Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas and boiler service

Options
  • 18-08-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks, just got the boiler seviced with Jerry Rosenfarb 086 383 2293. Very reasonable price, 55 euro and he gave me a carbon monoxide alarm.
    Absolute gentlemen and very obliging re times for the visit etc. I'd highly recommend. Perhaps we could have him added to the useful numbers. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

is he certified? If so, that's a great deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

I second that for Jerry
    A true gentleman
    Have known Jerry for the last 13 years and always pleased with his work and enjoy the conversation too -
    Yes, he is certified

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

He is listed as RGI registered:
    http://www.rgii.ie/home/jerry-rosenfarb-gas-services.4294.html

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Yes, as said above. He is registered. Interesting story he told me re the gas fires that many of us have fitted. Basically, best not to use them. S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

FirstIn wrote: »
    Yes, as said above. He is registered. Interesting story he told me re the gas fires that many of us have fitted. Basically, best not to use them. S
    So you are saying we shouldn't use them because? Dangerous? Life threatening? Expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Re the fires. They can be dangerous. Especially when like me you have blocked the bottom vent in the front room as the draught was awful. So I got Jerry to turn off the gas supply to the fire.

They rely on the 2 vents to pass air. I'd say quite a few have blocked the lower vent or put one of those sliders on it to adjust the air flow which is dangerous. The 2 bed townhouses have 1 vent in the kitchen at the back of the house but 2 in the front room. The 2 should be open if you're going to use the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

So you are saying we shouldn't use them because? Dangerous? Life threatening? Expensive?

We were also told by a guy BG sent to service our boiler and gas fire that he'd rather we kept the money for servicing the fire and put it towards having it removed and replaced with an electric one. When we asked why he said flueless fires are incredibly dangerous and he didn't want our deaths on his hands. Seriously. Strangely, we haven't used it since and will hopefully remove it later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

We were also told by a guy BG sent to service our boiler and gas fire that he'd rather we kept the money for servicing the fire and put it towards having it removed and replaced with an electric one. When we asked why he said flueless fires are incredibly dangerous and he didn't want our deaths on his hands. Seriously. Strangely, we haven't used it since and will hopefully remove it later this year.
    Apparently theres some sort of catalitic converter in said fires that dosent work..they are really not fit to be used.we dont..i remember some guy on here about a year ago stateing that himself and his wife got really sleepy after using their appliance...twas only the grace of god they woke in time..the whole chimney breast is just plasterboard and timber..literally a waste of space..

wow, some interesting (and scary) points here guys - probably worth mentioning to management company to gauge feedback.

Regarding one of the posts above, we too have blocked the vents due to the draught; and have also felt that sleepyness/dizziness when the fires been on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

wow, some interesting (and scary) points here guys - probably worth mentioning to management company to gauge feedback.

Regarding one of the posts above, we too have blocked the vents due to the draught; and have also felt that sleepyness/dizziness when the fires been on for a while.

You have no idea how lucky you are !
    Unblock the vents.
    Better still, Stop using the fire until you have an RGI come out to assess the fire, its flue and your room vents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not saying the fires aren't dangerous, but everyone gets sleepy in a warm stuffy room. they're designed to be flueless, if they genuinely are that risky you would hope there would have been a recall (as happened a couple of years ago for gas cookers).

BTW If you have any sort of gas or solid fuel appliance in your house get a CO alarm! I personally can't believe this isn't in the building regulations. (also we used our fire a number of times when we lived in Charlesland and the CO alarm never even twitched...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Bit unfair to say the fire is the problem when it's really the fact that folks have blocked up their vents that is the likely cause, no?

Like the poster above, our Carbon Monoxide alarm has never sounded. We don't have the vents blocked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Eponymous wrote: »
    Bit unfair to say the fire is the problem when it's really the fact that folks have blocked up their vents that is the likely cause, no?

Like the poster above, our Carbon Monoxide alarm has never sounded. We don't have the vents blocked either.

Thats a fair point, it is not always the fire that is causing the problem. As I said in my earlier post firstly for them to re-open the vents.
    However as they had felt some ill effects I felt it prudent they have everything checked over by an RGI to ensure all was in order with the fire and the ventilation.
    Better Safe Than Sorry!

Eponymous wrote: »

Certainly doesn't help, but the gas boiler man who came out to us told them they've been banned in the UK and should've been banned over here. He actually wouldn't leave until we promised him we'd remove it or just stop using it - scared me enough to stop until we can afford to put in a semi-decent electric one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thought I'd jump in here and share my gas fire story. I used to live in Charlesland and the fire was indeed dangerous. Bord Gais had to disconnect it after reading a carbon monoxide leak. I had called them after a suspected leak from another source but the tech checked the fire as a precaution. We had been getting sleepy when we had it on, but obviously lived to tell the tale.
    Carbon monoxide can still be bad for your health over prolonged exposure though. Get your fires checked I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Ah yes...Jerry Rosenfarb, the guy who told me I needed a new PCB when my boiler last went and that I'd be better off buying a new High Efficiency Boiler for about €3500. Having gotten a second opinion it turned out the spark generator just needed to be replaced - cost €30.00!

€3500? - but did you get a free Carbon monoxide alarm? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Just had Jerry to do our gas boiler service. Great guy and good service. Don't need to spend 3500 on a new boiler but also didn't get a free carbon monoxide alarm...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Ahh the beau Jerry, smashing lad altogether a real gent. Could really do with him today! Boiler is not switching on so we are sans heating and hot water, not good with the little one in the house.
    Anyobody got any recommendations outside of Jerry? Tried a few this morning and they all seem to be engaged. Pm me or message here please with your suggestions?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

Certainly doesn't help, but the gas boiler man who came out to us told them they've been banned in the UK and should've been banned over here. He actually wouldn't leave until we promised him we'd remove it or just stop using it - scared me enough to stop until we can afford to put in a semi-decent electric one.

So am I right in thinking, as long as you do not use the gas boiler it is safe, or should it be removed?
    We stopped using ours as I had heard they were not properly installed and also it was causing a smell in the room, so instead we got a second radiator in the sitting room, under the window, as it is a large room, much happier with that.

• Advertisement

Spongebopp wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking, as long as you do not use the gas boiler it is safe, or should it be removed?
    We stopped using ours as I had heard they were not properly installed and also it was causing a smell in the room, so instead we got a second radiator in the sitting room, under the window, as it is a large room, much happier with that.

I assume by "boiler" you mean the gas fire? We still haven't gotten around to removing ours but yes, as long as it's not in use he said it was fine. He recommended putting in an electric fire, though we wouldn't get nearly as much heat from it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The gas fire can't hurt you if it is not turned on. Just don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

I assume by "boiler" you mean the gas fire? We still haven't gotten around to removing ours but yes, as long as it's not in use he said it was fine. He recommended putting in an electric fire, though we wouldn't get nearly as much heat from it unfortunately.

Thanks both,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Gotta love the internet.
    Jerry Rosenfarb serviced a gas boiler for me in Charlesland last week, provided a cert, chatted pleasantly with the neighbours about the goodold daze and gave me some very useful advice on a radiator in the back bedroom that doesn't heat up too well.

So for servicing your gas boiler he was perfect. And crucially he is available. I had being trying to arrange another lad for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

How was he on price?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Jerry has serviced our boiler on a number of occasions and is a true gent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

astrofluff wrote: »
    How was he on price?

€65

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

+ 1 for Gerry. He's a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Just had Jerry out to fix our boiler, was expecting a big bill, was very pleasantly surprised with his price and would highly recommend him.
    Nice warm house after 3 days of no heat..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pkaiser

+1 for Gerry as well.

He advised us to disable the gas fire (and he disabled it for us as we never used it anyway). He also inspected the entire gas installation (boiler, gas fire, hob...), checked condition of pipework and flexible connectors etc.

He asked for 75 Euro for over an hour long inspection. Since I just moved in here and had no idea when was the gas installation checked for the last time, this was well spent money.

Will be calling him again.

Advertisement