Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infection, advice please

Options
  • 18-08-2012 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

Got a nape piercing in April(ish) and last week it got infected, possibly because some dumbass in the nightclub pulled my neck.

Anyway, I've had infected piercings before and managed to get rid of the infection in all but one case, had a surface piercing begin to reject due to infection before.

The nape one has a bubble on one side, and some days has bee n quite sore. I have been cleaning it with boiling water with sea salt, and savlon cream. Switched to that yellow savlon spray yesterday.

Basically, I want to know if it's more serious to have the infection in this location as I know there's a lot of nerve endings there. And I don't know at what stage to give in, let it heal and just wait to get it done again. Anyone with experience got any advice or stories for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont take the piercing out.Keep up with the salt soaks but dont use savlon.

Id say its probably not infected just got irritated..same happened mine.A shirt got caught in it.If its infected you`ll have yellow pus oozing out of it.

Stick with the salt soaks but sea salt only.

Sea Salt Soaks
    1. Wash your hands thoroughly with liquid antibacterial or antimicrobial soap
    2. Place a pinch of sea salt in the bottom of a small disposable cup. About 1/8 teaspoon.
    3. Add hot tap water - no hotter than a drinkable hot beverage - to the salt. Use about 3 ounces of water - which is just over half-full in a 5 ounce cup.
    4. If possible, invert the cup right over the piercing and allow it to stay there for 5 minutes. This usually works well for nipple and navel piercings. If you can't create a sufficient seal against the skin with the cup, then soak a cotton ball in the salt water solution and apply the cotton ball to the piercing. When it cools down, throw it away and place a newly saturated cotton ball on the piercing. Do this for 5 minutes. 5. Rinse the piercing with warm water and dry with a clean paper towel.

Soaking Tips
    •Only pure sea salt is to be used. Table salt, kosher salt, epsom salts, and iodized sea salts are not acceptable. Sea salt can be found in many grocery stores and almost all health food stores.
    •If you are not sure about the solution strength, put a dab on your finger and taste it with the tip of your tongue. It should be no saltier than a potato chip.
    •To aid in healing a new piercing, sea salt soaks once a day should be sufficient. If your piercing is irritated, increase sea salt soaks to 2-3 times per day until the irritation subsides.
    •If your piercing becomes irritated as a result of sea salt soaks, you are probably using either the wrong kind of salt or have made your solution too strong.

From about.com^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I found sea salt soaks to be the best, but my doctor gave me a cream before called fucidin and its very good for surface infections. But sea salt soaks work great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I think there is an infection, but its inside the piercing, which is why it hasn't gone away yet. Persevering with the sea salt soak for now, maybe I'll give it another week and hope for a big improvement. Thanks for the replies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

True infections are not that common in piercings at all. Most people self diagnose it as an infection when it is something a lot less worrying. Call into the piercer who did it and ask them to have a look at it. They'll know the best course of action.

Advertisement