Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood - How to get the best value in logs for firewood....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

cpg093 wrote: »
    What would be a reasonable price for an 8x4x6 cattle trailer filled with lengths of spruce for firewood?

€80...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

where I live there lots fallen logs I just go in with my trailer to the woods and chain saw after about 40 minutes I have 3 months supply
    free

is that not stealing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Jack180570 wrote: »
    is that not stealing?

The Mods are aware of the post. I do know that in other forums, I and others have been pulled up for posts that allude to breaking the law, even when morally correct. e.g. self-defence.

Maybe it is ok if no one sees you? And you convince yourself you're doing someone a thinning service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Maybe it is ok if no one sees you? And you convince yourself you're doing someone a thinning service...

Its never OK IMHO. Interpreting the law to suit oneself- where does the line get drawn? "Ah, yer man hasn't started that ould tractor he left in the field for years- Sure, I'll be doing him a favour if I bring it away..."

Theft is theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Presumably if you ask the landowner if it's ok to take the wood, it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Presumably if you ask the landowner if it's ok to take the wood, it's ok.

Inviting Jor Bloggs onto your farm with a chainsaw is not clever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ford2600 wrote: »
    Inviting Jor Bloggs onto your farm with a chainsaw is not clever

I don't know this Jor Bloggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It should go without saying, but just for the record:
    There's no such thing as 'free' wood in this country.
    All land (both private and 'state') is 'owned' by someone, and all the trees and fallen timber on those lands are the property of the landowner.
    Even a tree fallen across the road remains the property (and responsibility) of the owner of the land on which it was growing.

Unless the landowner has given explicit permission to access and remove the timber, entering lands and removing timber is both theft and trespass.

And, all that's before we even approach the subjects of chainsaw operator qualifications, PPE, public/employers liability insurance, and who knows what else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Large Sally fell down in field near me recently. Went round to the landowners house and asked if I could have it for my stove.After several cups of tea and some nice homemade bread, it was decided that I could take it as long as I cleared up the small stuff and left his field tidy....and not be selling it on.This is how things are done in the countryside.
    365 and X27 sharpened and ready.Should get 5 cube of logs out of it that will give me 50 days heating for winter 2015.Just hope the ground dries out to give me access before it starts sprouting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Its never OK IMHO. Interpreting the law to suit oneself- where does the line get drawn? "Ah, yer man hasn't started that ould tractor he left in the field for years- Sure, I'll be doing him a favour if I bring it away..."

Theft is theft.

Irony, Tom, irony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Irony, Tom, irony...

Sry- It went right over me head. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

I had to go in on Thursday to the forest with dog for a walk. Just as we got in as tree had fallen down I went home to get the hand saw so I could cut the tree smaller so I could move it out of the way for the older people in the village.

I know Collette don't go near the start area of the walk and it would just be left in the way of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

cena wrote: »
    I had to go in on Thursday to the forest with dog for a walk. Just as we got in as tree had fallen down I went home to get the hand saw so I could cut the tree smaller so I could move it out of the way for the older people in the village.

I know Collette don't go near the start area of the walk and it would just be left in the way of people
    The problem there is you are taking on the negligence, if anything happens to anybody subsequent to or during your works by your works. It would be best to leave it in place and inform coillte.

I realise your intent was positive, and no doubt a benefit to your community, but you leave yourself open to risk in a litigious country, without any public liability insurance or permission for those works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Cant argue with this 1 Cubiic Metre will yeild 25 bags of firewood & this is going for €20
    http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/firewood-in-4-5-foot-lengths-20m/6227770

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Cant argue with this 1 Cubiic Metre will yeild 25 bags of firewood & this is going for €20
    http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/firewood-in-4-5-foot-lengths-20m/6227770

Good idea for sawhorse too

• Registered Users Posts: 2 techfarmer

Hi Jack living in Kildare near Naas have you timber for sale around now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 techfarmer

living in Kildare near Naas do you have timber for sale around now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

techfarmer wrote: »
    Hi Jack living in Kildare near Naas have you timber for sale around now?

Hi tech, nothing near you I'm sorry. ... still harvesting down in West Limerick. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

shanemc123 wrote: »
    Do u have logs for sale

We do also, here near Clonmel/Kilsheelan. Green and also seasoned. We process it on our own estate. PM me with questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

TTTT wrote: »
    Phone them.
    I did the CS 30 + 31 with Tree Care Ireland for €975 although you might only need CS 30 for cutting up firewood as CS31 is felling small (under 380mm) trees.

I highly recommend TCI. Great guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

On the look out for seasoned hardwood in Offaly if anybody has any pointers would appreciate...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec the trucker

Hey glebee.what part of offaly are you in? Pm me if you like.can get all the split ash you want.friend has a lot of ash so if your interested il give him a shout. I can deliever a 8x4 trailer load or a truck load.all split.

Advertisement