Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenfiddich 18 year old Ancient Reserve

Options
  • 18-08-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi guys, Maybe people here know,

I have a bottle of this, valued on the Whiskey exchange valued at £225 stg.

I am leaving Ireland and wont be taking it with me.

I have no idea if you can sell it on sites, I know adverts.ie dont allow, or where I may find whiskey collectors that may be interested in it.

It is in its original box, unopened. It is actually a lovely bottle to. I would hate it to go into storage when I leave.

If any one has ideas let me know

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You could try the cetic whiskey shop on dawson street. Some people sell them on ebay or on online auctions, but I am not for a minute suggesting you do so. There are legal issues with selling alcoholic beverages.

Do you want to post a picture of it so that people can see it, give some details as to provenance etc?

Ancient reserve is the name for all their 18 year old whisky. The one on the whiskey exchange I think you are looking at is in a black ceramic bottle. From what I can see on the internet it is a nice bottle but the whiskey inside isn't as good as more recent glenfiddich 18s.

In any event, just because the whiskey exchange are asking for £225 doesn't mean that it is valued at that. They could have just one bottle of it that they are prepared to sit on for 3 years waiting for someone who is looking for exactly that bottle and will pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Thanks for the reply. Ya I felt selling online can be slightly tricky.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks for the reply. Ya I felt selling online can be slightly tricky.

See what the celtic whiskey shop say so. I assume similar problems arise there but they might be in a better position to deal with it.

If you want to get a better idea of the value before doing so, maybe post in the collector's corner of the irishwhiskeysociety.com.

The reason I ask about provenance is that if this was a present or has some special family connection and you can only get €50-60 for selling it on, you may as well crack it open on one of your last nights and make an occasion of it.

YA I have posted there to see what they say.

I have a few bottles unopened and between all of them one will be cracked open hahha.

I have a Midleton, 25 year old chivas, 30 year old glengraic 1976 bottle 217 of 219, 1915 gold medal Jack Daniels, 160th birthday Jack Daniels, Really old brown bells bottle, Silver edition Blantons single malt, And signature Jim Beam in the leather bag.

Hmmmmmm now I wanna go on a tasting spree.

Cheers for all your help mate. I had never though bout selling until recently.

I have been looking around the net now, and €150 would be a better valuation for this bottle for sure.

Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

I have been looking around the net now, and €150 would be a better valuation for this bottle for sure.

Thanks for the heads up

that's probably closerto the mark alright but remember you are looking for someone who likes nice bottles to put up on a shelf never to be drunk. People who actually want to drink it probably won't pay as much.

That midleton on the other hand...

If you fancy putting pictures of the other bottles up please do - more for discussion than anything else.

What's the glengraic? Is it glencraig or glengarioch?

that's probably closerto the mark alright but remember you are looking for someone who likes nice bottles to put up on a shelf never to be drunk. People who actually want to drink it probably won't pay as much.

If you fancy putting pictures of the other bottles up please do - more for discussion than anything else.

Hahaha sorry, Glengraig. It was a typo. That was a present for my 30th birthday. You know, 30 year old for a 30 year old hahaha

The midleton is a 2007 and the chivas, well well. Id be terrified to open it incase i got stuck in some night after the pub hahaha

Here is my whiskey shelf

Hahaha sorry, Glengraig. It was a typo. That was a present for my 30th birthday. You know, 30 year old for a 30 year old hahaha

The midleton is a 2007 and the chivas, well well. Id be terrified to open it incase i got stuck in some night after the pub hahaha

if it was a present then the glencraig is an ideal one for your farewell drinks. Is it the signatory tin in the back? Signatory usually do very good quality sigle cask whiskies. Also, whiskey collectors (as in the type described above) don't care very much for them so don't pay over the odds.

The others eg midleton and chivas will probably sell quite easily if you are so inclined (I think I saw a 2007 midleton on adverts for €180 recently and chivas is considered a more luxurious blend than most).

if it was a present then the glencraig is an ideal one for your farewell drinks. Is it the signatory tin in the back? Signatory usually do very good quality sigle cask whiskies. Also, whiskey collectors (as in the type described above) don't care very much for them so don't pay over the odds.

The others eg midleton and chivas will probably sell quite easily if you are so inclined (I think I saw a 2007 midleton on adverts for €180 recently and chivas is considered a more luxurious blend than most).

Ya its a signatory. And will be my going away drinks for sure.

Wow 180 is alot for it. That would be nice.
    I will bring my little Johnny walker blue label with me to open on my first night in new place hahaha. Its small and will travel well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

One sold on scotchwhiskyauctions recently for just over £100. The buyer pays another 10% so about £110 is a realistic price. You could get more. So in euro €150 isn't a bad valuation.

You can sell it on ebay no problem as long as you sell it as a collectable. And you can't list it beyond the UK and Ireland.

I have a 2007 Midleton for sale to as I dont want it going into storage and never enjoyed.

Very hard to sell whisky in a country where you cant really advertise it hahaha

Advertisement