Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Game Series of All Time

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Choose Your Favorite

Greatest Game Series 30 votes

Super Mario
    0% 0 votes
    The Legend of Zelda
    13% 4 votes
    Call of Duty
    23% 7 votes
    Grand Theft Auto
    3% 1 vote
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    20% 6 votes
    Guitar Hero
    3% 1 vote
    Assasins Creed
    0% 0 votes
    Metroid
    3% 1 vote
    Starfox
    0% 0 votes
    Mario Kart
    0% 0 votes
    Street Fighter
    3% 1 vote
    Tekken
    3% 1 vote
    Mortal Kombat
    0% 0 votes
    Batman Arkham
    0% 0 votes
    Tony Hawk
    6% 2 votes
    Skate
    0% 0 votes
    Battlefield
    3% 1 vote
    Pikmin
    3% 1 vote
    Super Smash Bros
    0% 0 votes
    Crash Bandicoot
    0% 0 votes
    Spyro The Dragon
    0% 0 votes
    Banjo-Kazooie
    3% 1 vote
    Resident Evil
    0% 0 votes
    Pokemon
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Please Specify)
    10% 3 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Railworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Boring as this thread is, it's not a game review. Moving to the main games forum. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whats with all the greatest/best threads this week?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And another terrible poll with so much wrong in it. Tekken but no SNK fighters? No Half Life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No Final Fantasy. There are loads of RPG series' that could be included but honestly, no Final Fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Maybe someone doing his homework for university with all these polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Awful awful poll choices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Doesn't really matter whats missing, Zelda/Mario are there... best 2 series "of all time".

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gazza3k11

Street Fighter is there

danthefan wrote: »
    No Final Fantasy. There are loads of RPG series' that could be included but honestly, no Final Fantasy.
    Yeah i admit I should have put Final Fantasy on there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gazza3k11 wrote: »
    Street Fighter is there

It's still an awful poll for a topic that doesn't need one.

I'd say my favourite series is Shin Megami Tensei. 30+ games and not a bad one unlike other series I can think of like FF or even Dragon Quest. Only other series that comes close is Zelda which has always maintained a high level of quality, even the much hated CDi games are actually quite good other than Zelda's Adventure.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say my favourite series is Shin Megami Tensei. 30+ games and not a bad one unlike other series I can think of like FF or even Dragon Quest. Only other series that comes close is Zelda which has always maintained a high level of quality, even the much hated CDi games are actually quite good other than Zelda's Adventure.
    What about them glorious CDi cutscenes lol

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And another terrible poll with so much wrong in it. Tekken but no SNK fighters? No Half Life?
    The reason that I didn't put the Half-Life series on here is because there is only 2 full games and I didn't really like the first one so when I made the list I didn't think to put it on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gazza3k11 wrote: »
    The reason that I didn't put the Half-Life series on here is because there is only 2 full games and I didn't really like the first one so when I made the list I didn't think to put it on here

So the poll is about the games you like and we pick which ones we like too?
    Can we put a ban on stupid favourite polls please? It's worse than the retarded top 5/10 lists.

tuxy wrote: »
    So the poll is about the games you like and we pick which ones we like too?
    Can we put a ban on stupid favourite polls please? It's worse than the retarded top 5/10 lists.
    Are you retarded? I clearly said that I didn't think to put the Half-Life series on there. I didn't say I don't like the series as a whole. I don't like Mortal Kombat or Guitar Hero but I still put them on there because I know they are very popular

Don't start throwing childish insults at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Final Fantasy up until the latest installments IMO.

GavRedKing wrote: »

I don't know how anyone can say that if they've play FF2. Woeful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

The common consensus is that your poll is stupid and ineffective - asking if people are retarded when they tell you this is not going to win you any supporters.

The reason for the negative backlash against your crap poll, is that this is the 2nd "best game ever" poll which I have seen recently which omits game series and is generally poorly designed - not to mention the fact this topic is done to death (both here and on other gaming related sites)

Your rationale for not including half life does not make any sense - but since this is one of the first things you have done on boards.ie I think people need to hold the knives and be a bit less candid in their criticism. I know when i first started I didnt understand how opinions on the internet work (however this was 12 years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GavRedKing wrote: »

The middle of the main series + FFT is my favourite collection of games of all time easily. To be honest I've not played 1 or 2, and I think XII, XIII are nowhere near as good as the previous entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

How could you leave out Final Fantasy?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fibrescale

No Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Oh dear.

Hercule wrote: »
    The common consensus is that your poll is stupid and ineffective - asking if people are retarded when they tell you this is not going to win you any supporters.

The reason for the negative backlash against your crap poll, is that this is the 2nd "best game ever" poll which I have seen recently which omits game series and is generally poorly designed - not to mention the fact this topic is done to death (both here and on other gaming related sites)

Your rationale for not including half life does not make any sense - but since this is one of the first things you have done on boards.ie I think people need to hold the knives and be a bit less candid in their criticism. I know when i first started I didnt understand how opinions on the internet work (however this was 12 years ago)
    Ok ok I know what everyone is saying and thanks for the constructive criticism but all I wanted to do was post a poll purely for fun and the reason I asked the user Tuxy if he is retarded is because I was sick of "Why didn't you put this series on here" comments and when I saw that one I just had enough. Once again sorry for my backlash but I only posted these for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Oh gods, an Other poll without fallout or mass effect in it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh gods, an Other poll without fallout or mass effect in it :/

Excuse me I don't see Civilisaiton either. Or Monkey Island. Or .. oh God. I'll stop now before I cry.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

So much haters...!

Has to be Zelda for me. So many memories throughout my life with that game. Starting with A Link to the Past on the snes, then Link's awakening and Ocarina of Time only to be disappointed with Majora's Mask. And recently playing Wind Waker. I don't know why I enjoy these games. On paper they seem poor but I always addicted from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So much to hate when one's favorite is neglected from the silly poll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Army Men series makes a convincing argument to be labelled the greatest, and I mean objectively rather than subjectively. Basically the Battleship Potemkin of video gaming, its vivid realisation of warfare has consistently reflected the horrors and atrocities of war through accessible metaphorical storylines, while making experimental leaps that further the medium in profound, enlightening ways. It is a series that has single-handedly been responsible for establishing gaming's visual langauge, and has constantly negotiated the nature of the relationship between player and designer. Its inspired, groundbeaking transition into three-dimensions - a mere year after its isometric debut - is equivalent to the addition of sound to motion pictures: a move that instantly transformed the medium, opening up a plethora of opportunities that game developers are still struggling to get to grips with.

It's rare that a game series can still hold so much appeal after twenty-four distinctive, invigorating entries - Air Attack 2 remains one of the most astonishing artistic achievements in humanity's history, while I don't think I can say anything about the transcendent Major Malfunction that has not been said already - but Army Men has consistently proven to be a pioneering entry that has irrevocably shaped interactivity as we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Close thread ?

Advertisement