Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When life gives you limes, make a mojito!

Options
  • 18-08-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

...a rather apt quote to open a new chapter on the logging life :-).

So after a long hard look at my failed attempts at marathon training, I've decided its just not for me. In the misery of my marathon training and all the injuries picked up from my attempts, I'm missing out on all the other things I could be focusing on and having fun with...shorter running events, triathlons, duathlons, etc. I've done a few cycling sportives recently and really enjoyed them so it's made me realise there is so much more to my addiction than training for a marathon.

So the end result is that I am going to bore you all with all those other events and the lead up to them including the odd running event to justify my existence here! This is a log with an identity crisis and its staying here in the A/R forum :-)
    Why a return to the logs, well they keep me honest and motivated to train...

Sat Aug 18th

Run

5 easy miles and after laser treatment this week, shin finally feels good :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

And she's back......we've missed you. Now, get busy making those mojitos!! I'm thirsty.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

jcsmum wrote: »
    And she's back......we've missed you. Now, get busy making those mojitos!! I'm thirsty.
    ;)

I can't thank posts yet, very weird! Hope the coors quenched your thirst last night...actually do they even have coors in the sticks :p

Sun August 19th

Cycle - Leinster Loop

Cycling partner is in taper for a marathon next w-end so the sensible option was taken to just do the 50km route today. Lovely spin out but bloody wind seemed to be in my face the whole time. Another very well organised event with a nice undulating course. Max speed of 47kph on the main road back in was fun :)

Distance: 51km
    Time: 1:46
    Avg Speed: 28.21

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Please post about mojitos as well as training :)

I would hypothesise that training + mojitos = ultimate refreshment, but would be willing to help you investigate this important area going forward ;) Good luck with your research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Banner Phoenix.... anything to River?

I hear ya on all the injuries :( Good luck with all the new stuff.
    How's the swimming going?

• Advertisement

Well done on the cycle. Mojitos next weekend..... :)

davenewt wrote: »
    Please post about mojitos as well as training :)

I would hypothesise that training + mojitos = ultimate refreshment, but would be willing to help you investigate this important area going forward ;) Good luck with your research!

Dave I've done alot of reserach already and they must be done in a certain order. Mojitios the night before a run are a no, no :mad:. After a run is a very different story tho :)
    littlebug wrote: »
    I hear ya on all the injuries :( Good luck with all the new stuff.
    How's the swimming going?

Swimming not going at all LB. Haven't been near a pool since the eyes but have gear packed for a swim tomorrow eve. I signed up for improver lessons in Sept so hopefully that will get me focused again.
    Did you find any targets for yourself?
    Well done on the cycle. Mojitos next weekend..... :)

Lemon and lime will have to do you chuck, you're the dessie after all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Swimming not going at all LB. Haven't been near a pool since the eyes but have gear packed for a swim tomorrow eve. I signed up for improver lessons in Sept so hopefully that will get me focused again.
    Did you find any targets for yourself?

No :( I'm neither one thing nor the other at the minute. I was browsing through runireland the other day and anything that caught my eye and was within reasonable geographical distance is on a day that I'm working. I ended up on Fields of Athenry on 26th dec!! I guess I just keep doing what Im doing and grab opportunities as they arise.

Good luck with the swimming. classes will really help :)

Tuesday Aug 21st

Mix of everything as I went to the gym for this session!

Run - 3 miles

Easy 3 miles on the treadmill and shock horror but I actually enjoyed this session :eek:
    Duration: 30 min

Cycle - 15 km

Hopped onto bike after treddie for 15km hill session. Tough going in parts but a good workout.
    Duration: 31 mins

Swim- 500m

Quick change and into the pool. AAAAAGGGGHHHH I hate swimming and worst part is I was actually looking forward to this.
    First session with new eyes and inspired by the Olympics I couldn't wait. Damm you Phelps, Locte and crew as you make it look so easy :(. This was ugly, very ugly indeed as I really struggled to get 500m done :o. Damm but this discipline needs alot of work...
    Duration: 20 mins :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I was wondering where you got to :o Best of luck with the new log and goals!

Hope Nules is ok, I haven't seen her here in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

RubyK wrote: »
    I was wondering where you got to :o Best of luck with the new log and goals!

Hope Nules is ok, I haven't seen her here in ages.
    :-) still here ruby, still running following no particular plans and have no particular goals and I was getting bored of logging one disaster after another :-) off work at the moment and don't really turn on computer at home as it's a wind up one it's so old and takes ages to come on. The I phone is a pain in the a@@ to type on so that's why haven't been on in a while. Has only taken me an hour to type this :-)

Nules10 wrote: »
    :-) still here ruby, still running following no particular plans and have no particular goals and I was getting bored of logging one disaster after another :-) off work at the moment and don't really turn on computer at home as it's a wind up one it's so old and takes ages to come on. The I phone is a pain in the a@@ to type on so that's why haven't been on in a while. Has only taken me an hour to type this :-)

Oh when you back to work again Nules - those early morns will be a shock to the system eh :D

Wed August 22nd

Cycle

A nice cycle between the showers.

Distance: 25km
    Time: 56 mins

Thur Aug 23rd

Run

Plan was 4 miles tempo. First 2 miles were tough into the wind and rain but actually enjoyable. Apart from when a complete tosspot decided to soak me further by flying through a puddle/lake - I'd swear he swerved into it on purpose :mad:. 2 back home were lovely with the wind at my back. I like running in the rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nules10 wrote: »

Good stuff Nules, glad all's well :) Nice to be able to run when you feel like it, and not be tied to a plan.

Sat Aug 25th

Cycle and Run

Up and out at the crack of dawn this morning (well for me anyway!) as I needed to be somewhere by 12. Idea was to do a bike ride and then tag on a few easy run miles afterwards.
    For some unknown reason at the last second I swapped from road bike to MTB (the cheap crappy one). Bloody hell its so much harder on the mtb and this was a real struggle towards the end. You notice the breeze alot more on this bike too not to mention the hills! Initial plan was about 40km but ended up doing 47km on it.

Quick turnaround back home and out for the run. I would have liked to have done 4/5 miles but stuck for time so I could only fit 3 in. Totally messed up the garmin too as I forgot to switch it back to run mode so stats are all over the place.

I'll be honest and say my legs are wrecked after this. Any random thoughts of racing a 10km I'm doing tomorrow are well and truely knocked on the head. It'll be a slow jog around.

Bike: 47km
    Run: 3 miles

**I can only bike in km and run in miles. Ask me to swap them and I'm confused as hell :rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

your legs might surprise you tomorrow!!!! Ehjoy!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I didnt realise you were back as someone else. Havent been on here in yonks. Here look you'll be flying tmrw, I havent run in two days....at least your legs wont be shocked out of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

5 easy miles and after laser treatment this week, shin finally feels good :-)

Hi,
    Just wondering did you have a shin splints problem and you got treatment with a laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Here you are.....and you're already flying!!!! :) Good woman for braving the mountain bike. That's some tough going that will stand to you.

Sun Aug 26th

The birds weren't even awake when I got up this morning to head off to this. Only for I paid a fortune for the entry (thanks jcsmum) I would have hit the snooze button ;)
    Chauffeur got us there in plenty of time but we weren't exactly enthusiastic about this! Half kicked off first so jcsmum and her well secured balloon took off into the distance while Ro and I ambled around for another half hour.

Finally 10km kicked off and the first 2 miles were fab and I settled into a nice rhythm picking off a few people along the way. The thoughts of a PB even crossed my mind but then at around 2.5 miles we hit the first hill and I was scuppered. Legs just had nothing in them for the hills and my breathing was all over the place. I thought bugger it and slowed right down as it wasn't a goal race. Had a chat then with anyone who would listen which is quite hard to do when there's only about 90 odd in the race :rolleyes:.

Up another mountain incline and boreen before heading back on the main road. I tried to pick it up for the last 1.5 miles but just nothing in the tank and jogged over the line wrecked in 55 mins.
    No consistent run training with a combination of not being race fit and tired from introduction of bike training meant it was a bad day at the office. Before hand I would have been happy with sub 60 but was disappointed not to go at least sub 55.

On a positive note 2 cups of coffee and 2 buns later I was back to normal :).

A well organised race and I do really like the friendliness of these smaller club races. Well done to jcsmum on a cracking pacer debut and Ro on a great time.

• Advertisement

RandyMann wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering did you have a shin splints problem and you got treatment with a laser?

Yep will PM you with the details

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks and yeah these 2 are already on my hitlist as well as http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741208. Then that should be it for the sportive season! Are you doing any of them yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Currently have no interest in doing any running so thinking of maybe just doing a few of these to give me something to do at weekends yeah. :) Bike is in a bit of a jock though so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Ah tis yourself! Back in action and flying it I see - best of luck with everything

Ooops haven't updated this in a while. I was away last week and motivation was at an all time low so I basically did nothing using the excuse it was too hot! So tried to get my ass in motion again with the following poor shows!

Fri 31st: 3 forgettable miles back in Dub

Sat Sept 1st: 4 forgettable miles

Sun Sept 2nd: 11 horrible miles
    Having signed up last min for the Dub half on Fri night, had to get my ass in gear and do some sort of LSR. It's been months since I've done anything decent and oh was this tough. Thanks to Nules for dragging me around this. This half is not going to be fun! I should have picked a shorter distance to motivate me!!

Mon Sept 3rd: 3 nice miles around malahide castle and legs felt fine after sunday's crap.

Tues Sept 4th: Enforced rest day as I was on the move again.

Wed Sept 5th: I snuck off for some altitude and heat training (like I had a choice in the matter!!). 4 tough miles and breathing was all over the place. I'm blaming the altitude...although in fairness it's only about 1800m. Forgot to pack socks so feet are in bits - I seriously did think about using that as an excuse to do nothing!!

And you complain that my log has no information ;)

And you complain that my log has no information ;)

Who me complain...dunno what you're talking about. Nobody by the name of banner_phoenix has ever complained on your log...yet ;).

Fri Sept 7th

Warning...grouchy and tired post!

Sports massage on agenda for the afternoon so had to get my run done earlier. 2 "slight" problems with that was I had to do it after getting straight off a long flight so I was shattered. Also a big fat f**ker had dropped his big fat f**king suitcase on my little toe during one of the flights. Ouch says I to him in rather more colourful language :mad:.

So this run was a slog, my toe was sore and I was feeling sorry for myself.
    Off to massage then after for a "nice" dry needling session...achilles and calves tight. Lets just say now my toe is not the only thing aching. I tell ya I'd lay into a bottle of red wine only for I've a flipping sportive at stupid o'clock in the morning :rolleyes:. One glass may not do any harm though...for medicinal purposes obviously :)

4 miles in a time I won't even mention!

• Advertisement

Sat Sept 8th

I had planned on doing the Leisure Loop Cycle Sportive but when the alarm went off at 06:45, I knew there was no chance of me doing it. I was just knackered so took the wise decision to give it a miss. A bit annoyed though as it was such a fab day

Sun Sept 9th

LSR - 12 miles

I was a bit nervous of the run this morning as last weeks was soooo bad. Picked up Nules and can def say we were not enthusiastic about this at all :rolleyes:. Met up with another runner in the car park and off we took with the idea of doing most of the half route. I'm not a fan of the changes that were made to the route I will admit. But its not as if it will make much of a difference to my time anyway!
    This was much more comfortable than last week and exactly what I needed before next week. Must have been all that altitude training during the week :). There will be no PB next week but at least I know I can get around comfortably...whether that happens or not is another story :rolleyes:.
    Achilles is still complaining so will have to take it handy during the week

I'm looking forward to getting this out of the way and then putting a proper plan in place for Waterford half maybe.

Advertisement