Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigs on spits.....???

• 18-08-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

WTF!! Aren't they the grossest way of presenting food ever!! Makes me want to puke every time I see it going on. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I know a few girls that like a nice spit roast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Neer go to a slaughterhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I love a good Spit roast............ pig. best way to cook em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

More snout anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

WTF!! Aren't they the grossest way of presenting food ever!! Makes me want to puke every time I see it going on. Anyone else?

1) Get over it.

2) Reconsider your eating habits.

Your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Viking carry on tbh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But they taste so nice! :D Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

never tried it or seen it...

But I fooking love meat!!!!!! Id eat the whole thing. YUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nope, have you ever actually smelt that Ozzie BBQ in town near the Bernard Shaw? It would make me want pig on a spit I tell thee....

I haven't tried it yet but I defo will....

• Advertisement

wernstrom! wrote: »
    1) Get over it.

2) Reconsider your eating habits.

Your choice.

No intentions of getting over it!! My point is it's fcuking disgusting!! I eat meat so have no problems there. What's it going to be next cow on a spit?? Ffs like gross!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No intentions of getting over it!! My point is it's fcuking disgusting!! I eat meat so have no problems there. What's it going to be next cow on a spit?? Ffs like gross!!!

Why is it gross?

If you seen how cows are treated you'd never want to eat one again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do you have the same opinions on rotisserie chickens? It's not gross, it's simply a way to cook the animal. And it smells bloody good too!

If you seen how cows are treated you'd never want to eat one again ;)

That goes pretty much for any animal. I just feel sick looking at the way the food is presented really, don't fancy eating somethings head or looking at it being cooked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Pig up the pole. No biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

no there lovely looking

cow on a spit? you would need a big spit

That goes pretty much for any animal. I just feel sick looking at the way the food is presented really, don't fancy eating somethings head or looking at it being cooked!!

What about fish? I was in restaurant and my fish was making eye contact with me!

Still ate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I love 'em, they sight of a piggy twirling away over the fire makes me hungry for crackling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

syndeyfife wrote: »

But I fooking love meat!!!!!! Id eat the whole thing. YUM

If this was 1991 I'd say "That's what she said last night"

But it's not so .... eh .. bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What's it going to be next cow on a spit?? Ffs like gross!!!

Ox, actually :D

http://www.blogwiese.ch/wp-content/OchsAmSpiess.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pigs are delicious creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There's no such thing as not liking bacon in all forms and presentations. There must be something very, very wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Real man food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ahh. So you're one of those people who likes meat but doesn't want to be remined that you're eating an actual animal.

Next time you're eating a chicken leg remember it came from an animal and a week ago it was running around quite happilly (if it was lucky enough to be free range). If it was unlucky it was factory farmed.

http://www.chickenindustry.com/
    "I was almost knocked to the ground by the overpowering smell of feces and ammonia. My eyes burned and so did my lungs, and I could neither see nor breathe….There must have been thirty thousand chickens sitting silently on the floor in front of me. They didn’t move, didn’t cluck. They were almost like statues of chickens, living in nearly total darkness, and they would spend every minute of their six-week lives that way."

—Michael Specter, New Yorker, April 14, 2003.

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/chickens.aspx
    At the slaughterhouse, their legs are forced into shackles, their throats are cut, and they are immersed in scalding-hot water to remove their feathers. Because they have no federal legal protection (birds are exempt from the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act), almost all chickens are still conscious when their throats are cut, and many are literally scalded to death in the feather-removal tanks after missing the throat cutter.

I'd love some pig now

Grayson wrote: »
    Ahh. So you're one of those people who likes meat but doesn't want to be remined that you're eating an actual animal.

Next time you're eating a chicken leg remember it came from an animal and a week ago it was running around quite happilly (if it was lucky enough to be free range). If it was unlucky it was factory farmed.

Have to admit, I never knew that about the birds. Ingenius method to quickly pluck them!

Balmed Out wrote: »
    There's no such thing as not liking bacon in all forms and presentations. There must be something very, very wrong with you.

I was a veggie for years and I ate loads of meat substitutes like quorn. Most are really nice. There is one thing that they could never do. They can never replicate the taste and smell of bacon. It is one of the greatest smelling foods of all time.

• Advertisement

Blondini wrote: »
    If this was 1991 I'd say "That's what she said last night"

But it's not so .... eh .. bye

If this was 1991 I wouldnt be born yet :o

Jesus I really want some meat now. Nice roast leg of lamb at the mammys tomorrow will have to do me:D

Jesus I really want some meat now.

:D:D:D

(Burger King for lunch methinks. The links I posted put me off KFC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if you get a hot dog in ghana its dog

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

You've obviously never lived! Friend did one in his back garden before and it was unbelievable!

Never been to this place either! In Edinburgh and they put the whole pig in the front window after it's been cooked, one of the tastiest things I've ever had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

OP is one of two things, and neither is to be envied.

:D:D:D

(Burger King for lunch methinks. The links I posted put me off KFC)

Ill have a whopper meal and a large coke no ice!

:D fookin starvin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This thread is bemusing. People have no sense of history. Before refrigeration or commercial butchers, that's what people did. You have a whole animal (cow | sheep | pig), an open fire, and a lot of people to feed. What do you do?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Mmm crackling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

You shouldn't quote peta as a reliable source of information on slaughterhouse practices.

I've been inside a chicken abbatoir, I've seen the CO2 baths, people there seem perfectly normal, professional people. It's just not true to say "most chickens are still alive" going into the water... it would be some seriously bionic chicken to survive a gassing and a throat slitting & still be conscious 5 minutes later going into the water baths.

later12 wrote: »
    You shouldn't quote peta as a reliable source of information on slaughterhouse practices.

I've been inside a chicken abbatoir, I've seen the CO2 baths, people there seem perfectly normal, professional people. It's just not true to say "most chickens are still alive" going into the water... it would be some seriously bionic chicken to survive a gassing and a throat slitting & still be conscious 5 minutes later going into the water baths.

How about this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2000/jan/29/food.foodanddrink1?INTCMP=SRCH

Ill have a whopper meal and a large coke no ice!

:D fookin starvin

Got meself a bacon double cheese burger :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The reality of meat shocks you? Dont eat it then. Simple
    No need to thanks me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Don't look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bacon is lovely.

Me wants BLT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

bah ram u bah ram u oooooooo wrong omnivore

You remind me of a dim wit from my work who freaked out on our christmas night out. We splashed out and went to a Michelin Star winning restaurant and when her chicken was presented on the bone she got all queasy and proclaimed that she didnt think 'they made chicken like that in this day and age'.
    Meat comes from dead burnt animals. Your being able to see it or not does not altar the fact.
    Whilst we are at it:
    Eggs are aborted Chicken babies
    Honey is bee vomit
    Milk comes from cows tits
    Prawns are sea slugs
    Arrrrgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You remind me of a dim wit from my work who freaked out on our christmas night out. We splashed out and went to a Michelin Star winning restaurant and when her chicken was presented on the bone she got all queasy and proclaimed that she didnt think 'they made chicken like that in this day and age'.
    Meat comes from dead burnt animals. Your being able to see it or not does not altar the fact.
    Whilst we are at it:
    Eggs are aborted Chicken babies
    Honey is bee vomit
    Milk comes from cows tits
    Prawns are sea slugs
    Arrrrgh

udder

the cock has the final say in the chick younguns

udder

the cock has the final say in the chick younguns

I've also heard em called hens periods.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Try eating long pig instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Much better; in this article the "odd one" is still very much alive going to the killing room, but crucially the author does admit that they are all stunned, i.e. unconcscious.

This is a vast improvement on the misleading and highly improbably statement of "many" still being alive and scalded to death made by the ever unreliable Peta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So they're electrocuted and then beheaded. Even if they're not stunned from the electrocution having their head cut off should finish the job pretty sharpish, don't you think?

I've been in an abbatoir. I've skinned rabbits. I am happy with my decision to eat as many different kinds of meat as I can get my omnivorous little hands on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement