Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Had a few quick games on the xbox it was awful, frame rate dropping or game freezing up was just a mess. even the off line menu feels very slow and clunky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

quarryman wrote: »
    2 dumbass questions here:

1. Does it include bots to allow me practice offline?

2. Does it have dust, dust2 etc as maps?

edit: I decided to not be a lazy sod and looked up the answers to my own questions.

1. Yes

2. Yes

Bots won't prepare you for online play.
    Bots act to a set of defined rules.

I watched a team of 5 human Ts standing on a bombsite, looking around them for a good 90 - 100 seconds and then the round ended and we (CTs) won because they didn't plant the bomb.
    Bot don't do that.

puffishoes wrote: »
    Had a few quick games on the xbox it was awful, frame rate dropping or game freezing up was just a mess. even the off line menu feels very slow and clunky

Join the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

my net sucks at moment so pings would be way too high to try online play. Just been trying out the new game modes, weapons and maps against bots.
    quarryman wrote: »
    1. Does it include bots to allow me practice offline?

;)
    st3veebee wrote: »
    I do miss the silencers actually, keep pressing the RMB with the default CT pistol just in case it magically appears :(

The default CT pistol has changed so that may explain the lack of silencer though bit suprising its missing for the M4(?).

The have also removed the TMP which was also a silenced machine-gun (don't mind that one as never liked that gun :))
    Bots won't prepare you for online play.
    Bots act to a set of defined rules.

While it's true that they won't prepare you for online/real person tactics etc they do give good practice for shooting (testing spread of weapon for example), layout of maps (for newer players) and chance to test the new game modes.

Unlike a lot of games that include bots the ones in CS are quite able to hold their own on the higher levels and have also good waypoints set-up so they know all the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't despair guis.... the M4 silencer will be added soon, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    If I remember correctly; CS:S got a lot of hate too when it was first released. It seems value really can't do much to improve the game without pissing off their fans.
    CS:S got a lot of hate because it was 1.6 with new graphics and a physics engine that a lot of people hated, hence the split in the community.

Why would valve want to add ADS to a game that already defined a genre? What magill means is that there is precisely nothing in modern shooters that sets them apart in any meaningful way. Most of them have taken elements from cs (CoD jumps to mind) and added nothing of note.

ADS is a gimmick and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dustaz wrote: »
    CS:S got a lot of hate because it was 1.6 with new graphics and a physics engine that a lot of people hated, hence the split in the community.

Why would valve want to add ADS to a game that already defined a genre? What magill means is that there is precisely nothing in modern shooters that sets them apart in any meaningful way. Most of them have taken elements from cs (CoD jumps to mind) and added nothing of note.

ADS is a gimmick and nothing more.

1.6 -> source completely changed how the guns handled.
    A pro 1.6 player could tell where each bullet in a burst of fire was going to go, the deviation was actually set.
    Source randomised the recoil so it became much harder to control.

Grenades too fell different and in 1.6 you can throw a grenade through a tiny crack between doors/crates, not so in Source.

A pro 1.6 player could tell where each bullet in a burst of fire was going to go, the deviation was actually set.
    Source randomised the recoil so it became much harder to control.

Grenades too fell different and in 1.6 you can throw a grenade through a tiny crack between doors/crates, not so in Source.

For 2/3 years source was awful as a competitive game no doubt, eventually valve(And some notable modders) got their **** together and for the most part turned source into a very solid competitive game. The guns in CSS handle REALLY well now, almost as good as 1.6 imo.. coming from someone who has played both games for at least 5 years each. If source was released as it plays now, i'd say it would have almost certainly taken over from 1.6.. its a shame it took them so long to sort the hitboxes and other random **** out.

Hope both communities actually give CS:GO a chance, and valve/hidden path actually make changes earlier this time.

Yeh, by physics i meant all that spray/recoil and hitbox stuff.

The gameplay was essentially exactly the same though.

Magill wrote: »
    Hope both communities actually give CS:GO a chance, and valve/hidden path actually make changes earlier this time.

I think it has a much better chance this time round. First time i played it i spent the entire time thinking about how ****ing bad i was rather than how bad the feel of the game was :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was in beta for months and loved it. Will pick up a copy when i get a tenner some time :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Was in beta for months and loved it. Will pick up a copy when i get a tenner some time :p

might buy this game today

more so on the pc
    but id love to have it on the pc as my connection on the console is way better then the pc
    on the pc i get lag spikes
    but the prob is
    i tryed the demo of it yesterday well the trail
    played online

i lagged constantly
    everytime i moved i lagged
    couldnt connect to some games
    managed to get 1 kill which was a desert eagle headshot from 1 end of dust to the other which was by mistake haha
    i did that quick turn around thing and shot by accident, BEST SHOT EVER lol

but still i want it on xbox
    but i dunno if its the servers or me but i just cant play the game, WAY TO MUCH LAG unplayable lag

• Advertisement

its you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ugh imagine playing cs with a fooking xbox or ps3 controller. Horrific. Been playing this for the last few days and I really like it. It feels totally different to CSS, a bit more like L4D2 to me. The new gungame mode is very good.

Dustaz wrote: »
    its you.

found out its their ****ty servers

its actually quite fun ha
    its not a game youd play competitivly
    its an arcade game as well
    for 15 quid it has its value

i prefer pc meself
    but you can ly down on your bed playing css on the pc

but at the moment the game aint playable at all so doesnt really matter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

saiint wrote: »
    found out its their ****ty servers

its actually quite fun ha
    its not a game youd play competitivly
    its an arcade game as well
    for 15 quid it has its value

i prefer pc meself
    but you can ly down on your bed playing css on the pc

but at the moment the game aint playable at all so doesnt really matter :D

How did you come to this conclusion? You're definitely wrong

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ugh imagine playing cs with a fooking xbox or ps3 controller. Horrific. Been playing this for the last few days and I really like it. It feels totally different to CSS, a bit more like L4D2 to me. The new gungame mode is very good.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    How did you come to this conclusion? You're definitely wrong

how? google search it
    i dont think thousands of people are wrong

cs:s same thing happened when that first came out as well

conclusion
    their servers suck, have to wait a while til the problem is fixed

Fine for me... still... just play on the community servers.. they're better anyway, especially the 120tick ones.

Sounds more like a routing/isp problem than something on their side... thousands of people have the same routers/isp's aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

anyone played on the PS3 yet ? I have more of my friends playing the PS3 online, plus i heard the PC community would be fairly good, and I don't fancy being cannon fodder. I just would not put in the hours if I am getting slaughtered

saiint wrote: »
    how? google search it
    i dont think thousands of people are wrong

cs:s same thing happened when that first came out as well

conclusion
    their servers suck, have to wait a while til the problem is fixed

Oh I see what you mean now. I thought you meant all the servers were rubbish. I never play on official valve servers to be honest. I almost always get better ping on independent servers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

2smiggy wrote: »
    anyone played on the PS3 yet ? I have more of my friends playing the PS3 online, plus i heard the PC community would be fairly good, and I don't fancy being cannon fodder. I just would not put in the hours if I am getting slaughtered

Not sure if the Euro PSN store has got it yet.

I would recommend the PC version though as the community once it grows to like this game will continue longer then the PS3 life cycle plus you have the more constant updates and the excellent modding community.

The obvious downside is the PC CS elites (of which there are many). I don't consider myself great at CS and i've been playing on and off since 1.6 but once you know the maps and weapons you can hold your own. This game does require patience though as you'll be doing a lot of waiting round ends (on PC and Console!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I was in the beta, and even though I CS:GO was the first CS game I ever played (and it showed, I sucked at it big time:P) the people playing were nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Farce this isn't on the EU PSN store.

FFS. Been waiting for it for ages and all. :mad:

Finical wrote: »
    Farce this isn't on the EU PSN store.

FFS. Been waiting for it for ages and all. :mad:

Dont worry mate it will be soon
    even so its near impossible to play at the moment so dont worry your not missing anything:)
    N64 wrote: »
    I was in the beta, and even though I CS:GO was the first CS game I ever played (and it showed, I sucked at it big time:P) the people playing were nice.
    yup most people are nice to play with, most games ive been in even though unplayable everyone was using a mic and their were some funny people on
    apart from the odd cod raging kid abusing people its so far a nice amount of people playing the game
    Oh I see what you mean now. I thought you meant all the servers were rubbish. I never play on official valve servers to be honest. I almost always get better ping on independent servers
    na man not all the servers just the valve servers haha
    i normaly play on independent servers me self but since im playing this on console theirs only valve ones

managed to paly 1 game last night without lag, was a great game, have to say for 1200 msp it is well worth it, would definitly keep you entertained

gonna get it on the pc now, just hope the servers are fixed soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played a bit on PC last night, its quite good.

Havent tried the new modes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Played it on 360 last night with no problems with a couple of other irish guys seems quite a laugh may buy it later when i get some more MS points : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just bought it on steam..hope its good!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I just bought it myself on steam. My first proper shooter for the pc. I tend to stick to league of legends. So far the maps are really good but sadly I am not very good.

CrazyFish wrote: »
    I just bought it myself on steam. My first proper shooter for the pc. I tend to stick to league of legends. So far the maps are really good but sadly I am not very good.

I would usually wish people well but since your a LoL player... :p

For a whole generation of gamers, Counter-Strike was the title that underscored the fact that a keyboard and mouse could run rings around a game controller, giving you a tactical advantage and lightning-quick response times. But once PC-quality FPS experiences started migrating to consoles, the game controllers slowly moved up the chain of command, and many tried and true keyboard + mousers slowly abandoning their beloved peripherals for new options. This was heavily underscored during my first full day with CS: GO, where I played only with a keyboard and mouse. But despite having a fairly new keyboard and mouse, I just couldn’t get back into the groove established earlier in life. Those pathways in my brain have been paved over, and now the neurons are channeled into a game controller. Which caused me to do something I never thought I’d do: plugging a 360 controller into my PC in order to play Counter-Strike. I cringed internally as my game improved immensely. The end of an era.

Oh dear.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/65693/counter-strike-global-offensive/review/

For a whole generation of gamers, Counter-Strike was the title that underscored the fact that a keyboard and mouse could run rings around a game controller, giving you a tactical advantage and lightning-quick response times. But once PC-quality FPS experiences started migrating to consoles, the game controllers slowly moved up the chain of command, and many tried and true keyboard + mousers slowly abandoning their beloved peripherals for new options. This was heavily underscored during my first full day with CS: GO, where I played only with a keyboard and mouse. But despite having a fairly new keyboard and mouse, I just couldn’t get back into the groove established earlier in life. Those pathways in my brain have been paved over, and now the neurons are channeled into a game controller. Which caused me to do something I never thought I’d do: plugging a 360 controller into my PC in order to play Counter-Strike. I cringed internally as my game improved immensely. The end of an era.

Oh dear.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/65693/counter-strike-global-offensive/review/

Haha. What a newbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Got this on the 360 and very pleasantly surprised, it's full of shooting through the door goodness but there are a fair amount of disconnects in the Arms Race and Demolition modes but not in the Classic ones for some reason

Advertisement