Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Cat

• 18-08-2012 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to benefit from the experience of others.
    Long story short but fairly typical I would reckon. Went on hols and while we arranged for cats to be fed one of them was missing (the youngest, about a year old) when we got back.
    Kids are distraught, we have walked the roads and put up posters etc but no sign. We live in a small town/village. Loads of wild cats around and on our property all the time.
    How far would a young cat roam? And how long would you wait before having to have the 'chat' with the kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Well, my one year old male just appeared in my garden after having disappeared since yesterday evening. It's unusual for him to roam very far, what about yours? Mine will mainly keep to the garden and sometimes leaves, but comes when called.

We walked the roads calling and calling from last night til this morning, was going to print up posters until he arrived!

He smelt of washing powder so we assume he was trapped in a garage/shed and only got out today. We had been planning on calling round to the neighbours and nearby houses to ask them to check their sheds and garages, I'd suggest you do the same, it's easy for a kitten getting to know it's territory to wander into or be frightened into a shed and then get locked in.

Is yours neutered/spayed??

I hope he/she turns up soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Well, my one year old male just appeared in my garden after having disappeared since yesterday evening. It's unusual for him to roam very far, what about yours? Mine will mainly keep to the garden and sometimes leaves, but comes when called.

We walked the roads calling and calling from last night til this morning, was going to print up posters until he arrived!

He smelt of washing powder so we assume he was trapped in a garage/shed and only got out today. We had been planning on calling round to the neighbours and nearby houses to ask them to check their sheds and garages, I'd suggest you do the same, it's easy for a kitten getting to know it's territory to wander into or be frightened into a shed and then get locked in.

Is yours neutered/spayed??

I hope he/she turns up soon :(

Yep, neutered. Hadn't got a tendency to stray at all when we were here.
    He didn't get on with the older cat (a she) though, constantly hissing and briefly scrapping.
    Will ask around about sheds, thanks for the suggestion and concern!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi, sorry to hear about missing puss. It might be worth having a look on Munster lost and found pet.com. He could be snuggled up on a neighbours bed or gone further afield in back of a van etc. Hope puss comes home safe, sound and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

was he wearing a collar? even if he was he could have lost it and may have been adopted by a neighbour?

Have you tried knocking on doors- sometimes people dont notice posters and dont think twice about feeding a "stray".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Got a text yesterday evening, he had wandered nearly a mile away across town. Polish couple took him in and saw posters. Cat HOME, peace restored in chez happyman!
    Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

That is absolutely brilliant, I'm delighted puss home safe and sound.

Advertisement