Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sicily or Athens Advice please

• 18-08-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, we are looking at booking a week away around the first week in September. Was looking at Ryanair and Aer Lingus for flights. Was thinking of going to Siciliy with Ryanair or Athens with Aer Lingus but we dont know anything about the places. Has anyone been and can you recommend hotels - we are quite lazy holiday makers and usually spend a few days chillin by the pool so a good pool is important. Are these places expensive? We are mid 30's, lazy, like to eat out in evening, have a few drinks, but would also consider all-inclusive if economical. All advice welcome. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Sicily is very expensive compared to other European destinations, although some parts are moreso than others. For eg, we had a meal for two which consisted of:
    1 pizza,
    1 chicken dish,
    1 mozarella and tomato salad
    1 500ml bottle of water
    1 beer
    1 wine
    the total price was €85. I kid you not! The water alone was €7 and the wine was €10! Granted this was in Taormina, but the restaurant was not a plush posh place, just a general restaurant!

I would imagine Athens is cheaper, but if it is a hang by the pool sort of holiday you want, then Athens is not the place to go I would reckon - its a capital city afterall. Most people go there for sightseing and culture. You could get a ferry to one of the islands. If you were to do that, it might actually be more economical to just get a package, but I'm not sure about that as I don't know how much the Aer Lingus flights are.

I know that there were last minute offers last week to Crete for less than €400 pps in self catering accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

From Athens you can get a ferry to any number of greek islands, very easy to do. Given the state of the Greek economy I wouldn't hang around Athens too long....give it a night or maybe 2, I wouldn't say it was a good 'lazy' destination. You've got a fair bit of uphill walking to do for example if you wanted to go and see the Acropolis etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Crete €327, SC, 23rd September here

Crete €390, SC, 16th September here

Zakynthos, €482, B&B 14th September here

Corfu, €383, SC, 14th September here

Flights only to Athens with Aer Lingus around the same dates are between €350- €500 for the same periods (last flight out of Athens is 15th Sept). So I reckon a last minute package is the most economical way to go. And it is more suited to a lazy pool/beach holiday. You are more or less getting flights and accom for the same price as a flight only. And for that price you'll get checked in luggage, a rep in the resort, transfers and some of the deals are B&B - might not be showstopping brekkie, but even if its just toast and cereal its still nice to have the option!

or if you are willing to travel from Belfast, you can get a week in Greece from €380 with thomas cook

Advertisement