Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology in UL or LIT?

• 18-08-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

...give me advice on this.. pros, cons.. anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I'll give you a more in-depth answer in PM, but just one question: would you prefer practical work, or theory work? Because there's a lot of the latter in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mavis93

hmm.. probably practical.. I heard the course in UL is supposed to be more academic alright.. is it hard to grasp?

It's not too bad but there are an awful lot of bullsh*t modules in first year. One of the ones that catch a lot of people out is Programming, I found it ok but you'd need to be in the right mind for it or you'll end up repeating the exam (or worse, the year). It's supposed to get a lot better after 1st year though.

I am really stuck between UL and LIT now :( I would love to go to UL for the college but really I should probably be going to LIT.. :S so confused right now.. I also have to take the special maths exam on thursday, have you heard of anyone who has done that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

MMPT always struck me as more of a general media course than music in particular. I know more about music production than some 3rd year students and I only do it as a hobby! Good that they do focus on stuff like Max/MSP though which has many uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

I'm going to try and keep this as brief as possible.

Is this BSc in Music, Media, and Performance Technology you are looking at or is it the MSc in Music Technology?

Also is it music production you are looking to do? If it is I would say stay from MMPT. The course in LIT has practical from day 1 where the UL one is all theory will as little practical as possible. The maths aren't too bad really and there's a good deal of support in the Maths Learning Centre so you'll be grand really.

Here's an extensive list of what MMPT actually prepares you for:

Working on a stage for 1 hour before being sent home for endangering everyone else.
    Sound for an open mic night.
    Producing YouTube vídeos that get no more than 500 views.

And that's about it.

What I'm trying to say is it's not what the course offers you, it's what you have to offer the course. The coursework is so broad and vague that you'll never specialize in anything until your final year project and even then you won't have much help with it as you will have to teach it all to yourself.

Not trying to sound cynical about it but I'm in it for the University degree and not the actual subject matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cchaney

CJKeane wrote: »

Here's an extensive list of what MMPT actually prepares you for:

Working on a stage for 1 hour before being sent home for endangering everyone else.
    Sound for an open mic night.
    Producing YouTube vídeos that get no more than 500 views.

And that's about it.

Haha brilliant.. I'm starting MMPT this year too.. Just out of curiosity, what's the timetable like for first year? I started Biomedical science last year in DIT and the timetable was sick!

cchaney wrote: »
    I'm starting MMPT this year too.. Just out of curiosity, what's the timetable like for first year? I started Biomedical science last year in DIT and the timetable was sick!

About 15-16 hours each semester, I think. There's a lot of "free time" there.

Thanks for all the advise! :D I'm wondering if its worth it to slave away at the Maths books the way I am.. Daaamn I really want to go to UL though.. Yeees I know that it's not about the college but the course..

Advertisement