Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lots of interviews...but no offers

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Ive been looking for a new job for about a year.working part time in accounts and the athmosphere in the job is toxic.Feel pure dread going in every day.

Ive been looking to move into a full time role. I went back to college at night to do the accounts technician course and im half way though with really good results from my first year exams.In addition to this ive been working in accounts for 12 years so plenty of experience...BUT...

In the last 3 months I have had 14 interviews and so far ive gotten 11 no's (still waiting to hear back from 3 from last week).Ive asked for feedback and I keep getting told the same thing "you did a great interview and we were really impressed with your skills but we went for a candiate with more experience/already finished IATI/stronger skills."

I know its great to even be getting interviews and a few 2nd interviews but its so disheartning to be constantly told no. last 3 jobs I had i was offered on the spot.

Is it just me or does anyone else share this experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

As the employers say, it probably is simply the case that you are not as qualified as other applicants.

You've just got to stay positive and keep applying. It will eventually work out for you, that is 100% certain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Well the good news is that you are getting your foot in and getting interviews. The less good news is that you are not getting over the bar in 11 interviews which is way too high.

First things first - don't expect useful feedback from interviewers. It's usually HR who give the feedback which is suitably bland as they don't want hassle and the interviewers no interest/time to give real feedback.

Second they wouldn't interview you at all if you didn't have an equal chance of getting the job (they know experience levels from your CV's so if that was the problem...) Interviews are super time consuming so you don't get interviewed unless you have a real chance. This numbers thing is nonsense. Accept you are doing something wrong and do something about it.

Third, being a good interviewee is a professional skill that you need to attain. You don't just magically become good at interviews. If I were you I would invest in a professional interview coach in Ireland (Google em) and learn how to be good at interviews. As someone who interviews all the time I went to a coach a couple of years ago when I was job hunting and it was a revelation for me how poor I was as an interviewee at the time. It will be one of the best investments (better then most college courses) you make as being a good interviewee will stand to you throughout your professional life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Maybe hold off applying anymore until you finish the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What reason are you giving interviewers for leaving your current job?

You mentioned that it's a toxic atmosphere to work in, but it's probably not a good idea to mention this in interviews ... it's never a good idea to say anything too negative about your current job/employers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

chatterpillar may have a point.

Prospective employers "absolutely do not" want to hear you complain about your current/previous employer, it demonstrates poor loyalty to the person paying you. (Which will soon be them)

Use a more positive reason:

"moving on to develop my career""
    "always admired your company, have had great feedback from former employee"
    "I want to change location, I've always wanted to live in Galway"
    "limited opportunity for advancement in current company"
    etc.

Any practice the reason so that it sounds natural, not forced...

Consider what follow on questions may be asked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss_diagnosis

Im saying that i work for a small company and ive taken the job as far as it can go,am looking for a new challange and a chance to develop the new skills im learning in the course.

I dont think my interview skills can be that bad as ive gotten 2nd interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

In fairness your up against candidates who may have iati finished, accountancy degrees and perhaps qualified accountants. When where you last 3 jobs offers? where they within the last 3 years.

No..they were back in the good old celtic tiger days.Im in my current job 6 years..which also seems to be going against me. Also a recruitment agent told me its harder to get work when your a married woman in your early 30's..because they think you are going to be firing out babys (seriously!)

On the plus side I applied for a job in the Stock exchange and got down to the final 3 so thats a bit of a boost even if i didnt get it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Could it be that you say too much? in the past, I have been guilty of feeling the need to fill silences, or because I know I am up against other more qualified people, felt the need to blather on more than needed - probably out of a desperate need to make sure the employer knew I could do the job.

Sometimes 'overselling' yourself can be just as bad as underselling yourself. The job I now have I was much more concise and to the point with my answers, didn't rush to fill silences, tried to give a more self assured and confident air. Could it be something like that?

And as micdug says, many HR people won't really bother giving proper feedback - for one they can't be bothered to spend anymore time on an unsuccessful candidate, and two most of them would rather give a stock reply of you gave a strong interview blah blah than actually tell you something negative or hard to hear.

Do you know any friends who are a bit of a hardass boss or manager? maybe ask them to give you a mock interview and don't pull any punches. They might be more inclined to give you a properly honest answer as to your performance...but be prepared to perhaps hear something you don't like! but if you do, take it as constructive criticism and turn it to your advantage.

that might be it.I do have a tendancy to waffle when im nervous. Just got another no a few mins ago but I dont mind cos she basically told me in the interview the boss was an ahole.

I did a phone interview last week and should be doing a face to face with them shortly. so ill cut the waffle,stick to the facts and see how I go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I worked in a very toxic environment and looking back I suspect that I was like a bundle of stress when doing interviews (not interview nerves, just a stressed out individual), and in all likelyhood probably said too much at the same time.

I'm not saying you're stressed, but take a step back from things, because even within the process of applying for jobs, interviews, rejections etc., can significantly add to the frustration and ultimately the stress of being stuck somewhere that's not good for you and somewhere where you don't want to be.

D.

Do you think maybe my desperation to leave my job is coming across in interviews? I seriously need to leave..ever since i got a warning for using paper clips instead of staples (im serious).How do I take a step back from it all? Im getting seriously down over the amount of rejections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I think it's amazing you've had so many interviews. Definitely a good sign. If the employer wants to sit down with you they're certainly interested and you'll always be in with a shout if you deliver a strong performance. But it's all a game. Most employers ask the same old questions and it's easy with a bit of preparation to have good answers to the vast majority of questions that will arise. I'd suggest you go and pick up one of those interview guide helpbooks. Have a look on Amazon and read the buyers' comments for a decent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh I feel your pain OP. I get interviews, apparently give a strong performance, and yet I'm always passed over!

But trying to stay positive is getting increasingly difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Do you think maybe my desperation to leave my job is coming across in interviews? I seriously need to leave..ever since i got a warning for using paper clips instead of staples (im serious).How do I take a step back from it all? Im getting seriously down over the amount of rejections.

Well I can't say for sure, only speaking from my experience.

I worked in a job that turned to bull***t in 2005, and it took until 2011 for me to get another job. There are reasons for this and a lot of bad luck but that is the way things panned out in the end, so I know exactly where you are coming from. By 2008 I really wasn't all that good being constantly stressed for an extended period of time and had to take unpaid leave for a few months to try and get myself back to normal.

It's all too easy on getting overly focused on just finding another job, and when that doesn't happen immediately it just adds to the stress and the frustration on top of the job itself. What worked for me was concentrating on other things, such as hobbies and exercise to have time to switch off from the job and the stress.

Secondly don't constantly job hunt, it'll wear you out. By all means keep your eye out and if you see a fantastic job apply for it, but don't keep blanket job hunting, especially dealing with agencies. YVMV but I always found the summer quiet, earlier and later in the year I always found better.

Thirdly have a plan, which I think you do as you're doing your course. You might not be able to fulfill that plan overnight, but understand that you are constantly moving in the right direction and you will get there.

HTH

D.

thanks everyone.good to know im not alone with this! i got ANOTHER no today. apparently it was down to me and one other candiadate and guess what?!!! Ill certainly pick up one of those books. unfortunatly i cant take unpaid leave and i really do need to leave my job (on anxiety medication)and for financial reasons so I have to keep looking.Agencies are useless though so im usually just applying direct.Out of all the interviews agencys only got me 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

My wife is a recruitment consultant (not in your field) and insists that if you're not getting interviews, you're not qualified for the job. If you are getting interviews, but not the job, then you're bad at interviews.

You have to remember that the company wants to employ somebody. If they've called you to interview, then they like what they see on your cv, but something must be putting them off you at the interview stage (I don't mean that to sound insulting!)

It's great that you've gotten so many interviews, you are obviously well skilled for your trade, but i would agree with the other posters that you should probably take a break from job hunting until you find a way to improve your interview skills. A good recruitment consultant should be able to help you. (Remember, they don't get paid unless you get the job, so it's in their interests to help you)

thanks for that..but I've gotten a few second interviews.in fact after one the interviewer called me back and said they only gave it ti the other candidate as they had competed iati.so if im getting 2nd interviews then i must not be that bad.also did interviews with agency and they all say come across really well.

Would just like to say..that over a year since I posted...I got two job offers on the same day.40 interviews later.
    So anyone else in my position don't give up. the right job is out there...its just a matter of perseverance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Would just like to say..that over a year since I posted...I got two job offers on the same day.40 interviews later.
    So anyone else in my position don't give up. the right job is out there...its just a matter of perseverance!

Congratulations :) Good on you

• Advertisement
Advertisement