Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne to Sydney, worth the drive?

Options
  • 18-08-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

I'm planning a trip for some family coming over around Nov/Dec. We'll be going to both Melbourne and Sydney and were contemplating driving it over about 4 days. We estimate the journey to take about 12 hours so we would do it in 3 legs of 4 hours driving or 4 legs of 3 hours. In any case, we would only do it if there was something worth seeing on the way - landmarks, nice beaches, scenic drives, that kind of thing. The alternative is just fly and skip the whole lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Essien wrote: »
    I'm planning a trip for some family coming over around Nov/Dec. We'll be going to both Melbourne and Sydney and were contemplating driving it over about 4 days. We estimate the journey to take about 12 hours so we would do it in 3 legs of 4 hours driving or 4 legs of 3 hours. In any case, we would only do it if there was something worth seeing on the way - landmarks, nice beaches, scenic drives, that kind of thing. The alternative is just fly and skip the whole lot.

I'd skip it. Port Marquarie is nice but other then that there isn't much to see. The less said about Coff's Harbour the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'd skip it. Port Marquarie is nice but other then that there isn't much to see. The less said about Coff's Harbour the better!

eh since when is Port Mac and Coffs on the way from Melbourne to Sydney?

OP it's a 9-10 hr drive from Sydney to Melbourne (or vice versa) on the Hume and although it's good enough drive there not much to see, if you go the Princes Hwy (along the coast) it will take a bit longer than 12 hours.

South coast of NSW and around Lakes Entrance in Vic is well worth the drive if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

mandrake04 wrote: »

eh since when is Port Mac and Coffs on the way from Melbourne to Sydney?

OP it's a 9-10 hr drive from Sydney to Melbourne (or vice versa) on the Hume and its a good although it's good enough drive there not much to see, if you go the Princes Hwy (along the coast) it will take a bit longer than 12 hours.

South coast of NSW and around Lakes Entrance in Vic is well worth the drive if you have the time.

We'll be taking the long way, so as much coast as we can get really. I was estimating roughly 12 hours that way, a bit longer wouldn't be the end of the world. We would have no interest in driving the shorter inland route.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Save yourself a few days and fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Essien wrote: »
    We'll be taking the long way, so as much coast as we can get really. I was estimating roughly 12 hours that way, a bit longer wouldn't be the end of the world. We would have no interest in driving the shorter inland route.

At most 14 due to traffic

an extra 1.5-2 hrs would not be much spread over 3 days, very leisurely drive but as said you could skip it and fly.

personally I rate road trips over flying but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You could easily spend a day or so in Canberra.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Keep an eye on this site too http://www.standbyrelocs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

The coast route between Melb and Sydney has some great places to stop & stay. I'd make the first stop Lakes entrance, trip over to 90mile beach etc. There is enough in Lakes and surrounds for a few days - it is a holiday destination in it's own right. I can't remember the name but i'm sure there is an island nearby as well where there are thousands of koalas and also kangaroos you can hand feed. Buchan caves is also worth the visit. From there you start to drive through the bush until you reach Eden on the coast of NSW. You could have another night in either Eden, Merimbula, Pambula or Tartha, all again popular holiday destinations (esp with Victorians and was even more before Victoia got pokie machines!) There are fantastic beaches all along this stretch of coast. Depending on the time of year you can go whale watching out of Eden also. If anyone in the family is into diving there is plenty to do in this area. Theres also a wildlife park around too and a fun park(magic mountain) if it's still open. From there i'd head to Narooma, again on the coast, with some more great diving at Montague island, inc the endangered grey nurse shark. Also deep sea fishing is accessible from here. From Narooma then i'd head to Jervis Bay for a night and then finally into Sydney.

As said each of these stops are popular holiday destinations so accomodation won't be a problem, although book ahead, esp during school holidays (although sounds like you are going before then). There is enough to keep people occupied for a week or more in each place between the sea and the bush (which i haven't mentioned other than Buchan caves as it involves going more off track). I spent a lot of holidays in Lakes and the Pambula/Tarthra region growing up and then when older diving in Eden and Narooma.

Advertisement