Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zen at War

• 18-08-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I was watching a talk the other day where Zizek points out that some of Zen was supportive of war, especially on the Japanese front. He speaks of it in relation to D. T. Suzuki and how war in the eyes of an enlightened person would simply be a detached view of the dance of karma.

Admittedly I was a bit taken aback by this. It kind of makes sense, and yet seems so contrary to other Buddhist teaching.

I found this today:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_at_War

Interesting how Zen is embroilled in politics. Something obvious that I never really considered.

A nice quote from the end of that wiki article:
    "Now that we’ve had the book on Yasutani Roshi opened for us, we are presented with a new koan. Like so many koans, it is painfully baffling: How could an enlightened Zen master have spouted such hatred and prejudice? The nub of this koan, I would suggest, is the word enlightened. If we see enlightenment as an all-or-nothing place of arrival that confers a permanent saintliness on us, then we’ll remain stymied by this koan. But in fact there are myriad levels of enlightenment, and all evidence suggests that, short of full enlightenment (and perhaps even with it—who knows?), deeper defilements and habit tendencies remain rooted in the mind." - Bodhin Kholhede

Here's the whole talk if anyone's interested. It's long and with some NSFW content. The Zen comment is lost in the middle somewhere.

Advertisement