Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-finish Banisters / Hand rail

• 18-08-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a hand rail that needs to be re-finished. It was given a dark stain and a few coats of clear quite a few years ago. The clear has worn away in spots and the stain too, so its down near the original wood in a few spots.

Its it just a mater of standing back all the clear coats or do I just key them? Stain the whole rail, then more clear varnish? how many coats of stain?

Or is there something else I should be doing?

Also what varnish is good for a banisters / hand rails?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would sand all the way back and maybe try French polish. It's very time consuming but gives an amazing finish that will last for years. Done right will look exactly the same and still shine even after 20 years. Require lots of layers and lots of sanding after each layer with different grades

Advertisement