Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brady in 80's Transfer Question

• 18-08-2012 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an attempt by Graeme Souness to sign Liam Brady for Rangers in the late 80's but the move was turned down by Brady?

I heard of this ages ago but a quick Google search doesn't seem to return anything. Apparently this happened some time prior to the signing of Mo Johnston in 1989.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Whi are these "Rangers" of which you soeak? Myst've been before my time.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Does anyone know of an attempt by Graeme Souness to sign Liam Brady for Rangers in the late 80's but the move was turned down by Brady?

I heard of this ages ago but a quick Google search doesn't seem to return anything. Apparently this happened some time prior to the signing of Mo Johnston in 1989.
    There was rumours at the time but I have never seen anything substantial
    He did try to sign Ray Houghton though

Whi are these "Rangers" of which you soeak? Myst've been before my time.:pac:
    The same Rangers that have been about since 1872 just go on to the SFL website you can see the club history there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

That is interesting, I also remember hearing about him trying to sign Houghton. Not sure if it was around same time or not.

Just thinking about Brady, I wonder was it around the time he was finishing his career in Italy and looking for a move back to Britian.

That is interesting, I also remember hearing about him trying to sign Houghton. Not sure if it was around same time or not.

Just thinking about Brady, I wonder was it around the time he was finishing his career in Italy and looking for a move back to Britian.
    I know he went after Hougton not long after he took over so I imagine if he did try to sign Brady it would have been about the same time

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

I think the club formerly known as Rangers were linked with Mark Lawrenson as well at one point. Lawrenson's career was curtailed by injury.

Souness played with Brady at Sampdoria I think, Trevor Francis was there around that time as well I think. Souness signed Francis for the old Govan club at the tail end of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I know he went after Hougton not long after he took over so I imagine if he did try to sign Brady it would have been about the same time

Did he go for Giles and Dunphy while he was at it to complete the set!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the club formerly known as Rangers were linked with Mark Lawrenson as well at one point. Lawrenson's career was curtailed by injury.

He played a couple of games for Barnet at the end of his career and he was absolutely shocking.

You need to get over it Rangers still play in the famous colours with the same crest and you only need to look at the official SFL website to see the history your continuos snide remarks are very boring and childish
    My last word on it if you can't read what's in front of you and very easy to find then you have a problem.

Once again you have detailed a thread by your trolling

• Advertisement

Rangers were linked with him but it was paper talk

Did he go for Giles and Dunphy while he was at it to complete the set!?
    Nah he didn't go that far :)

You need to get over it Rangers still play in the famous colours with the same crest and you only need to look at the official SFL website to see the history your continuos snide remarks are very boring and childish
    My last word on it if you can't read what's in front of you and very easy to find then you have a problem.

Once again you have detailed a thread by your trolling

'Tis you that needs to get over it and 'tis you that is derailing the thread bud:pac:
    Any sign of that money for Jelavic yet, or was that another club that owed money on that deal;)

Back on topic, Rangers were linked with everyone back then, they were spending money like there was no tomorrow. Souness to be fair to him was determined to break the shameful tradition of not signing players from RC backgrounds. He was embarrassed by it I'd say, his wife at the time was a Catholic I believe.

Advertisement