended for two days - they didn't get two years in jail for a single protest - I think they might not have got off light - but they sure didn't feel a full crack of a possible rule whip either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Many schools have a tradition like this. In my school we we're told at 2pm on our last day that it is our last day. We are then marched out class by class to the front gates so there can be no shenanigans. Even the teachers don't know when it will happen.

The local girls school always cover teachers cars in mayonese and lock other classes in to classrooms. Usually one or 2 are suspended for crossing the line or is something is broken.

Suspending a whole year is ridiculous and is hugely damaging for the school since their results will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boggermad

Many schools have a tradition like this. In my school we we're told at 2pm on our last day that it is our last day. We are then marched out class by class to the front gates so there can be no shenanigans. Even the teachers don't know when it will happen.

The local girls school always cover teachers cars in mayonese and lock other classes in to classrooms. Usually one or 2 are suspended for crossing the line or is something is broken.

Suspending a whole year is ridiculous and is hugely damaging for the school since their results will drop.

Trapping anyone against their will is never funny and I don't think legal anyway. It could have very serious consequences (for simple example: what if a person can't get to their needed medication?).
    As for possibly damaging car paintwork, that don't need much defending either as to why punishments should be given for that as well.

A 'tradition' does not mean its right and/or allowed.

The school-heads I'm sure (they would be stupid not to) take into account the consequences of their own actions.
    By the way, even if some students had to take their exams elsewhere, I think (open to be wrong) they would still be recognised officially as pupils from an education establishment in which they were previously taught - so their marks would still be applied to the schools over-all records?

Trapping anyone against their will is never funny and I don't think legal anyway. It could have very serious consequences (for simple example: what if a person can't get to their needed medication?).
    As for possibly damaging car paintwork, that don't need much defending either as to why punishments should be given for that as well.

A 'tradition' does not mean its right and/or allowed.

The school-heads I'm sure (they would be stupid not to) take into account the consequences of their own actions.
    By the way, even if some students had to take their exams elsewhere, I think (open to be wrong) they would still be recognised officially as pupils from an education establishment in which they were previously taught - so their marks would still be applied to the schools over-all records?

Its right to punish one or two people but suspending a whole year is just ludicrous. It would be better to have them all on in-school suspension right until the end of June.

boggermad wrote: »

Three was expelled - lets be clear.
    The teenager in question is one of three who have been expelled.

Its right to punish one or two people but suspending a whole year is just ludicrous.

Why is it ludicrous?

Would it be right to just suspend some and let off others who did the very same or equally participated in the events?

How would that then be fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

In fairness people are reading way too much into this. Most 6th years do something similar in the last cuple of days of school. It is almost a right of passage at this stage. I am not saying i agree but ye are blowing it out of proportion.

I know in my school in the last few day 6th years would always get up to mad stuff. Nothing illegal of course but would still have a good time with people that they may never see again.

I would say fair play to them. They only had a day or two left of school. They took it upon themsleves to have a bit of a sing-along. That was almost the last time that these people would be together as a group. after that was exams (which i dont count becouse of pressure and that). Then they would all split up and travel the world and go to college ect. Never again to be all togther like that again

I know i havent seen alot of people i knew in school since school (left last year). I am glad that we done something sililar. Terachers were sound about it though.

...I would say fair play to them. They only had a day or two left of school.

I think they had longer than that actually if we are sticking with the actual facts?

• Advertisement

they played a prank thats all, a stupid one, but a prank. the schools reaction was over the top, the pearents reactions are over the top, thats the end of it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Didnt something nearly exactly similar to this happen last year? I remember it being discussed here.

they played a prank thats all, a stupid one, but a prank. the schools reaction was over the top, the pearents reactions are over the top, thats the end of it.

Who got 'pranked' ?

Who got 'pranked' ?
    look, they did what they did, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Who got 'pranked' ?

Exatly. No one. The sang abit and proberly did a bit of dancing with some music on. They had a good time. These students were proberly under alot of pressure. Isn't that a private school hence rich parents who proderly are putting alot of pressure on there kids. Thies was 40 odd mins where they let off a little steam. There is much worse things that they could have done

look, they did what they did, get over it.

The school suspended the bulk of them for two days - they got over it.
    It appears now some bitter parents can't.
    Blame them! Tell them to "get over it."
    There is much worse things that they could have done
    With three expelled - it might appear some did indeed do worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Assuming each call takes 5 min and there are 200 pupils that would take a lot of calling doubt txt message would suffice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know some will think it was over the top, but on the other hand, the students locked themselves into the room, which could have been a disaster for the school. I know I've gotten in trouble before as a teacher for stepping out into the hallway and leaving a class unattended for a few seconds (and by unattended, I mean standing on the exterior of the threshold, still able to see the students but not technically in the room). Insurance wise, if a student got hurt in the locked, unsupervised room, the school could have been in major trouble :/

Add to that the fact they were presumably ignoring teacher's warnings to stop what they were doing (I'm guessing the teachers weren't standing by letting it happen without trying to signal to them that there would be reprecussions for what was happening) and I have little sympathy for them tbh.

Tbh, the school I was in last year also told sixth years not to bother coming in for the last two days. It wasn't a "suspension" but the move was made cause we knew what they'd get up to on the last day and it was less hassle to just tell them to stay home.

To go back a few pages though, the rubber ducks prank? That is awesome. I'd love to have seen that. In a day where "pranks" tend to resort to defacement of property and near-assault, the ducks prank is original and doesn't hurt anyone, while providing a brilliant visual. Fair play to whoever thought of that. Made me laugh thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"Ruined reputations"?
    To be honest if it was me, anyone who didn't consider me an absolute hero after doing something like that wouldn't be someone whose opinion I would value anyway ;)

They'll be grand.

"Ruined reputations"?
    To be honest if it was me, anyone who didn't consider me an absolute hero after doing something like that wouldn't be someone whose opinion I would value anyway ;)

They'll be grand.

Yep.

They will sit their exams eventually.
    (In fact they are getting more study time?)

They will move on, party and see the world hopefully.

Some parents need to move on too and not just see a possible way to earn some money by suing a school.

The school suspended the bulk of them for two days - they got over it.
    it was over the top, for something so simple. 6th years having a bit of fun, that is all.
    It appears now some bitter parents can't.
    not my problem
    Blame them! Tell them to "get over it."
    why should i? you are the one making it out to be more then it was.
    With three expelled - it might appear some did indeed do worse?

some have got expelled for less.

• Advertisement

it was over the top, for something so simple. 6th years having a bit of fun, that is all.
    ...In your opinion (which is fair enough).
    The school disagrees - you will have to argue with them.
    They seem to be aware of possibly more conducive facts to justify their punishment retorting.
    not my problem
    Nor mine - but its still seems to be some parents problem. Guess what, their own child possibly helped create the situation!
    you are the one making it out to be more then it was.
    Really? have I exaggerated any of their actions? I must have missed those bits.
    some have got expelled for less.
    There was me thinking three got expelled!
    Either way, if they rose above the rest in punishment, there must be more justification as seen by the school.

I politely suggest you take your argument up with them.

Blay wrote: »
    They did bring it on themselves but jesus that was a bit harsh.

When I did my leaving 3 years ago, the week before we finished we bought about 2000 rubber ducks that the local Tesco was selling off and put them all over the school..the carpark..hallways..and the staff room(in the cereal boxes, cupboards etc.)..everywhere we could and the staff just laughed it off and took pictures.
    I think I heard about that!
    In one school the students bought 100 alarm clocks and had them going off one minute apart. They were in drawers and filing cabinets in every room in the school.

One school 100 of alarm clocks and had them going off one minute apart. They were in drawers and filing cabinets in every room in the school.

One student:
    ...And that apparently being charitable to the young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

one of my mates who is a poster here is a teacher there, i must ring him to get the low down on this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One school 100 of alarm clocks and had them going off one minute apart. They were in drawers and filing cabinets in every room in the school.
    My favourite is where you get three hens, number them 1,2 and 5. Release them into the school. Staff will go mad looking for hens 3,4. No-one hurt and a bit of fun.

My take on this is that the almost adults locked themselves(and others who didn't want to be there ) in a room. They broke rules, They were punished. I hope the judge throws this out and awards costs against these daft parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

"Kids" to me implies the image of younger children.

Teenagers are programmed to be risk takers and push boundaries.

It wasn't a violent or nasty prank either.

They got suspended for two days, fair enough. It's a story they'll talk about for ages. I got suspended twice in school for silly stuff. It's not like the US where they have a permanent record or it'll affect their college applications. It's bloody stupid of the parents to be suing. The kinds are probably a bit embarrassed by it all.

"Buuuttt Daaaddd. Please don't. "

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

I did my Leaving Cert this year and have absolutely no sympathy for these idiots. Don't dish it out if ya can't take it. And their parents are worse for trying to excuse their children's behaviour.
    Also, I hate how people will use instances like this to brand my entire generation as self entitled. As if every generation doesn't have its share of feckin' eejits. :pac:

My favourite is where you get three hens, number them 1,2 and 5. Release them into the school. Staff will go mad looking for hens 3,4. No-one hurt and a bit of fun.

My take on this is that the almost adults locked themselves(and others who didn't want to be there ) in a room. They broke rules, They were punished. I hope the judge throws this out and awards costs against these daft parents

Hens and laxative was done in a school near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Cienciano wrote: »
    Suspended for the last couple of days in 6th year is nothing, when I was in school most of the teachers just told us to study in the last few days. Plenty of people just took them off to study.

Our school ended a couple days early, too, but you could come those couple of days afterwards, and the teachers would teach you like the normal routine. We had the choice to finish up the school year, as we were entitled, and we were allowed come in and study in the empty rooms after the classes stopped being taught and the rest of the school had summer exams.
    And did your dad send your teacher a solicitors letter threatening to sue your teacher after she locked you lot in the room?
    That's the difference between this "privileged" lot and your lot. You took the piss and accepted your punishment.

We weren't punished. It was just a teacher joining us in having a bit of fun.

Speaking to the teachers at the debs, they were fine with small pranks, once it didn't involved violence, vandalism etc.

Advertisement