Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigs on spits.....???

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

No intentions of getting over it!! My point is it's fcuking disgusting!! I eat meat so have no problems there. What's it going to be next cow on a spit?? Ffs like gross!!!

If you seen how cows are treated you'd never want to eat one again ;)

Urbanites, pigs have been roasted on spits for thousands of years. Plus, one does not eat cows, we milk them..which by the way is where your milk comes from. We eat bullocks, cattle reared for beef. Spit roasted pig has an excellent taste, takes bloody ages to cook though. Very popular at most shows around the country.....sorry, I meant outside the Pale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd a barbeque a few weeks ago & we spit roasted a baby pig. It was the nicest meat I've eaten all summer.. absolute heaven (on a stick).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

wernstrom! wrote: »
    1) Get over it.

2) Reconsider your eating habits.

Your choice.

No intentions of getting over it!! My point is it's fcuking disgusting!! I eat meat so have no problems there. What's it going to be next cow on a spit?? Ffs like gross!!!
    Cow on a spit
    Aw man I'm drooling now
    What bout hippo on a spit
    If I could I'd put all meat on a spit especially deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At a barbecue/party in Portugal a few years ago,These go on for about 2/3 days,It was been held by Ecuadorians in a private villa,They had a sheep grazing on the lovely designed lawns,The first evening they brought the sheep over cut its throat and let it hang for a while and then presided to carve up the meat and cook it, nothing went amiss,nothing.Lovely it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

WTF!! Aren't they the grossest way of presenting food ever!! Makes me want to puke every time I see it going on. Anyone else?

Exactly how often do you 'see it going on'? I can count on one hand the number of times I've come across a spit roasted pig unexpectedly. Are you living in some kind of medieval village where this is a daily occurrence? Are random people jumping out at you brandishing pigs on sticks? Is it a major problem in your life?

Nothing better than spit-roasted pork :) The ears are particularly crunchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

hiram wrote: »
    Urbanites, pigs have been roasted on spits for thousands of years. Plus, one does not eat cows, we milk them..which by the way is where your milk comes from. We eat bullocks, cattle reared for beef. Spit roasted pig has an excellent taste, takes bloody ages to cook though. Very popular at most shows around the country.....sorry, I meant outside the Pale...

What's that got to do with me saying never go to a slaughterhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Eggs are aborted Chicken babies

Nope, generally the eggs were never fertilised in the first place.
    Prawns are sea slugs

No their not. The first clue that this is not that case is that prawns are shellfish.

Something like this is a "sea slug":
    http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/elysloba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Nope, generally the eggs were never fertilised in the first place.

No their not. The first clue that this is not that case is that prawns are shellfish.

Something like this is a "sea slug":
    http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/elysloba

Yeah. i was just being as daft as the OP about food! Relax Sheldon;);););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

This thread is making me hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

What bout hippo on a spit

I'd actually be kind of impressed by anyone who'd manage that.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

American indian recipe

Get 1 tortoise
    Light a fire

Turn Tortoise upside down and put it on the fire, till cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It looks horrible. It's tasty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Was actually at a wedding 2 months ago and they had a pig on the spit. Was absolutely delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

leggit wrote: »
    You've obviously never lived! Friend did one in his back garden before and it was unbelievable!

Never been to this place either! In Edinburgh and they put the whole pig in the front window after it's been cooked, one of the tastiest things I've ever had!

Oh i've lived alright........ just not like a medieval peasant!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Remember i went to some barbucue and proceded went to the prevention of crulty to animals charty. They had a big pig on a spit. Was lovely and all but a little hypricatal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

I've never tried pig-on-a-spit, but I'd love to – it's a great traditional cooking method, and sounds like it'd be delicious.

This queasiness about the reality of meat is a very recent phenomenon. Up until very recently, most humans have killed and eaten their own animals, often animals they've personally bred and raised.

Did anyone see Kill it, Cook it, Eat it on BBC a couple of weeks ago? A group of ordinary meat-eating punters are gathered at a special abattoir with big windows installed and have to watch the bullock arrive, get stunned, its throat slit - the whole process - and then freshly cut steaks from the same animal are cooked and served to them within about 20 minutes of its death.
    It was really interesting to see the different reactions - some people got very upset, a few people cried, but in the end most of them were willing to eat the meat.
    Admittedly parts of it were a bit disturbing (even though the animal is completely unconscious, it keeps moving and kicking during the kill because of automatic muscle reactions). Naturally enough, it got easier to watch the less it looked like an animal; once the head, feet and skin were removed, I was able to relax a bit as it was now 'meat' rather than a poor old dead bullock.

I made myself watch it because although I'm a majorly sentimental animal-lover, I absolutely think it's ethically ok to eat animals, and I think it's only fair to properly understand the whole process.

If you're happy to eat meat, you have to be fine with the knowledge that it's a dead animal that has been killed for your pleasure. If you're not ok with that, fair enough, be a vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Grayson wrote: »
    I was a veggie for years and I ate loads of meat substitutes like quorn. Most are really nice. There is one thing that they could never do. They can never replicate the taste and smell of bacon. It is one of the greatest smelling foods of all time.

Ahhh bacon, or vegatarian kryptonite as I like to refer to it....

Many a veggie has staggerd down stairs hung over to f*** and fallen off the wagon as soon as they smelled the fry up going on in the kitchen. It's always the bacon that gets them in the end.

As for a hog roast, I blame my childhood love of Asterix and Obelix for the fact that my mouth is watering right now...

Will somebody think of poor Babe!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Will somebody think of poor Babe!!!:(

Ok, I will.

/eats ham sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It is the nicest way to cook pork.

The slower it is cooked the better. Best to let it slowly roast for about 8 hours. Get some bread rolls, ideally a very fresh bap and a little butter and use a little of the juice/gravy as ur mayo and stuff it with thick hot slices of that slow roasted meat marvel. you wont get a nicer sandwich. It is incredibly tender and tasty when cooked slowly.

I never had any problem with the aesthetics but I love meat. I always do hope the animals were humanely reared and slaughtered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

it's gorgeous, a stall at the galway christmas market has had one the last 2 years, absolutely lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

conorhal wrote: »
    Ahhh bacon, or vegatarian kryptonite as I like to refer to it....

Many a veggie has staggerd down stairs hung over to f*** and fallen off the wagon as soon as they smelled the fry up going on in the kitchen. It's always the bacon that gets them in the end.

As for a hog roast, I blame my childhood love of Asterix and Obelix for the fact that my mouth is watering right now...

Mrs Mattjack discovered a few years ago that she had Jewish ancestry and decided to go through a charade of giving up pork ... that was an invitation for me and the four 'little 'uns' to eat rasher and batch bread sammichs... she lasted about three hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Not in the least bit gross, have had a it few times in Serbia and in Montenegro
    absolutley delicious, you need to open your eyes to a wider world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

SocSocPol wrote: »

They do it in Ireland quite a lot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

SocSocPol wrote: »

My eyes are wide open don't worry! Live maggots, dogs and cockroaches are on the menu in other countries if you're interested, I just don't fancy that catching on here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Pigs on spits are around centuries so I doubt that form of cooking them is going to disappear and the taste is divine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

My eyes are wide open don't worry! Live maggots, dogs and cockroaches are on the menu in other countries if you're interested, I just don't fancy that catching on here either.
    Piss poor comparison, wtf hace live maggots got to do with roast pork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lamb is absolutely delicious when cooked on a rotisserie. How unsavory it looks doesn't impact on the taste.

I'd sooner eat that than the processed, plastic clad crap that most people pass as food these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭laros

For anyone in dublin..... Visited a few weeks ago.... Nom Nom Nom... :D

http://aussiebbq.ie/menu.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Grayson wrote: »
    Ahh. So you're one of those people who likes meat but doesn't want to be remined that you're eating an actual animal.

Next time you're eating a chicken leg remember it came from an animal and a week ago it was running around quite happilly (if it was lucky enough to be free range). If it was unlucky it was factory farmed.

http://www.chickenindustry.com/

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/chickens.aspx[/QUOTE]

I want a snaaack baux now........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

i don't know why, but I have endless contempt for anyone who will eat meat, but will not confront the reality that this was an animal at some point.

either

A) understand that this thing was killed on your behalf and you are comfortable with that

or

B) have the courage of your convictions and do the right thing in your mind by not eating meat.

anything else is childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

YOU DON'T DESERVE THE NAME Grimreaper666!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, very much in the camp of man the fook up and acknowledge what meat actually is or go vegetarian. I'd like if everyone had some involvement in their own provision at some point. People would appreciate meat a lot more if in order to get it they had to hunt it, kill it and butcher it. There'd also be a lot more vegetarians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's absolutely delicious.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

This thread deserves to be in Beer Guts and Receeding Hairlines, they'd appreciate it there,, mmmm lovely crackly Bacon

21/25

Advertisement