Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When life gives you limes, make a mojito!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck with the training and the run next weekend.

I did some of the new route on Saturday, and the bit outside of Farmleigh looks a bit mad - Tower Road? I presume they'll be closing it to traffic for the morning?
    Best of luck anyway. Maybe I'll see ye there? Or at Ryans (assuming I make it that far!:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Picked up Nules and can def say we were not enthusiastic about this at all :rolleyes:.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice run at the weekend shaz! Best of luck for Saturday, and you should def aim for the Waterford half on 1st Dec :) It's a good one to race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

i was craving a bit of company for my LSR yesterday, if i'd know you & nules(or anyone..nothing on the thread!!) were going to be in the park i would have joined ye!!!
    Defo need company for my 2 x 20 miles coming up inthe next few weeks so hopefully will be heading for the park.....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Ah jeanie i didnt even think to text you yesterday. I was in park at around 9.30 for a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Younganne wrote: »
    i was craving a bit of company for my LSR yesterday, if i'd know you & nules(or anyone..nothing on the thread!!) were going to be in the park i would have joined ye!!!
    Defo need company for my 2 x 20 miles coming up inthe next few weeks so hopefully will be heading for the park.....
    Ah jeanie i didnt even think to text you yesterday. I was in park at around 9.30 for a few.

Sorry ladies twas a late start for us (11:30) so we didn't mention anything as we wanted to play it by ear.

Emer911 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training and the run next weekend.

I did some of the new route on Saturday, and the bit outside of Farmleigh looks a bit mad - Tower Road? I presume they'll be closing it to traffic for the morning?
    Best of luck anyway. Maybe I'll see ye there? Or at Ryans (assuming I make it that far!:rolleyes: )

Yeah we saw that last week, hope the roads will be closed alright. Also not sure about going out onto the footpaths on Conyingham road. Its prob the first half course I know well and I'm not sure I like that!!
    I def won't see you during the race but yeah maybe afterwards.

Sorry ladies twas a late start for us (11:30) so we didn't mention anything as we wanted to play it by ear.

11.30? Sure I'd the dinner ate by then :)

11.30? Sure I'd the dinner ate by then :)

Well if we'd known you were cooking dinner (or heating M&S dinners :p), we could have started earlier.

i didn't go out until 12!!!
    hopefully for the one next weekend.

Hey Ro are you signed up for the marathon, are you doing silly miles ie 20 next weekend???? Only problem for me is Sat morning are difficult with kids football if OH is working...Sunday much better but that might affect you youngwans and nights out partying!!!(oh i can't remember that far back!!:()

• Advertisement

Tues Sept 11th

Easy Run - 3 miles

A nice easy run and a lovely eve for it by the sea.

Wed Sept 12th

Progression Run - 30 mins

I haven't done one of these for a long while. Broke it into 3 parts: 10 mins easy, 10 mins steady @HM pace and 10 mins @5km pace. c/d walk/jog back to car.
    I really enjoyed this and wasn't quite as knackered at the 5km pace as I thought I would be. Achilles achey on slower sections but not a gug out of it at 5km pace :confused:

Thur Sept 13th

Easy Run - 4 miles

What a lovely evening for a run...well the first half anyway. The route back was into the wind but eh twas fun :D. Really wished I had a camera with me as the estuary looked fab.
    Found my way back to the gaudy/colourful DS Trainers which I wasn't supposed to wear until shin settled. Oh there are so comfy and shin felt fine in them so all good :cool:. Going to try them on Sat but longest I've ever run in them is 10km so a bit of an experiment. Achilles still niggling but will take next week off running and get it sorted after the half. Then I have a plan ready to go for Waterford :). First time in ages I'm looking forward to starting a good phase of running.

Sounds like someone's in lurve with running :). Savage wind out there tonight. Whats Waterford?

Sounds like someone's in lurve with running :). Savage wind out there tonight. Whats Waterford?

I love running, me :D :rolleyes:. Waterford is the half on first w-end in Dec which of course equals road trip so pack your runners :)

I was thinking that was the Waterford you were talking about. Sure that is light years away, You'll probably be aiming for a sub-1.20 by then

I was thinking that was the Waterford you were talking about. Sure that is light years away, You'll probably be aiming for a sub-1.20 by then

No sub 1:20 is a bit of reach I think...sub 1:25 prob more realistic ;). 65 mins I think for you, yeah!! Don't worry I've a feeling there will be other road trips planned in the mean-time!

Don't forget the Cheerleading gig on the 29th Oct!!!:D
    I will expect to see ye in at least 4 different places with inspiring posters/Banners.... Banner!!!;)

I will expect to see ye in at least 4 different places with inspiring posters/Banners.... Banner!!!;)

+1 My first home-town marathon so I'm expecting lots of friendly faces cheering especially for me :D :cool:

+1 My first home-town marathon so I'm expecting lots of friendly faces cheering especially for me :D :cool:

Which Poster would you like from below:

a) enhanced-buzz-2631-1272045261-3.jpg

OR

b) (4:29 I believe!!)enhanced-buzz-17042-1272041567-3.jpg
    OR

C) enhanced-buzz-2583-1272044250-1.jpg

No sub 1:20 is a bit of reach I think...sub 1:25 prob more realistic ;). 65 mins I think for you, yeah!! Don't worry I've a feeling there will be other road trips planned in the mean-time!

Did somebody say 'road trips'? ;)

• Advertisement

Which Poster would you like from below:

a) enhanced-buzz-2631-1272045261-3.jpg

OR

b) (4:29 I believe!!)enhanced-buzz-17042-1272041567-3.jpg
    OR

C) enhanced-buzz-2583-1272044250-1.jpg

Just surprise us! :D

Best of luck tomorrow shaz :)

I loved the one last year that read "The Wall has a Door":D

Sat Sept 15th

Aaaagggghhhh, seriously want to kick myself for this race but I will begin at the start...

I signed up last minute for this for a few reasons - a) to give myself a kick-up the ass and get motivated b) to judge fitness and c) to see how shin would hold up on the longer distances.
    I knew it was a big ask as I had done very little long runs in the last few months and I actually had to go back to April to find when I had last run 13 miles. So to say I was under no pressure would be an understatement :rolleyes:

It was my first time doing a Race series as I usually help out at them so it was a new experience. I lined up in the middle of wave 3 and slowly took off. My plan was to take it handy enough and just get myself around the course without hassle and without walk breaks.
    I hated the first 2 miles - it's just sooo congested and very hard to get into any sort of rhythm. To be honest it was dangerous down the Kyber as people were jumping all over the place and I thought why did I bother with this. Eventually found some space on mile 3 and picked up the pace. Then I noticed this "gentlemen" behind me. He was hacking up and firing spitballs every 5 seconds and it was turning my stomach as I imagined one of them hitting me :eek:. I tell you I picked up the pace lively but the fecker must have picked me as a target as those spitball noises were not getting further away (possibly because I had politely asked him to stop :rolleyes:). So picked it up further and surprise I found it very comfortable so decided to stick with that pace.

Everything was going really well and I was feeling good as we headed into Farmleigh. So I decided I'd stop in here for a quick luxurious pitstop - didn't really need to but its prob a habit at this stage (as anybody who has run with me in the Park knows :o). Queued up, pitstop and had a nice chat to an older lady in there who was asking all sorts of questions about the race and Connemara (as I had my I hit the wall t-shirt on)****
    Back into the race (yes I eventually remembered there was one on) and began to overtake the same people again thinking to myself that I had passed these a long time ago...Met up with Nules again as I squirted her with water as she blamed the poor sod beside her - I found it funny but not sure she did :D. Chatted for a few mins and continued on my merry little journey down chesterfield and again all going great as I chatted to a few people.

Mile 10 I started to worry about my Achilles as it was just starting to make itself known and I had the hills to come. Back into the park which was now looking more like a scene from the Walking Dead with zombies all over the Millitary Hill. Most people were walking it as I cruised up it slightly cursing the Achilles but also trying to encourage people. All I got were a few blank looks so I gave up :confused:. I was shocked at the lack of atmosphere at this side of the park. It was so silent apart from the huffs and puffs. Maybe I'm used to chatting to people on the long runs but I found it really weird that there was no-one to chat to so I put the head down and ploughed on. Same with the Furry Glen hill, a bit zombie-ish as I zig zagged around people and got up it no-problem. Over the finish line with a strong finish (for me)and lots left in the tank.

So the stats and here comes the part where I am absolutely disgusted :mad::mad:. I looked at the Garmin stats when I got home yesterday and it just put me in a foul mood
    Chip Time: 2:09:06 - was not happy with this when I saw text
    Garmin Avg Moving Time: 2:04:36 :eek::eek:****

I spent almost 5 mins chatting in the flipping loo in the middle of a race. WTF, that is seriously taking the p**s (excusing the pun). That's the only place I stopped as I ran through all the water stations as I had my own. I know I was under no time pressure but that's just stupid. I'm raging with myself for taking a stop when I didn't even need it. Note to self, stop flipping chatting during races.

On the positive side, this run felt relatively easy and the shin held up great. The DS Trainers worked fine on the longer distances so these are my shoes of choice after a lengthy search. Achilles isn't the best but I will get it sorted during the week. But I can't forgive myself for being too conservative and 10 mins off my PB is ridiculous.

Kick up the ass received loud and clear :rolleyes:

You haven't run this distance in 5 months (:eek:) and you made it sound easy peasy. :p
    Don't be so hard on yourself!

Hey Missus, like Emer says don't be so hard on yourself...your aim was to test legs and fitness and i think that was achieved, great time considering you were yapping and enjoying yourself, did you grab a coffee too in Farmleigh:rolleyes: ..you made it sound easy.

Take your lessons away with you and next time you'll be happier after your race. I found the atmosphere very "somber" yesterday and there was only some life encouragement in a few places!!
    Ps i can't imagine you not having the chat on a run;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good stuff Shaz, at least you know you can easily shave a few minutes off that time.

Great stuff Shaz, knew you'd surprise yourself :D Roll on Waterford and sub2!!

pace.

Everything was going really well and I was feeling good as we headed into Farmleigh. So I decided I'd stop in here for a quick luxurious pitstop - didn't really need to but its prob a habit at this stage (as anybody who has run with me in the Park knows :o). Queued up, pitstop and had a nice chat to an older lady in there who was asking all sorts of questions about the race and Connemara (as I had my I hit the wall t-shirt on)****

I've heard it all now!!! :D

• Advertisement

You haven't run this distance in 5 months (:eek:) and you made it sound easy peasy. :p
    Don't be so hard on yourself!

If you run it slow enough, then yeah its easy peasy :rolleyes::D
    Ps i can't imagine you not having the chat on a run;)

I hope you mean that as a compliment :D I'm wearing my headphones on all future races so I won't be tempted to talk!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I've heard it all now!!! :D

Well I slightly exaggerated when I said she was elderly - maybe late 30's, early 40's :p. I was being sociable as I have been taught to respect the elderly...sometimes like this post tho, I slip up :D

Advertisement