Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Options
  • 18-08-2012 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭

So this is coming out to general release soon. I'm going to have to buy it considering how many hours I sank into 1.6. I'm not expecting much at all to be honest. I hope to ****ing god they don't implement the "looking down the barrel" aiming system shown in the trailer at around 1.38 in the trailer. I always hated that from COD etc. I can't see half the screen or what I'm shooting at. Molotov's will be removed after the first patch :p

Cinematic trailer that was released yesterday, its nice to see de_nuke in a different light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Some of the comments make me a sad panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can't wait for this. Used to be hooked on this, but haven't really played it since the early day of 1.6.. We need a server for crack-handed old fogies like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Some of the comments make me a sad panda.

First rule of youtube is never read the comments. Even the top rated comment is often drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You can already play the beta if you pre-order on steam.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    So this is coming out to general release soon. I'm going to have to buy it considering how many hours I sank into 1.6. I'm not expecting much at all to be honest.

I think its good anyway, you'll get a lot of 1.6 "fanboys" that are hating on it without having played the game.. much like how they played source for a few hours within the first year or so of release and never gave it a chance once valve actually made the game decent. Right now, source is perfect as a competitive title.. just gotta have a bit of patience and an open mind !. CS:GO is much better than CSS was even a year after release imo.
    I hope to ****ing god they don't implement the "looking down the barrel" aiming system shown in the trailer at around 1.38 in the trailer.
    They haven't
    Molotov's will be removed after the first patch :p
    They won't, they're actually very interesting imo... a bit of tweaking and they'll be perfect for competitive play, will add a new dynamic to a 13 year old *formula.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out for consoles tbh, i think if they can somehow work in the most popular mods (Besides gungame, its already there) it could be really popular, the zombie mod is really good and seems to have the support of the developers. That would be a big hit with the CoD community imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

beta is good. Like the ranked matches which basically act like gun game a bit. The twist though is you only upgrade once per round regardless of how many kills you get (more kills you get a better grenade the next round) and it's not always a "better" weapon. eg. you upgrade from the desert eagle into the pump action shotgun and from there into a five seven back into a rifle etc. but thats just one option for play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Tell me when no AWP mode. I'd rather not deal with people getting 4K in pubs and proceeding to reduce the skill level of the whole lobby.

Hawke wrote: »
    Tell me when no AWP mode. I'd rather not deal with people getting 4K in pubs and proceeding to reduce the skill level of the whole lobby.

lol. There are already weapon restrictions on some servers (Noob servers, as we like to call them).

AWP is fine. I can't believe there was never any servers out there that restrict flashbangs. The rage they used to give on public servers was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

first game of cs i've played since 1.6, it's not bad but it's just not the same as it used to be or maybe i'm just too old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

first game of cs i've played since 1.6, it's not bad but it's just not the same as it used to be or maybe i'm just too old now.

i think it is already showing its age.

on the other hand me and my buddy went for competitive 5vs5 mode and it was surprisingly sweet! 5v5 is just perfect number. not too crowded and you can be more tactical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I can only echo these thoughts.
    Ive been in the beta about 5 months ,played on and off but it just feels the same.
    Not a bad thing for CS fans maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/AWPer_Hand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coregan101

Overheal wrote: »

Sadly that's just a reskin of the normal sniper rifle. Made me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Been a fan of CS for a while (never particularly great at it..) so picked up this preorder on Steam.

I really like it. It hasn't changed that much which is great and a little dissapointing as well. Classic levels (no Assault??) and familiar guns are all to be expected but the molotovs, new shotties and proper gun game mode are brilliant.

Only time will tell how quickly I get bored of it though.

st3veebee wrote: »
    Been a fan of CS for a while (never particularly great at it..) so picked up this preorder on Steam.

I really like it. It hasn't changed that much which is great and a little dissapointing as well. Classic levels (no Assault??) and familiar guns are all to be expected but the molotovs, new shotties and proper gun game mode are brilliant.

Only time will tell how quickly I get bored of it though.

haha needs Assault for sure ! It'll no doubt be developed by custom mappers tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I hope to ****ing god they don't implement the "looking down the barrel" aiming system shown in the trailer at around 1.38 in the trailer. I always hated that from COD etc.

can you tell me why?
    I always thought it was a big improvement when games like Call of Duty and Hidden and Dangerous had it, but yet release and after release and CS still remained the same.
    Its like they are stuck trying to appease their core fans and yet still trying to keep the game fresh.

I pre-ordered CS:GO when it was a bit cheaper a few weeks ago so have been playing the beta. Its good fun, don't get me wrong and well priced too but as far as I can tell its still just the same 13 year old game with slightly improved graphics now. Will wait for the full release before I'll have really made up my opinion on it.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    can you tell me why?
    I always thought it was a big improvement when games like Call of Duty and Hidden and Dangerous had it, but yet release and after release and CS still remained the same.
    Its like they are stuck trying to appease their core fans and yet still trying to keep the game fresh.

I pre-ordered CS:GO when it was a bit cheaper a few weeks ago so have been playing the beta. Its good fun, don't get me wrong and well priced too but as far as I can tell its still just the same 13 year old game with slightly improved graphics now. Will wait for the full release before I'll have really made up my opinion on it.

Why do you like it? How is it an improvement? I can't see its appeal.

It was a nice novelty at first but just got in the way of playing the game. I can't see almost half the screen. I don't understand how it could possibly be an improvement. Maybe from a realism point of view it could be seen as an improvement but if your playing games like these for realism, your playing the wrong games.

I like that CS:GO is "stuck" trying to appease its core fans. Heaven forbid it tries to be like the rest of the generic shooters that are being churned out recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I was quite happy when for example the orginal Call of Duty (COD1) brought in ADS as it made it lot easier to aim (with rifles and the german weapon etc) then in most other shooters around at the time.

In CS:S (and before) there was the bullpup* and the commando krieg* I think that had scopes on the rifles which allowed the right mouse to aim further in the distance but in a non-obtrusive way. I would have liked a secondary mode added to other weapons too.
    Am I right to remember you couldn't change the rate of fire in your weapons either (bar the Glock* (terrorist starting weapon)).

Still though I would love to be able to aim down the sights with an AK - still one of the only games where I actually liked using the AK47.

*Forgive the possible bad names but its been a good while since I've felt the urge to play CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In single player 'iron sights' or whatever you want to call it is fine. In multiplayer it's a total mare. Or I could be just old and bitter due to my failing reactions and inability to deal with change.

I was quite happy when for example the orginal Call of Duty (COD1) brought in ADS as it made it lot easier to aim (with rifles and the german weapon etc) then in most other shooters around at the time.

ADS is great for some games but it doesn't make aiming easier on PC(Its handy for snipers/1HK weapons in CoD tho, granted)... on console it helps a lot tho as it allows for 2 sensitivities (Faster sens when not ADS so you can turn faster etc, and a slower sens when ADS, so you can be more accurate when ADS. Theres no real need for that in a game like CS, just as theres no need for it in quake/UT/Halo.

I would have liked a secondary mode added to other weapons too.
    Am I right to remember you couldn't change the rate of fire in your weapons either (bar the Glock* (terrorist starting weapon)).

The famas also has a burst fire mode... USP HAD a silencer and the M4 silencer will be added in the near future apparently. There is no real need for alternate firing rates on the other guns tho when you can just do controlled bursts yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Magill wrote: »
    ADS is great for some games but it doesn't make aiming easier on PC(Its handy for snipers/1HK weapons in CoD tho, granted)... on console it helps a lot tho as it allows for 2 sensitivities (Faster sens when not ADS so you can turn faster etc, and a slower sens when ADS, so you can be more accurate when ADS. Theres no real need for that in a game like CS, just as theres no need for it in quake/UT/Halo.

Thats was my bad wording. I didn't actually mean easier as in easier kills, I just meant you could be more accurate i.e. aim down the sight, line up the shot and fire... i mean with everything from pistols to shotguns.

I'm not sure I could compare CS to arena shooters like Quake and UT as I found it myself to be a more tactical, slower shooter compared to the latter (though some rounds do turn out the other way!).
    Magill wrote: »
    The famas also has a burst fire mode... USP HAD a silencer and the M4 silencer will be added in the near future apparently. There is no real need for alternate firing rates on the other guns tho when you can just do controlled bursts yourself.

Ah yeah I did forgot about the famas.
    You are right though about the above as I do remember tapping the mouse for those long single shots... just probably too used to having this option is most of the recent shooters.

Bullpup and Krieg (Steyr Aug and SG552) had a slower rate of fire when you zoomed in. I never really found much of a use for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

To get that little bit more accurate you crouch! Job done.

Honestly Valve were gonna get some hate regardless:

Change the game (Add ADS, different weapons, modes etc new sounds) and people would say "this isn't Counter Strike anymore, just call it something enw and stop using the title to sell"

Keep it the same, as they have, and people say "what's the point? Just new graphics? Bleh"

I'm happy with what they have done anyway!

Thats was my bad wording. I didn't actually mean easier as in easier kills, I just meant you could be more accurate i.e. aim down the sight, line up the shot and fire... i mean with everything from pistols to shotguns.

I'm not sure I could compare CS to arena shooters like Quake and UT as I found it myself to be a more tactical, slower shooter compared to the latter (though some rounds do turn out the other way!).

I don't get how it'd be easier to line up a shot tho :D your still aiming for the center of the screen... only now you'd have a big gun blocking half your view !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Why do you like it? How is it an improvement? I can't see its appeal.

It was a nice novelty at first but just got in the way of playing the game. I can't see almost half the screen. I don't understand how it could possibly be an improvement. Maybe from a realism point of view it could be seen as an improvement but if your playing games like these for realism, your playing the wrong games.

It is more immersive, it allows for two stances when holding the gun, quick hip fire/panic and aimed.
    When CS originally came out it was the first real tachical shooter (that I remember anyway) that became popular online. Everyone else were still playing Qauke and UT. I perfered CS because I perfer using real world (ish) weapons then sci-fi.
    Cod1 was the first popular multiplayer shooter that introduced ADS or whatever you want to call it. It was a great game for its day and up till Cod4 was still a great series (ignoring the console only 3), fell off a cliff after that...
    Its just on one hand you have people saying CS is better as its more realistic/tachincal yet on the other you are ignore fairly obvious ways where it can be enhanced. Why?
    I like that CS:GO is "stuck" trying to appease its core fans. Heaven forbid it tries to be like the rest of the generic shooters that are being churned out recently

I don't see how adding ADS makes it another "generic shooter".
    If I remember correctly; CS:S got a lot of hate too when it was first released. It seems value really can't do much to improve the game without pissing off their fans.
    st3veebee wrote: »
    To get that little bit more accurate you crouch! Job done.

Honestly Valve were gonna get some hate regardless:

Change the game (Add ADS, different weapons, modes etc new sounds) and people would say "this isn't Counter Strike anymore, just call it something enw and stop using the title to sell"

Keep it the same, as they have, and people say "what's the point? Just new graphics? Bleh"

I'm happy with what they have done anyway!

Pretty much it in a nut shell. But as they have priced it appropriately I think it works. It is value for money anyway and I am saying that before I have even played the full verison!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just up.

ED E wrote: »

Just up.

****ing TotalBiscuit... I will reluctantly watch this. He is a pet hate of mine. He casts starcraft 2 sometimes and doesn't know a thing about the game.

It is more immersive, it allows for two stances when holding the gun, quick hip fire/panic and aimed.
    When CS originally came out it was the first real tachical shooter (that I remember anyway) that became popular online. Everyone else were still playing Qauke and UT. I perfered CS because I perfer using real world (ish) weapons then sci-fi.
    Cod1 was the first popular multiplayer shooter that introduced ADS or whatever you want to call it. It was a great game for its day and up till Cod4 was still a great series (ignoring the console only 3), fell off a cliff after that...
    Its just on one hand you have people saying CS is better as its more realistic/tachincal yet on the other you are ignore fairly obvious ways where it can be enhanced. Why?

I don't consider almost half the screen being obscured to be an enhancement in any way.

So realism does come into why you like "ADN". Whatever it gives it immersion is not worth it imo. Immersion is not a word you often hear when people refer to online shooters. They are highly competitive by nature. I would go play LA Noire if I wanted to get immersed in a game. I don't consider CS to be a game striving for realism nor do I think any game is better purely becuase it is more realistic. I think that's a fallacy when it comes to gaming. Realism != better. If I wanted that, there is always ARMA 2.

I don't see how adding ADS makes it another "generic shooter".
    If I remember correctly; CS:S got a lot of hate too when it was first released. It seems value really can't do much to improve the game without pissing off their fans.

Sorry I was being a bit flippant with that remark. I have only played Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield 3 out of all the modern shooters. In my ignorant opinion, they all seem to look the same and all have the ever infuriating ADN system which seems to be standard now. It would be more daring to not have it in a new game these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I've got a beta ticket if someone wants to trade for it. PM me if you do. I know I wouldnt have the time to get into the game.

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks Zapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Beta ends today as the game launches tomorrow.

I've been playing it, not played CS for about 6-7 years, but I still remember some of the maps. I suck though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm actually tempted to get this on the Xbox rather than PC - initially at least. PC Counter Strike players are at such a huge level above new players, I've tried numerous times over the last two or three years to get into it, but everyone playing it is just so much better than those not. Will probably them pick it up for a few euros in the Christmas sale.

Advertisement