Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett's mother die

• 18-08-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

very very sad day , what a great woman she was ,
    can you imagine her pain all through her life !!!
    48 years trying to find her son .

My deepest of deepest sympathy to all her family .

I really hope someday they will have peace in their hearts and have a chance
    to put their little boy to rest .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19305055

Stargate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

A sad day for fans of mothers of murder victims everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A very sad day, hopefully she has found peace now. I hate the way that Sky news have given her the title of 'Ian Brady's 6th victim'. I sincerely doubt that she would have appreciated that title. She's fought him every step of the way for the past 48 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw that, now he can't play mind games with Winnie Johnson one wonders if Brady will react by coming clean (assuming he hasn't been spoofing for decades)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Her sad passing never knowing where her son is, is a reinforcement that Brady is one twisted individual.
    One that shouldn't and won't be ever released.

If ever there was a case for torture to find out information, his continued silence might advocate the use of it!

(For the record, I'm against the use of torture.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

That Brady couldn't even give her the closure of knowing where the remains were buried show's how his mind operated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Every parents nightmare, may she now finally find peace.
    Hindly and Brady shouldhave been hanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

If I was in Jackie Powell's position I don't think I could've kept the existence of this letter from the authorities knowing the significance of what information it could possibly hold.
    I'd imagine her conscience will have a lot to say after hearing this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

That poor lady fought so long to find her sons body.... Every parents worst nightmare. I hope she is at peace now and that if there is a god that he has reunited get with her son today.

Call me Al wrote: »
    That poor lady fought so long to find her sons body.... Every parents worst nightmare. I hope she is at peace now and that if there is a god that he has reunited get with her son today.

If she was a religious person who believed in a place after physical death, I hope before her passing, she at least got some comfort in the thought she would be seeing her son again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I hope she is with her son in spirit now.

Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I havn't a huge problem with torture for certain people and I for one wouldn't mind giving Brady a long lingering painful death. He deserves nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

That Brady wakner has to be the biggest cutn that ever walked.

It is a serious case when torture should have been considered, me in a cell with him with a pencil for 5 minutes and I would have found out where he buried the body, the total bastard.

Colmustard wrote: »
    That Brady wakner has to be the biggest cutn that ever walked.

It is a serious case when torture should have been considered, me in a cell with him with a pencil for 5 minutes and I would have found out where he buried the body, the total bastard.

Jack Bauer would have the info in 30 seconds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

If there is a heaven, I hope she is finally reunited with the son she obviously loved so much. All the talk over the last few days of Brady and the possible location of her son must have been to much for her. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Supposedly Channel 4 was told Ian Brady had revealed where he buried Keith, and didn't tell the police for ten days. Absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Supposedly Channel 4 was told Ian Brady had revealed where he buried Keith, and didn't tell the police for ten days. Absolutely shocking.

:eek::eek::eek: That is very serious and if true someone should be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Laalaaa wrote: »
    If I was in Jackie Powell's position I don't think I could've kept the existence of this letter from the authorities knowing the significance of what information it could possibly hold.
    I'd imagine her conscience will have a lot to say after hearing this news.

This woman should get jail for not helping the police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Colmustard wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: That is very serious and if true someone should be locked up.

Someone was jailed
    The TV production team passed on the information to Greater Manchester Police on Jul 30 and Ms Powell, 49, who was appointed Brady’s mental health advocate in 1999, was detained yesterday on suspicion of preventing the burial of a body without lawful exercise.

However, police sources say she claims she returned the envelope to Brady at some point between Jul 30 and her arrest.

Detectives examining a large number of documents seized from Ms Powell’s home in south Wales have so far found no letter or any evidence to suggest Brady has disclosed the location of Keith’s body.

A search of Brady’s cell at Ashworth Hospital in Merseyside has also failed to uncover the alleged letter.

Ms Powell has been released on bail pending further inquiries.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/woman-returned-brady-letter-revealing-grave-204522.html

As for hanging Brady and Hindley - it may surprise many that that is what Hindley also believed should have happened:

'I ought to have been hanged. I deserved it. My crime was worse than Brady's because I enticed the children and they would never have entered the car without my role ... I have always regarded myself as worse than Brady'.

Brady has been on hunger strike for 12 years and is force-fed daily. Brady wants to die - why should he be given what he wants?

I don't see what hanging them would have achieved -a far quicker death then they gave their victims is more then they deserved. Better to have them live, locked up for the rest of their lives then be given a quick death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I have a guy feeling Brady had nothing to do with this lads disappearance.
    Don't know why, but I think he may be spoofing.

Powell was definitely lying about the letter, there was no letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    If there is a heaven, I hope she is finally reunited with the son she obviously loved so much. All the talk over the last few days of Brady and the possible location of her son must have been to much for her. May she rest in peace.

Very well said Andy-Pandy

Stargate

• Advertisement

...All the talk over the last few days of Brady and the possible location of her son must have been to much for her.
    Mrs Johnson's solicitor John Ainley told the BBC she did not know about the latest development as "she wasn't capable of accepting it".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19305055

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

The poor woman, may she now RIP.

Cannot even come close to imagining what she went through over the last few decades.

It's mad to think that a poor aul haunted soul dies, and those two dirt bags who ruined her life are getting all this media and air time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Brady is an evil bastard, as is the Cnut who assisted him, but this really puts the cherry on top, the fact that he couldn't just let this woman, who he had stolen so much from, have the body of her poor child back so she could bury him as she wished is just cruelty of the highest form, I don't believe in heaven or hell, but if there was there would be a special place reserved for him in the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Her family made the decision not to tell her about this latest development due to her being gravely ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Been looking at and reading a bit about this woman, and the whole Moors thing over the past couple days. The thing that I'm left with is trying to understand the sadness and total despair that poor woman (and others too) must have went through daily for years on end.

What a miserable life. I don't know why this has upset me so much, but maybe it's the first time that this whole case has been in my mind since I had children of my own. I really feel for the families of the victims here - must be soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

It's a given that Brady is a psychopath in the truest sense of the word but I'm disgusted at the behaviour of the woman he gave the letters to. What the hell was she thinking? What sort of person is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone watch the Channel Four Documentary tonight?

How someone like Jackie Powell got the health advocate job to one of the UK's most notorious killers that still withheld info on victims whereabouts is beyond me.

She's obviously is some sort of slob with low intellect. She started to sort of boast about the letter, stating it probably said where the boys body was. When the interviewer started giving her a hard time she argued with him and then stopped the interview!

To think if she had handed the letter in Winnie Johnson could have taken her last breath knowing her son's body was where she wanted it to be.

Serious questions about who gave her the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I have a guy feeling Brady had nothing to do with this lads disappearance. Don't know why, but I think he may be spoofing.

You're presenting a watertight case there.

The circumstances (his age, date of disappearance and the area from where he was taken) all point to Brady and Hindley. It's not as children were disappearing on a regular basis within such a specific time frame and area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

One of the victims was identified by her screaming helplessly for her mammy that the pair recorded on tape during a lengthy torture.
    It was her own mother who identified it.

Yes, they deserved torture & no, it doesn't make us worse than them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    One of the victims was identified by her screaming helplessly for her mammy that the pair recorded on tape during a lengthy torture.

Indeed. It makes you as bad as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

anncoates wrote: »
    You're presenting a watertight case there.

The circumstances (his age, date of disappearance and the area from where he was taken) all point to Brady and Hindley. It's not as children were disappearing on a regular basis within such a specific time frame and area.

the documentary mentioned that brady and hindley admitted years after they were arrested that they killed keith bennett, thats why there was a search in 1986 where the police went to the moors with hindley and brady

Rabidlamb wrote: »

I'd rather die than ever have to hear such a recording of my child.

I'm not a religious person but if I am wrong and there is a hell, I hope the killers forever burn in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

old hippy wrote: »
    Indeed. It makes you as bad as them.

That doesn't make sense:confused:......how does it make him as bad as them????? They tortured innocent little angels and destroyed many many lives:mad::mad::mad:

I'm only after watching that prog. I'm really upset and angry. That Powell individual must have no feelings or kids of her own for that matter. I'd hand that letter over to the police straight away and risk losing my job quicker than let an old broken hearted woman die after a lifetime of waiting to see her little boy get a proper burial in vain. I don't have the words to express my feelings on this case.

I don't believe all human beings have the same rights as others. I know many will disagree- I'm not going to argue for pages about this, this is my opinion and nothing will change it:mad:. I believe when an individual takes a child, tortures it and dumps it in a lonely cold desolate place they shouldn't be treated as a normal human being. His cell should be raided for any communications, any solicitors he may have shoud be forced to hand over anything he has sent them:mad:...and he should be force fed 'til he chokes:mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ann22 wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense:confused:......how does it make him as bad as them????? They tortured innocent little angels and destroyed many many lives:mad::mad::mad:

And he wants to torture the killers. It wont bring the victims back.

old hippy wrote: »
    And he wants to torture the killers. It wont bring the victims back.

No, it won't sadly but it's understandable to want to give them a taste of their own medicine. It's not understandable to want to torture and kill an innocent child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Brady laments the fact that he wishes to die to escape being locked up , but cant die .
    he craves to die , and wishes he had cancer ,
    which he cannot get even though he apparently chain smokes the strongest rollups he can get.

What the thick murdering scumbag hasnt copped is the fact that if he is
    deliberatley still holding on to the information on this childs body ,
    it is this that is keeping him alive , either subconsciously or plain old karma.

how thick does he have to be to not see this ?

If he really craves the freedom of death , he should be breaking his hole trying to find that body .

the truth shall set you free Brady , give them the body , and you'll die plain and simple.

Advertisement