Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doomsday Preppers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

yeah i saw the ad for that also.
    Will be interesting to watch.

If any one has a spare $50,000 to $10 million dollars you too can be prepared with your own Doomsday Bunker.:D

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-07/can-i-sell-you-an-underground-bunker-.html

well im off to buy my lottery ticket.
    i''ll buy my 7 million dollar bunker on monday. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks for the post!

This is my first time looking at this forum properly, and I think that will serve as a good intro to survivalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

wolfeye wrote: »
    yeah i saw the ad for that also.
    Will be interesting to watch.

If any one has a spare $50,000 to $10 million dollars you too can be prepared with your own Doomsday Bunker.:D

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-07/can-i-sell-you-an-underground-bunker-.html

well im off to buy my lottery ticket.
    i''ll buy my 7 million dollar bunker on monday. :P

You could spend your money on a lottery ticket or...

E3 each week is 156. per annum.
    Which means that in 25 yrs you could have bought this instead...

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=101677

Which is enough land to live on.

Then build one of these
    3742194643_d344812b84.jpg

which will cost you another five years worth of lotto tickets, making you a happy, self sufficient survivalist in a mere thirty years.

If you had started at 18, that means you could be retiring at 48.:)
    all for the price of a lottery ticket.

Alternatively you could by a chicken for less than a month’sworth of lotto ticket.

http://www.buyandsell.ie/farming/poultry/kildare/point-of-lay-pullets-for-sale-10

Presuming you use your current space to grow food for themand use yours/neighbours cuttings and kitchen waste to raise worms to feedthem, you can keep this hen happily laying for free.

Presuming your hen will provide you with a least a dozeneggs a month (low estimate) which you can sell for E6 (valued at Tesco pricefor free range eggs) then you will have recovered your money in 3 months. Havethe hen lay for a further 2 yrs, you will make 144 euros from her, as well asgetting some eggs for yourself, or to sell to cover some costs for chickencare.

If you could raise 2 hens, which only need about as muchground space as a single bed, you would be making 144 annually. You will alsoneed about the ame amount of space to compost worms, and grow some greens forthem.

Add this to the lotto ticket money you are saving and youcould be buying your land, building and retiring in a mere 25 years, or at 43presuming you start at 18.

bonniebede wrote: »
    You could spend your money on a lottery ticket or...

E3 each week is 156. per annum.
    Which means that in 25 yrs you could have bought this instead...

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=101677

Which is enough land to live on.

Then build one of these
    3742194643_d344812b84.jpg

which will cost you another five years worth of lotto tickets, making you a happy, self sufficient survivalist in a mere thirty years.

If you had started at 18, that means you could be retiring at 48.:)
    all for the price of a lottery ticket.

Ahhh geez dont take me to hand over my tongue in cheek comment about buying a lottery ticket.:D
    Dont forget inflation will be eating into my 156 euro a years savings so i'd need to increase this by 5% per year to take that into account.

The problem is we are talking about two different types of shelters.
    A bunker is built to provide protection from man made disasters such as nucleur attack,bio terrorism and social unheavel and natural disasters such asteroids ,supervolcanos and tsumanis.
    They can have airfiltration units,blast doors and water generators.

The above structure would not protect from such scenarios.

• Advertisement

Alternatively you could by a chicken for less than a month’sworth of lotto ticket.

http://www.buyandsell.ie/farming/poultry/kildare/point-of-lay-pullets-for-sale-10

Presuming you use your current space to grow food for themand use yours/neighbours cuttings and kitchen waste to raise worms to feedthem, you can keep this hen happily laying for free.

Presuming your hen will provide you with a least a dozeneggs a month (low estimate) which you can sell for E6 (valued at Tesco pricefor free range eggs) then you will have recovered your money in 3 months. Havethe hen lay for a further 2 yrs, you will make 144 euros from her, as well asgetting some eggs for yourself, or to sell to cover some costs for chickencare.

If you could raise 2 hens, which only need about as muchground space as a single bed, you would be making 144 annually. You will alsoneed about the ame amount of space to compost worms, and grow some greens forthem.

Add this to the lotto ticket money you are saving and youcould be buying your land, building and retiring in a mere 25 years, or at 43presuming you start at 18.

If only one of them hens could lay a Fabergé egg then i could get that bunker :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This is a very clever way of looking at the positives of "backgarden" hen rearing, but a house near me has recently got into this (admittedly they have about a dozen hens and a couple of geese) and the amount of fencing and fox proofing they have had to put in is fairly substantial. You'd also have a coop of some sort, so all that profit might take a bit longer to roll around in ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This is a very clever way of looking at the positives of "backgarden" hen rearing, but a house near me has recently got into this (admittedly they have about a dozen hens and a couple of geese) and the amount of fencing and fox proofing they have had to put in is fairly substantial. You'd also have a coop of some sort, so all that profit might take a bit longer to roll around in ;)

Keeping an eye on freecycle and such sites, you could probably scavenge enough wood and fencing to built what is needed for free.

Ahhh geez dont take me to hand over my tongue in cheek comment about buying a lottery ticket.:D
    Dont forget inflation will be eating into my 156 euro a years savings so i'd need to increase this by 5% per year to take that into account.

The problem is we are talking about two different types of shelters.
    A bunker is built to provide protection from man made disasters such as nucleur attack,bio terrorism and social unheavel and natural disasters such asteroids ,supervolcanos and tsumanis.
    They can have airfiltration units,blast doors and water generators.

The above structure would not protect from such scenarios.

it would if it was camoflaging this:
    the_underground_military_command_bunkers_of_zossen_germany_l.jpg
    as you say the cost goes up though, but you'd be amazed what you get as ex military surplus from eastern europe these days.:D
    or a more do ti yourself version
    Bomb%20Shelter%20Skecth.jpg

once you have the little innocent house up you just start to dig at night.
    Having saved diligently for 25 years you are likely to have plenty of patience for it.

it would if it was camoflaging this:
    the_underground_military_command_bunkers_of_zossen_germany_l.jpg
    as you say the cost goes up though, but you'd be amazed what you get as ex military surplus from eastern europe these days.:D
    or a more do ti yourself version
    Bomb%20Shelter%20Skecth.jpg

once you have the little innocent house up you just start to dig at night.
    Having saved diligently for 25 years you are likely to have plenty of patience for it.

But i want this bunker.
    I don't want to live in a slum ;)

http://www.terravivos.com/secure/solution.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

But i want this bunker.

That bunker is class, €35k for a single person or €85 per person sharing an appartment type set up including all supplies for 1 yr. not bad for a domesday insurance policy! Would want to see the place before i handed over the cash tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Any bunker I bedded down in would want at least four exit routes, air vents would also be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just on now, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

But i want this bunker.

Very impressive. To be honest though it looks too luxurious. Ha! All I was thinking was that the TV was huge and therefore a massive power drain and various other bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It I was prepping for Doomsday the last thing I would be doing is telling anyone else about it.

What about you guys, hows the preparation going?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    It I was prepping for Doomsday the last thing I would be doing is telling anyone else about it.

What about you guys, hows the preparation going?

Ahhh sure it's going slow.
    Forget to put the secret exit of my bunker in.
    Just started to dig under the hen house thats directly behind the house last night to rectify the problem.

Enjoying this series tbh. Some fruitcakes but some interesting stuff too (cheese waxing for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

I would love to see a show focused on the faceless "experts" who rate the preppers and give feedback. They probably wouldnt make half as interesting tv though.

What i find missing from the programme is some focus on the quality of life the people are living now.

For example, the family that is growing all its own food in the garden look like the project has really brought them together as a family, and they seem to be getting great satisfaction out of what they are doing on a daily basis.

Not so sure about some of the others, who seem a bit more frantic.

however it all highlights how we have a natural instinct to be future orientated, to be motivated by considering our welfare in times to come. That is an obvious survival trait for a species like ours, but it is worth considering the degree to which it is frustrated by the level of material comfort we have in the our western culture, and the sense of frustration that many people have that they are powerless to effect major change in big systems, like finance or politics.

Surely the more of a nanny state we develop, which hedges us in on all sides for our own good, the more people will react this way.

What do you think?

Surely the more of a nanny state we develop, which hedges us in on all sides for our own good, the more people will react this way.

What do you think?

I'm not so sure. I would guess that per-capita that preppers make up more of the US and it is much less of a nanny state than we have. If someone can just stroll down the road and buy a rifle plus ammunition to ease their worried mind, I'd say they're more likely to do that (here there are significant barriers to it).

I agree that it's a natural instinct though. I note that most of the people on that show have kids. For me, looking after mine would be a highly motivating factor of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 RodeoClown

Hi All, you have some interesting thoughts on Prepping.

I think there is lot's of level's of prepping.... the extreme of Doomsday preppers that people have become aware of due to the tv show.
    But also alot of us prep without realising it!
    I store logs/wood in the summer for winter, this is prepping! My mother makes jam out of fruit that she grows in her garden again this is prepping.

What do you guys think about this topic??

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Definitely canning, making jams and chutneys or drying foods is prepping.
    It's also a good way to hedge in times of plenty for when times are leaner.
    I'd love to get a dehydrator for making jerky, but same can be done with a wooden box and large light bulb (old hot bulb not cool LED).

An auld lad I used to shoot with in Kerry told me that during the "Emergency" if they shot a deer it got packed in salt to keep, after all the neighbours had taken a cut from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RodeoClown

You have me interested now, I am going to find out about making jerky... great idea

was looking at a portable smoker for fish and meat.

An auld lad I used to shoot with in Kerry told me that during the "Emergency" if they shot a deer it got packed in salt to keep, after all the neighbours had taken a cut from it.

Salting meat was very common in the past (and in fact salt was very valuable because of it). It's still used for fish in Asia quite a bit. It also features prominently in "The Grapes of Wrath".

Advertisement